What language ist this Please?

If you would like names, words or short phrases transliterated or translated, this is the place to make your requests.

What language ist this Please?

Postby choc_pud » Tue 05 Feb 2013 9:14 pm

Guten Tag, kann jemanden übersetzen diese für mich, bitte? Und welche Sprache ist es in, wen Sie wissen?
Hello, can somebody translate this for me please? And what language is it in, if you know?

"Thu cmhaic braudhn feocs dumps oadhfu thu laedhshai deog, aidh saeod."

Vielen dank! Thankyou!

:ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Re: What language ist this Please?

Postby linguoboy » Tue 05 Feb 2013 9:27 pm

choc_pud wrote:Hello, can somebody translate this for me please? And what language is it in, if you know?

I would be surprised to find out that this represented any known natural language. It looks like a conlang or, possibly, a garbled specimen of some actual language, such as Gaelic.

What else can you tell us about it? Where did you come across it?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Anoran » Tue 05 Feb 2013 11:03 pm

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, I said."

I'm not sure on the second to last word :P

It looks to be English, but with some Celtic-influenced phonological changes introduced (Among others). I suspect it's probably a work in progress.
Native: English
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Postby linguoboy » Wed 06 Feb 2013 5:01 am

Anoran wrote:"Thu cmhaic braudhn feocs dumps oadhfu thu laedhshai deog, aidh saeod."

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, I said."

I'm not sure on the second to last word :P

It looks to be English, but with some Celtic-influenced phonological changes introduced (Among others). I suspect it's probably a work in progress.

Ah, well spotted, sir!

I think "I" is correct for aidh, even though this isn't the pronunciation this sequence would have in any Goidelic variety. (Rather [əɪɟ] for Munster, [iː] for most others.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Anoran » Wed 06 Feb 2013 9:54 am

linguoboy wrote:I think "I" is correct for aidh, even though this isn't the pronunciation this sequence would have in any Goidelic variety. (Rather [əɪɟ] for Munster, [iː] for most others.)

Indeed. I was mixed between "it" and "I". I ended up going for the latter, obviously.
Native: English
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Postby choc_pud » Wed 06 Feb 2013 12:05 pm

Good show, Anoran, you've got it exactly! It's actually a method for the writing of English using Goidelic-based spelling rules, such as the broad and slender consonants. I invented it a few days ago and was interested in what the consensus was of its appearance. My signature is written using the same rules.

Guid seoadh, Anóran, mheý'f goit it ecsacıtlí! It's acteulí a metheod feó thu raidhıtin of Inglis mheýshain Goidhdelic-baedhsıt spelin reýlsh, sut ash thu bróid and slendeu consununts. Aidh ionfaentaiod it a ıfmheý deaedhsh agaodh and mhosh ionıtreiastid ion mhoit thu consaeonsus mhosh of its apíruns. Maidh soignoiteu ieash riteun mheýshain thu saedhm reýlsh.

choc_pud

Postby linguoboy » Wed 06 Feb 2013 2:57 pm

choc_pud wrote:Good show, Anoran, you've got it exactly! It's actually a method for the writing of English using Goidelic-based spelling rules, such as the broad and slender consonants. I invented it a few days ago and was interested in what the consensus was of its appearance. My signature is written using the same rules.

A lot of your assignments are bizarre, but none so much as sh for /z/. The Goidelic value is [h], you know.
linguoboy

Postby choc_pud » Wed 06 Feb 2013 3:24 pm

linguoboy wrote:A lot of your assignments are bizarre, but none so much as sh for /z/. The Goidelic value is [h], you know.

Aye, a lot of them're different from the Goidelic values. But why use [sh] for /h/ when we can use [h] instead? And I had no other way of showing /z/. It's not perfect; it's still a work in progress after all.

choc_pud

Postby linguoboy » Wed 06 Feb 2013 4:39 pm

choc_pud wrote:And I had no other way of showing /z/.

There are plenty of other ways of representing /z/. A convention that's found in several European languages (including, to some degree, English) is:

s /z/
ss /s/

So what guides your assignment of broad and slender? It's seems pretty counterintuitive to me to have slender f in fox and broad l in lazy, for instance.
linguoboy

Return to Translation requests