Farsi Persian فارسی

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Can you speak Persian?-آیا شما میتوانید فارسی صحبت کنید؟

Yes,Fluent- بله، روان
100%
Yes,Good- بله، خوب
No votes
Yes,a little- بله، کمی
No votes
Yes,Can only read-بله، فقط خواندن
No votes
Not at all, but willing to-نه ولی علاقه مندم
No votes
Not at all, Not interested-نه وعلاقه مند نیستم
No votes

Total votes : 1

Farsi Persian فارسی

Postby Reza » Thu 31 Jan 2013 1:24 am

فارسی شکر است
هر کس میخواهد فارسی یاد بگیرد و یا صحبت کند به این تاپیک بیاید.
transliteration :
farsi shekar ast,
har kas mikhahad farsi yad begirad va ya farsi yad begirad be in topic biyayad.
translation:
Persian is sugar
Everyone who wants to learn or speak persian come to this topic
Reza

Re: Farsi Persian فارسی

Postby Mikhail » Thu 31 Jan 2013 10:49 pm

Hello, Reza

So I will be first to vote, I guess. I don't know it at all but wish to learn Farsi. Few years ago I started to learn Uzbek and looked also at Tajik language. These languages and Farsi are probably most pleasant for my ears. But it's a pity, I have forgotten almost everything. Just few words like 'rahmat dousti' and 'ketobkhona'.
And with learning Farsi it would be harder, because I don't know the alphabet and can't read the written text. With Uzbek and Tajik its a lot easier in this sence.
And I have a friend here, his name is Reza also :D We were in one group at my german language class.
native: Russian
know good: English, German

my constructed alphabet: Scythian
Mikhail

Postby linguoboy » Thu 31 Jan 2013 11:11 pm

Mikhail wrote:So I will be first to vote, I guess.

I've tried voting, but I keep getting a message saying that "the form is invalid".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Mikhail » Thu 31 Jan 2013 11:14 pm

Yes this vote system seems not to work for me too

Mikhail

Postby Reza » Fri 01 Feb 2013 8:04 pm

Dear Mikhail and linguoboy unfortunately you are right about vote I think I shouldn't use persian words in it, it seems it's because of that but I can't edit or change it.

Dear Mikhail ,the Persian lang has many dialects and sounds but they are all understandable to every speaker and learner, about writing you are right Persian Arabic handwriting maybe seem difficult to those who didn't had experience with it, but it's very beautiful and easy one, compared to more complex hand writings. although you can learn tojik Persian with Cyrillic or Pinglish ( Latin Persian handwriting). but it's always better to learn a handwriting that suits the lang not those that used by force or other reasons.And if you learn you could read many great poems of Mulana Rumi or Hafez or Khayyam or Shahname of Ferdowsi and many other great poets and you will really enjoy it.
because of Indo-European origin of Persian it's somehow musical and soft and because of excess use of Arabic and Persian words along each other,and because in Persian there is no particular word order and you can place verb, subject, object, adverb in any place,the literature works and poems are greatly pleasant to the listeners and readers.
and please say hi to your friend Reza,on behalf of me.
Reza

Postby Mikhail » Tue 05 Feb 2013 10:32 pm

Hello Reza.
I have a question about Persian. Not long ago I started to collect digital texts in different languages. I will use them to apply my constructed alphabet and just for learning also. So I think, can you probably recommend a suitable book in Persian. What sort of text I need:
- It must be a transliteration in latin (or some extented latin) alphabet (Ciryllic is also ok).
- it must be in an editable format (txt, pdf, doc).
- It should be longe enough (that helps me to make lexical analysis and some statistics)
- It must represent a clean and simple spoken language, that is understandable by modern reader.
- perfectly, when it has a corresponding audiobook, so I can double check the pronounciation

By the way, when you talk about medieval authors like Rumi , you mean it is written in original old language, and you can understand it without difficulty?

Cheers,
Mikhail

Mikhail

Postby Reza » Fri 08 Feb 2013 3:30 am

I find it that the franklang.ru site is yours, well done,it's a good job.
I couldn't find what you actually needed but I'm looking into it more.
here is a link to Pimsleur Language Program Farsi that has many listenings:

http://dl2.irlanguage.com/Farsi/Pimsleu ... r.Farsi%20[www.irlanguage.com].rar

it's not what you wanted but I should say what you are looking for should be a site for learning Persian for foreigners and usually the Persian books which Iranians use don't have any Latin/Cyrillic
transliterations!
so there are these sites for learners:
http://www.easypersian.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/pe ... acts.shtml

but if there is any specific text that you want the translation or transliteration let me know,and I will do it for you.

about Rumi and others I should tell you that if there is any old literature or poem in persian it's modern persian not old. and every persian speaker is able to completely understand them. the old persian books were destroyed by Arabs and mongols invasions.
every persian speaker read these texts at school and the language they use is polite and formal, and you can find it in books and newspaper and formal meetings, but when we want to talk to friends and family and coworkers we use a Shekaste[broken] language which is informal.
the problem is if you as a foreigner learner, learn the informal form of persian you wouldn't understand the poems and literature but if you learn the formal you will be able to understand them both.because informal is like the street talk in american english. I assume every lang has this two different types of speech.
thanks for your interest.
Reza

Postby Mikhail » Sat 09 Feb 2013 5:12 pm

Thank you very much Reza!
This site you gave me:
http://www.franklang.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397:2010-12-30-19-17-34&catid=35:2010-12-30-18-58-47&Itemid=63

It is just perfect, exactly what I wanted. So there is a book with persian fairy-tales written in latinized alphabet in pdf and doc format. And original and translation to russian is given as well. So I can use it directly for learning and applying my conscript.

I have found this one with a lot of audio and latin transcriptions:
http://www.mage.com/poetry/hafez_main.html

Reza wrote:but if there is any specific text that you want the translation or transliteration let me know,and I will do it for you.

Well, if only I would have known, which text... I don't know persian language and literature, so I ask you.
In russian literature, I can tell, for example, that A.P. Chekhov (А.П.Чехов) wrote prose and used very plain language, without those literary metaphores and stylisation, and there is almost no loanwords. Sometimes only in dialogues he tries to represent some dialects or very polite speech.
So for my task it would be a good sample text. And I think poetry is not so good for my task, since it doesn't represent plain language. And since Chekhov is in 'classics' now, I can easily find texts and audiobooks in the net. So I try to find a Persian author who wrote prose in plain language but also if he is well known would be a plus, because it is easier then to find more material.

Mikhail

Postby norskinoodle » Wed 13 Mar 2013 2:47 pm

Hi there!

I am in desperate need of your help! My iranian heritage best friend is getting married at the end of March. As a wedding present i am having a piece of art work made for her, with a quote by Rumi (her favourite poet).

The quote is "Only from the heart can you touch the sky". An iranian heritage friend (but born in the UK) has translated it for me as:

از دل میتونی به آسمان‌ها برسید

However the artist creating the artwork has written it backwards like this:

برسید‌ها آسمان میتونی دل از

The artist is Pakistani and does not speak Farsi, but he is insisting that his version is correct!

Please can you tell me which is right asap?

I am really sorry if i have posted this in the wrong thread. I am a bit desperate for an answer as the artist needs to complete the work before Friday. Thank you so so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Very best wishes.
norskinoodle

Postby Meera » Thu 25 Apr 2013 7:25 am

I'm leanring Persian and can speak it a little. I understand Dari pretty well though.
Meera

Return to Languages other than English