Countries or parts of the world you wouldn't want to go to

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: Countries or parts of the world you wouldn't want to go to

Postby Zachary » Fri 08 May 2009 5:48 pm

linguoboy wrote:C'mon, Zachary; you're a bright boy. You know that a fistful of anecdotes still doesn't add up to proof of systematic bias. All it establishes is that there's more than one individual prejudiced against Mexicans in the USA. (Not exactly a shocker in a nation of 306 million people and counting.) It doesn't really matter too much what biases particular individuals have unless they're backed up by societal institutions.

I understand where you're coming from, but what the handful of articles is meant to demonstrate is not that there's a unilateral form of racism being propagated on every level of society, but that an underlying problem exists, socially (and for some regions, jurisdictionally, economically, and politically), and that this issue has also attracted both the media and for people to act against this racism. Being "Mexican" is, simply put, not the same as being "Canadian". As a Canadian, racism on some levels exists, but the likelihood of any related beatings or murders related to your ethnicity, language, or whatnot is extremely unlikely to happen within the United States (heck, the terms 'racism against canadians' or 'anti-canadian racism' are seldom used). Should population, immigration, and/or proximity be a factor, then I dare challenge you to find equally comparable racism, to the same extent as that of Mexicans, in America against Canadians. Also, the fact that some places have racism within state institutions is an issue apart, and it disregards racism that occurs within non-state controlled institutions, and also disregards the entire social aspect of racism. If we can separate religion & religious doctrines from the State, then we can just as easily separate people from the State. Creating a law or a Constitution doesn't mean that that law/constitution is enforced, and this is something that many countries are criticized for.

linguoboy wrote:You certainly haven't made the case that it's worse than, say, institutional discrimination against Copts in Egypt or South Asians in Qatar (which is how this tangent came into being in the first place).

I don't see you're point with this, I never anywhere stated that racism alone is worse than all other listed countries. To requote myself, "[The United States] fails on just as many levels as many of the countries you listed therein". If you honestly want to talk about institutional racism, then read Institutional Racism, by Shirley Jean Better, and then Race, gender, and punishment by Mary Bosworth and Jeanne Flavin (summary concerning Mexicans at ~p57).
Zachary

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 08 May 2009 10:24 pm

Talib wrote:Go multiculturalism.

Seconded.

And, I love Mexicans, by the way. :D
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Delodephius » Fri 08 May 2009 10:40 pm

I prefer transculturalism.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Stosis » Sat 09 May 2009 11:37 pm

Well it seems you guys have quite the conversation going. I don't have time to read all the posts so for now here's my answer to the original question:

I wouldn't say that there is no country that I'd never go to simply because I'm optimistic that things will get better in some of the troubled areas. It also depends on how I go to different countries. I would love to visit Egypt but not alone. I'd rather go there with a tour guide and company who will "keep me safe" (well, at least warn me of where not to go).

On the other hand I would never go to any theocratic countries (except Egypt) for the very reason that I don't want to encourage or bring money into their countries.
Stosis

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 10 May 2009 6:43 pm

Stosis wrote:I would never go to any theocratic countries (except Egypt) for the very reason that I don't want to encourage or bring money into their countries.

Why is Egypt an exception?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Talib » Sun 10 May 2009 8:28 pm

I wouldn't consider Egypt to be a theocratic country. I mean, the most prominent fundamentalist organization, al-Ikhwan al-Muslimun (the Muslim Brotherhood) is banned.

However Egypt has, as we went over earlier, a bad government for different reasons.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Meera » Mon 11 May 2009 5:20 pm

I would pretty much go anywhere except France, Spain, Latin America Or Korea. And many Eurpeon countries I wouldn't go too.
Meera

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 11 May 2009 5:40 pm

Meera wrote:I would pretty much go anywhere except France, Spain, Latin America Or Korea. And many Eurpeon countries I wouldn't go too.

Why wouldn't you go to those places?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Meera » Mon 11 May 2009 6:03 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
Meera wrote:I would pretty much go anywhere except France, Spain, Latin America Or Korea. And many Eurpeon countries I wouldn't go too.

No offence to anyone, but I don't like the Langauges of Europe or Far East Asia that much. Also, I don't really like the culture that much. :oops: I don't know why. I hope I am not being offence.
Meera

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 11 May 2009 6:15 pm

Meera wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:

No offence to anyone, but I don't like the Langauges of Europe or Far East Asia that much. Also, I don't really like the culture that much. :oops: I don't know why. I hope I am not being offence.

That's fine. Everyone has their own likes & dislikes. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

PreviousNext

Return to General chat