Flownetic - The Simple and Intuitive Phonetic Script

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Flownetic - The Simple and Intuitive Phonetic Script

Postby shenafu » Mon 07 Jan 2013 5:12 am

Introducing Flownetic - The Simple and Intuitive Phonetic Script

I want to start a discussion here for criticisms before I officially submit it to omniglot. Though if the mods like it as is and treat this as my submission, be my guest.

Here's the link: http://www.shenafu.com/code/liyahu/flownetic.php

"Flownetic is a phonetic script created by Xay Voong. The philosophy is simple, intuitive, distinguishable, practical. The flow and structure of the symbols imitate the flow and structure of your mouth, throat, tongue, and lips as you speak each sound. Unlike other phonetic writing systems, the letters are easily distinguishable from each other and simple to write. This makes it easy and fun to read and write these letters."

The lines, curves, and dots follow these rough generalizations. Straight lines represent unrounded vowels, the throat, and closed lips. Curves represent rounded vowels and placement and curving of the tongue. The dots are neutral or breathy sounds, or variation of common vowels. Myself I'm fluent in English and Cantonese, and some Mandarin, so I'm more familiar with the vowel sounds used in those languages, and approximate the flow of the other vowels found in IPA but not in those three languages.

What do you think? Does it feel intuitive for you? Is there enough variety? Is it attractive enough?
shenafu

Re: Flownetic - The Simple and Intuitive Phonetic Script

Postby mousefire55 » Sun 13 Jan 2013 5:46 am

Aesthetic. I like it, but... You mention a focus on differences, yet you build off roundness and frontedness.... Don't those two clash?
Native: English
Near-fluent: Español
Learning: Lingua Latina, Deutsch, Русская, Čeština
Wants to learn: Gàidhlig, Mongɣol kele
My conlangs: Síyähärä, Ekeçpağoli

My Conlangs Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/yaharabooklang/home
mousefire55

Postby shenafu » Sun 13 Jan 2013 9:54 am

Not really.

Most (all?) scripts don't pay much attention to the amount of vowel diversity and distinctiveness. So I try to emphasize the qualities of all the different vowel sounds (ones that are classified in IPA). As such, I try to divide and classify the vowels, as much as other people classify consonants.

By acknowledging qualities like roundedness and frontedness of vowels, it provides a guideline and relationship amongst the glyphs. While at the same time, the glyphs still look different enough from each other.
shenafu

Postby mousefire55 » Sun 13 Jan 2013 3:51 pm

Oley, I see what you mean now.
Native: English
Near-fluent: Español
Learning: Lingua Latina, Deutsch, Русская, Čeština
Wants to learn: Gàidhlig, Mongɣol kele
My conlangs: Síyähärä, Ekeçpağoli

My Conlangs Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/yaharabooklang/home
mousefire55