On the hunt...

The place to discuss learning languages

On the hunt...

Postby Eden » Mon 19 Mar 2012 10:14 pm

...for a language. I'm looking for a language where the writing has as many diacritics as possible. I've always thought that they added a certain appeal to writing. So if you have one just post them here. Particularly one using the Latin or possibly the Cyrillic script. Thank you.
Native: English (NE American)
Learning: Руccкий, Gaelg
Fiddling With: Gàidhlig
Interested In: čeština, isiXhosa, tiếng Việt, עברית, Беларуская Мова
Conlangs: Peb'il', Этиис Мих
Eden

Re: On the hunt...

Postby linguoboy » Tue 20 Mar 2012 1:47 pm

Have you seen Vietnamese in Quốc Ngữ script?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby choc_pud » Wed 02 Jan 2013 12:34 pm

Vietnamese. Also French.

:ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby linguoboy » Wed 02 Jan 2013 4:57 pm

choc_pud wrote:Vietnamese. Also French.

French really doesn't have that many diacritics, certainly not when compared to Vietnamese. Compare:

"Tous les êtres humains naissent libres et égaux en dignité et en droits. Ils sont doués de raison et de conscience et doivent agir les uns envers les autres dans un esprit de fraternité."

Total diacritics: 5. (Only two more than Portuguese.)

"Mọi người sinh ra đều được tự do và bình đẳng về nhân phẩm và quyền. Mọi người đều được phú bẩm về lý trí và lương tâm và vì thế phải đối xử với nhau trên tinh thần bác ái."

Total diacritics: A metric shitpile.

Eastern European languages tend to have more diacritics than Western. The Polish version of Article 1 of the UDHR, for instance, has 8, the Czech has 12, and the Hungarian has 14. In (Puristic) Greek, every word has at least one diacritic, since accentuation is always indicated explicitly, even on monosyllables. (Now that Greek is no longer written polytonicly, only polysyllables routinely carry accents. Still enough to give the Greek version of Article 1 two more diacritics than the Hungarian.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Thu 03 Jan 2013 6:38 pm

French only has as many diacritics as possible when trying to type it on a keyboard that doesn't let you have any. This is why I don't like to post in French on forums; I feel like I have to mark every stupid diacritic, but to do that I have to copy the things off a character palette of some sort, and ffwbl, that takes way more time than I care to spend on it. Can't wait till we get a thingy that lets you just type diacritics without going through the hassle of getting them somewhere other than the keyboard.
But yes, since Vietnamese certainly has more diacritics than possible (just ask Vietnamese texters), it would seem to fit the bill.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby telal » Thu 21 Mar 2013 8:16 pm

as already mentioned, vietnamese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese ... Tone_marks

the tone marks alone are dizzying
לא משנה
telal

Return to Language learning