My new writing system

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Re: My new writing system

Postby Anoran » Thu 20 Dec 2012 12:09 am

I rather like Cyrillic. It is only letters that differ in minor details like Ш and Щ that I find difficult to distinguish (depending on how bad someone's handwriting is, of course.). Armenian is definitely Tengwaritis-inducing, though. Georgian, not so much; I think it is one of the nicest looking natscripts around. As for Japanese, Korean, and Chinese scripts these are somewhat of a different issue since each logogram represents a syllable rather than a phoneme (Hangul is a bit of a mix here, mind you, since it's actually a featural alphabet).

Mikhail wrote:Does it look like yours? :)

Given that I'm writing with a calligraphy pen and you're using ballpoint? Not really, no. I wrote my characters to be as similar as I could get to the ones on the Scythian page. Unfortunately, I got the spacing messed up, so all my letters are perhaps a little too close together. The font looks quite a bit more angular than I first thought, looking at this new picture; I'm not exactly good at writing those. :roll:
Native: English
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Postby Mikhail » Sun 23 Dec 2012 7:47 pm

Anoran wrote:The font looks quite a bit more angular than I first thought, looking at this new picture; I'm not exactly good at writing those. :roll:

Well, the digital font shows letter forms better, line weight and line bending. The written example I gave is a very fast writing. However there is certain freedom in metrics, letters can be wider/narrower and small details can be easily omitted when writing by hand.
When I do it myself and concentrate on letter form too much, then overall look is really bad - different letter sizes, slope lines. So I just try to write faster, it helps.
I'll make more examples end of this week. Probably some some poem in English?
native: Russian
know good: English, German

my constructed alphabet: Scythian
Mikhail

Postby telal » Tue 01 Jan 2013 11:41 pm

it's not bad

what was your inspiration?
לא משנה
telal

Postby Mikhail » Thu 03 Jan 2013 4:46 pm

telal wrote:it's not bad
what was your inspiration?

Hi, thanks.
The very first versions of script were an attempt to create letter forms which would correspond to Scythian ancient art - simple but with the unique style. Mostly I experimented with greek letters. Later on it was no more an artistic work - when I started to understand how the readability depends on letter forms it became what you see now.

Mikhail

Postby Mikhail » Mon 14 Jan 2013 2:47 am

Hi, here is an english text written in Scythian. I use letter to letter transliteration, only letter y I changed to letter i. And now there are some swapped letter assignments: y <-> h, r <-> g.
Can someone read it? I guess most english speaking people know this text very well.
Attachments
humptyd.jpg
humptyd.jpg (31.66 KiB) Viewed 1909 times

Mikhail

Previous

Return to Constructed writing systems