Enjupah Abugida

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Enjupah Abugida

Postby Anoran » Wed 31 Oct 2012 12:29 pm

So, I spent some time developing a conscript today. It's an abugida, and it's called Enjupah, after the first three vowels and two consonants.

The idea behind this script was to create something that a fictional race of intelligent reptiles would use. As such, I designed it as if I were drawing images with claws on clay, much like Cuneiform is reeds on clay. Since not all reptiles have vocal cords, the abugida doesn't distinguish between voiced and voiceless consonants. The script has eighteen vowels and seventeen consonants.

Here's the basic prototype of the script:
The legend is as follows:
V - Vowels
D - Diphthongs
N - Nasals
S - Plosives/Stops
F - Fricatives
A- Approximants
For the consonants, the center line is the original concept; the symbols directly beneath are the finalized letters.
It should be noted that the above image is not in alphabetical order.

Vowels are placed as diacritics; above the consonant if the vowel sounds comes after, or below the consonant if the vowel sound comes before.

Theoretically, more diphthongs can be made by combining the vowel diacritics, but so far the ones displayed are the only ones to be used in the language.

The following image is a transcription of the Article One of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as best as I could do given the limited phonetics of Enjupah.
If you transcribe it back into the Latin alphabet, it looks pretty funny.

All constructive criticism is welcome!
Native: English
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Re: Enjupah Abugida

Postby Pax » Thu 01 Nov 2012 2:35 am

The table is a bit hard to understand. Looks interesting!
Fluent: None
Intermediate: None
Basic: Español, tlhIngan Hol
Pax

Re: Enjupah Abugida

Postby Anoran » Thu 01 Nov 2012 2:53 am

Yeah, it's mostly arranged like that because I draw the script as a bitmap. Yay for pixel art!
Where the IPA is directly in line vertically, it can be pronounced as either character. Where it's aligned diagonally, that's diphthongs (top letter first, usually). I couldn't be bothered to widen all the cells to fit the characters in properly, so I guess that's my fault. :roll:
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Return to Constructed writing systems