Escrifwr le lyffws (Leafoosish writing system)

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Escrifwr le lyffws (Leafoosish writing system)

Postby Tikolm » Sun 05 Aug 2012 11:09 pm

After many years of trying to create conscripts for various languages and never quite being successful, I've come up with one that I think I may actually stick with. However, it's for a language that I had already decided was written in the Latin alphabet. Said language would be Leafoosish, my screwily spelled romlang. The script I'm going to show you is also a syllabary, which isn't really the thing that's best suited to Leafoosish's (C)(C)V(V)(C)(C) syllable structure. But whatever. It's all about having fun, isn't it? :P
Here you go:

You'll notice the little circumflex looking things over some of the symbols. That's called a "long sign" and, when it's over a symbol containing a consonant, that consonant is transliterated as a double consonant, and when it's over a vowel-only symbol, that vowel is transliterated with an acute accent. You might be wondering now how you write a long vowel and a consonant in the same symbol. To do that, you either put the long sign inside or maybe under the symbol (if it doesn't already have it on top) or you put it on top (if there's another one there). In the upper right corner, you'll notice two other diacritics. The first one looks like a caron and is called the "syllabic sign". If you put that over a vowel-only symbol, it's transliterated as a circumflex. If you put it over a consonant or CV symbol, it's transliterated as the previous vowel in the word before the consonant. (That is, if the text happens to be in Leafoosish. Otherwise, it's ignored.)
The other two diacritics in the upper right corner aren't actually for writing Leafoosish; they're an extension of the script I made in case someone really, really wanted to write Welsh with it instead. (Leafoosish and Welsh have very similar orthographies.) The left angle bracket is a grave accent and the right angle bracket is a diaeresis.

I hope that made sense to everybody. I'll try to put together a better chart soon. :)
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Re: Escrifwr le lyffws (Leafoosish writing system)

Postby Tikolm » Wed 08 Aug 2012 3:36 pm

I've made a few changes to ELL (this script), although unfortunately I can't post them here in an image because I haven't made one yet. Anyway, "dd", "ll", "ch", "rh" and "k" now have their own sets of characters. This means ELL is now completely adapted to Leafoosish, Welsh, Brithenig and Tikolmian. I've also updated some character forms so they're more consistent with each other.
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Wed 08 Aug 2012 11:39 pm

Today I started work on a font for ELL so I can type it into images and dictionaries. I'll post samples here when I've got it finished. I've decided that it's the official script for Tikolmian and the unofficial script for Leafoosish.
Tikolm

Postby kaenif » Mon 13 Aug 2012 12:27 pm

Great! I see it is influenced by the Canadian syllabics. You need not have a one-to-one diacritic correspondence to latin though, but it is not a problem.

Are there any sample texts in Leafoosish or Welsh written in the script? I'd love to see them :)
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Tikolm » Mon 13 Aug 2012 11:27 pm

kaenif wrote:Great! I see it is influenced by the Canadian syllabics.

Thanks. :) It is based somewhat on the ideas behind them.
You need not have a one-to-one diacritic correspondence to latin though, but it is not a problem.

I don't need to, no, but I don't have one anyway.
The "syllabic sign" only transliterates as a circumflex over vowels. Over consonants, it's a little more complicated. For example: the Leafoosish word catar wouldn't be written as 'ca'+'ta'+'r', it would be written as 'ca'+'t'+'r'+'syllabic'. Another example of this would be the Welsh word llyfr, which would be written 'lly'+'f'+'r'+'syllabic'.
(Sorry to pick nits. I love explaining things. :P)
Are there any sample texts in Leafoosish or Welsh written in the script? I'd love to see them :)

There aren't any yet, but I'll be working on getting "Ble mae'r gath?" in both languages transliterated into the script. :)
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Wed 15 Aug 2012 6:50 pm

Today I transliterated the first paragraph of "Ble mae'r gath?" (Welsh and Leafoosish) into ELL and did up a couple of images. It was pretty tricky to do, so I really don't feel like getting the whole text transliterated any time soon. Anyway, here you go:
(Welsh)
Latin alphabet:
Ble mae'r gath?

Ble mae'r gath? Mae'r gath yn y tŷ. Ydy'r gath ar y gwely? Nag ydy, mae'r gath ar y ddôr. Mae'r gath yn cysgu ar y ddôr. Ydy'r ddôr yn gorwedd ar ei hochr? Ydy. Ydy'r gwely'n gynnes? Nag ydy.

(Leafoosish)
Latin alphabet:
W es la gath?

W es la gath? Es la gath dan la feson. Es la gath an le lith? Non, es la gath an la yfw. Es la gath dormant an la yfw. Es la yfw an sa gostedh? Wi. Es le lith ted? Non.

Somewhat literal translation of the above text:
Where is the cat?

Where is the cat? The cat is in the house. Is the cat on the bed? No, the cat is on the door. The cat is sleeping on the door. Is the door lying on its side? Yes. Is the bed warm? No.

A few notes: ELL has no punctuation marks of its own other than a middle-dot looking space character, so there's nothing like a question mark, period, whatever and I had to use Latin apostrophes for the contractions in the Welsh. I also apparently misdesigned the diacritics, because the word "tŷ" looks like it's missing its syllabic sign. As well, the script itself has undergone significant revision since I did up the drawing in the first post, so the characters aren't immediately apparent.
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Wed 15 Aug 2012 8:24 pm

Well, I just looked over the Leafoosish text and it's missing the sentence "es la gath dormant an la yfw". *sigh* I really don't feel like fixing that right now. In any case, we're going to have to come up with some way of punctuating Leafoosish sentences, because Leafoosish, unlike Welsh, doesn't have a thing other than punctuation (and obviously sentence intonation) to mark questions with. But then it would be weird if I used punctuation for Leafoosish and not Welsh, so I'd probably end up using it all the time. The trouble is, I need to find Unicode slots for any additional characters, and I've filled up everything I know how to access because the font for ELL has ~188 characters already.
(end rant)
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Sun 23 Sep 2012 3:35 am

On a side note, the title should read Escrifwr le llyffws. The masculine article le doesn't trigger the soft mutation.
Tikolm

Postby choc_pud » Tue 30 Oct 2012 8:25 pm

You sound like you have got a lot further with your conlang(s) than I ever have! They have mostly just used the Latin alphabet, and only one has had mutations. Is there any other way you could show the picture? Only my computer is not working properly and won't show it :roll: . If you can't then no worries. But if you can, then, thanks!
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby Tikolm » Sun 18 Nov 2012 5:53 pm

choc_pud wrote:You sound like you have got a lot further with your conlang(s) than I ever have! They have mostly just used the Latin alphabet, and only one has had mutations.
Thank you. :) I've not had more than one conlang with mutations either though, so don't hold me in too high a regard. It took me quite some time to figure out how mutations actually worked, and that's just in one language (care to guess which one?).
That's so cool that you've used mutations! Most of us don't think of such a thing. Which conlang of yours was it? How did they go? Did you have any particular natlang basis?
choc_pud wrote:Is there any other way you could show the picture? Only my computer is not working properly and won't show it :roll: . If you can't then no worries. But if you can, then, thanks!
I'm not sure how I'd fix the image. It's hosted on Photobucket, so I can't think why you wouldn't be able to see it. :? Any idea where I could host it so that you could access it?
Tikolm

Return to Constructed writing systems