What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Pax » Sat 27 Oct 2012 9:46 pm

I'm not as big of a language nerd (no offense) as most people on this forum. I have no idea what syntax, lexicon, or morpho-whatever is. I thought that a Romance language was any language that used Latin characters (with exceptions).
Native: English
Fluent: None
Intermediate: None
Basic: Español, tlhIngan Hol
Pax

Postby Anoran » Sun 28 Oct 2012 12:09 am

For the layman:
• Syntax is basically the same thing as grammar. Word placement, tenses, etc etc.
• Lexicon is the vocabulary of a language.
• Morphology is more or less how a language sounds. Morphemes are generally syllables that appear in the language.

There are lots of languages out there that use the Latin alphabet even though they're derived from something else. For example, around half of the Slavic languages use the Latin alphabet instead of the Cyrillic alphabet.

Often, language families are centered around a specific region. If you don't know what family a country's language is in, it's probably in the same group as the languages of the countries around it.

I'd probably expand my language learning quite a bit if I didn't have to learn a new alphabet. There was a day where I spent the whole time studying the Old Cyrillic alphabet. After that, every word in English looked weird. Like it didn't belong. So confusing.

I must apologize for dragging the thread slightly off-topic. On a more related note, I'm sort of tentatively learning Cantonese. I can order cake!
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Postby JeremyS » Sun 28 Oct 2012 4:04 am

Thanks the welcome, Anoran. As much as I would like to be learning all of those languages, I have pared it down significantly currently. Now, I am going over Shoshoni and Comanche as they are very similar. I have a big interest in Native American languages and love researching them. I hope to get back into German soon as well as Irish.
JeremyS

Postby linguoboy » Tue 30 Oct 2012 6:28 pm

Anoran wrote:For the layman:
• Syntax is basically the same thing as grammar. Word placement, tenses, etc etc.
• Morphology is more or less how a language sounds. Morphemes are generally syllables that appear in the language.

I think you may have morphology confused with phonology. Phonology is the study of speech sounds, their patterning, and their combination. Morphology is actually pretty close to the layman's definition of "grammar", which for most people seems to mean basically "inflection" (which is how they can go about saying that English "doesn't have much grammar"). Because inflections and word order work together to give sentences meaning, some linguists like to group the two together as "morphosyntax".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Anoran » Wed 31 Oct 2012 12:43 am

A while after I wrote it, I realized my mistake, but I couldn't go back and fix it. :roll:
At least my statement was intentionally vague. I thought maybe no one would notice, but I guess I was wrong! :lol:

In layman's terms:
Morphology is how a word is constructed, as opposed to syntax, which is how the sentence is constructed.

I find that understanding this stuff makes it easier to grasp the concepts behind other languages.

I'm tempted to learn a synthetic language like Finnish or Russian, but I fear that would be putting too much on my plate.
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Postby Bai » Tue 04 Dec 2012 9:22 am

List of languages in process:
1. Mandarin - upper-advanced level
2. Cantonese - reasonably fluent
3. English - hmm... still much to improve
4. French - studied at the University years ago, now trying to refresh
5. Vietnamese - basic
6. Thai - just started
There're two other languages I used to study - Italian and Czech - now undeservedly neglected and almost forgotten.
Waiting list:
1. Lao
2. Burmese
3. Khmer
Lên non mới biết non cao
Bai

Postby Pax » Mon 10 Dec 2012 10:35 pm

Anoran wrote:For the layman:

There are lots of languages out there that use the Latin alphabet even though they're derived from something else. For example, around half of the Slavic languages use the Latin alphabet instead of the Cyrillic alphabet.

Often, language families are centered around a specific region. If you don't know what family a country's language is in, it's probably in the same group as the languages of the countries around it.

I'd probably expand my language learning quite a bit if I didn't have to learn a new alphabet. There was a day where I spent the whole time studying the Old Cyrillic alphabet. After that, every word in English looked weird. Like it didn't belong. So confusing.

I must apologize for dragging the thread slightly off-topic. On a more related note, I'm sort of tentatively learning Cantonese. I can order cake!

Okay, that has really helped when i try to read Grammer books and such. Thanks!

My list changes weekly (Not on purpose) :(

Today it is:
-Klingon. Nerdy and pointless i know, but i am learning it nonetheless.
-German. I have a lot of friends who are German, so that is a huge factor.
-Latin. It is required to take foeign language in my high school (yes i am in school) so i am starting that next year.
Fluent: None
Intermediate: None
Basic: Español, tlhIngan Hol
Pax

Postby Garethw87 » Tue 18 Dec 2012 6:08 am

In Guangzhou, even the use of spoken Cantonese is on the decline. There have been complaints there about children being punished for using it during classtime.

This isn't exactly true. While Guangzhou has thousands, if not hundreds of thousand migrant workers from every other part of China turning up constantly.. Yes it makes it look like the number of Cantonese speakers is decling. The Cantonese people there still speak and use Cantonese. They'll use Mandarin if work requires them too, and in school as it's the 'national language' but in everyday life they speak Cantonese.

I'm glad I haven't seen any 'Cantonese is doomed' threads on here... yet! I'ts one of the most spoken languages in the world. I doubt it will go away anytime soon. Even if it did just come to Manchester, England. Everybody is Cantonese here!
Native - English
Fluent - Not yet
Average - Cantonese
Basic - French
On my 'to study' list - Afrikaans, Catalan, German, Latvian, Luxembourgish
Garethw87

Postby choc_pud » Sat 22 Dec 2012 3:10 pm

Garethw87 wrote:
Even if it did just come to Manchester, England. Everybody is Cantonese here!

Is tha frae Manchester? Ah's livin' near Bratford, wir everyone's Arabic o Bengali!

Languages I am planning to learn are as follows:
English :D
Welsh
Scottish Gaelic
Irish
German
Russian
Dutch.

That's it for now! But there'll probably be more in the future.

:ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby Tikolm » Sun 23 Dec 2012 5:46 am

choc_pud wrote:English :D
But it's your native language, isn't it? Still in the planning stages are you? :P
choc_pud wrote:Welsh
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/catchphrase1/
(Sorry, I love pointing people toward resources.)
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning