Talk in a language you don't know

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby vegandiste » Sun 16 Sep 2012 12:56 pm

Dw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns.

We bake our potatoes or put them in soups.

Off to Germany today... und ich weis keine Deutsch. Anyone know a good page for useful phrases auf Deutsch? I've never studied it formally but have sung it a lot, and taken German diction.

Auf wiedersehn, und danke!
vegandiste

Postby linguoboy » Sun 16 Sep 2012 2:15 pm

vegandiste wrote:Off to Germany today... und ich kann kein Deutsch.

vegandiste wrote:Anyone know a good page for useful phrases auf Deutsch? I've never studied it formally but have sung it a lot, and taken German diction.

Have you tried this one? http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/german.php
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Sun 16 Sep 2012 2:32 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Defnyddia is defnyddio with the imperative ending -a. As for tortsh, say it aloud and the meaning should be obvious.
"Torch", I assume. You're sure that's a Welsh word? But in any case, my main complaint is that the bed might, you know, mynd ar y tân. (Edit: That is, unless you didn't mean "torch" when you said "torch". I hear that it can also mean "flashlight", which is a much more sensible thing to use here.)

The Welsh word for "torch" in the sense of "burning stick" is ffaglen. The UWTSD dictionary doesn't give a translation for "torch" in the sense of "flashlight"
But "torch" doesn't have a sense of "flashlight", at least not in my dialect of English. I wouldn't know about yours.
linguoboy wrote:but the BBC Welsh dictionary does.
Actually, it gives a translation for "torch (light)". I guess they mean "flashlight" by that?

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
"I never eat mashed potatoes" = Dw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns.
That works? It looks like it should mean "I ever eat mashed potatoes", but I guess nobody would say that.

It works just like French, n'est-ce pas?
Oui, c'est vrai. You could say je mange jamais [...], I suppose, and it would mean "I never eat [...]". In the dialect of French I speak, the particle ne never gets omitted, so I'm not used to the business where you entirely leave out the first negation prong.

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Wyt ti ddim yn hoffi tatws stwns? Pam?
Dydw i ddim wedi dweud yr yna. (If that didn't make sense, I meant "I haven't said that [I don't like mashed potatoes]".)

You can't say *yr yna. The word for "that" in reference to something abstract (like a clause) is hynny.
Thanks.

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Beth sydd o'i le arnyn nhw?
<what is...> (I think) -- and then I can't parse the remainder.

o'i le "from his (ei) place", i.e. "wrong"
So I guess you meant "what's wrong with them?". Thanks for explaining it, but it's still an invalid question because I do in fact like mashed potatoes.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Sun 16 Sep 2012 8:24 pm

Tikolm wrote:But "torch" doesn't have a sense of "flashlight", at least not in my dialect of English. I wouldn't know about yours.

Why is that relevant? Wales is 6,000 km away from where my dialect of English is spoken. We also say "elevator" and "truck" instead of "lift" and "lorry", but is it any surprise that the Welsh words are lifft and lori?

Tikolm wrote:In the dialect of French I speak, the particle ne never gets omitted, so I'm not used to the business where you entirely leave out the first negation prong.

It's not, really, except in this one case. In the third person, for instance, it would be Dydy hi byth yn bwyta tatws stwns.

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:o'i le "from his (ei) place", i.e. "wrong"
So I guess you meant "what's wrong with them?". Thanks for explaining it, but it's still an invalid question because I do in fact like mashed potatoes.

Felly pam dwyt ti byth yn eu bwyta nhw?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sun 16 Sep 2012 9:05 pm

Changing the topic:

גליקלעך נייַ יאָר
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby linguoboy » Sun 16 Sep 2012 9:11 pm

Dan_ad_nauseam wrote:גליקלעך נייַ יאָר

!אֵ גוט יאָר
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Sun 16 Sep 2012 11:46 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:But "torch" doesn't have a sense of "flashlight", at least not in my dialect of English. I wouldn't know about yours.

Why is that relevant? Wales is 6,000 km away from where my dialect of English is spoken. We also say "elevator" and "truck" instead of "lift" and "lorry", but is it any surprise that the Welsh words are lifft and lori?
I don't see what Wales being 6000 km away from your dialect of English should have to do with anything. My point was that you think "torch" has a sense of "flashlight" and I don't.

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:In the dialect of French I speak, the particle ne never gets omitted, so I'm not used to the business where you entirely leave out the first negation prong.

It's not, really, except in this one case. In the third person, for instance, it would be Dydy hi byth yn bwyta tatws stwns.
True. But couldn't one also say Dydw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns?

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:o'i le "from his (ei) place", i.e. "wrong"

Felly pam dwyt ti byth yn eu bwyta nhw?
Oherwydd maen nhw yn y sŵp.

Can't join in this discussion, sorry. I'm not learning Hebrew just now. Have fun without me.
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Mon 17 Sep 2012 1:15 am

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

I don't see what Wales being 6000 km away from your dialect of English should have to do with anything. My point was that you think "torch" has a sense of "flashlight" and I don't.

Just look in a decent dictionary of English. "Torch" for "flashlight" is not something I made up, it's standard British English usage.

Tikolm wrote:But couldn't one also say Dydw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns?

Sure. One could also say Tydw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns or Sa i byth yn bwyta tato potsh. I'm doing my best here to keep it simple for you.

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Felly pam dwyt ti byth yn eu bwyta nhw?

A dwyt ti ddim yn bwyta sŵp ychwaith?

Tikolm wrote:
Can't join in this discussion, sorry. I'm not learning Hebrew just now. Have fun without me.

Not that it makes any difference to you, I'm sure, but that's not Hebrew, it's Yiddish.
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Mon 17 Sep 2012 1:53 am

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Why is that relevant? Wales is 6,000 km away from where my dialect of English is spoken. We also say "elevator" and "truck" instead of "lift" and "lorry", but is it any surprise that the Welsh words are lifft and lori?

Just look in a decent dictionary of English. "Torch" for "flashlight" is not something I made up, it's standard British English usage.
I believe you.

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:But couldn't one also say Dydw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns?

Sure. One could also say Tydw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns or Sa i byth yn bwyta tato potsh. I'm doing my best here to keep it simple for you.
Right.

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Felly pam dwyt ti byth yn eu bwyta nhw?

A dwyt ti ddim yn bwyta sŵp ychwaith?
I wasn't very clear, was I? Ydw, dw i'n bwyta sŵp. Dydy tatws y sŵp dim yn stwns.

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:

Not that it makes any difference to you, I'm sure, but that's not Hebrew, it's Yiddish.
Sorry about that. I should have seen what GT thought before making assumptions, I guess.
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Mon 17 Sep 2012 3:25 am

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I wasn't very clear, was I? Ydw, dw i'n bwyta sŵp. Dydy tatws y sŵp dim ynwedi stwnsio.

(Tatws y sŵp is understandable but a bit odd. I would probably say either tatws sŵp or y tatws sydd mewn sŵp.)

Beth am vichyssoise?
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English