Talk in a language you don't know

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Fri 14 Sep 2012 11:39 pm

linguoboy wrote:Dw i'n gweld is more idiomatic.
Diolch.

linguoboy wrote:Lle mae'r ci nawr?
Dan y bwrdd, nag ydy?
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby vegandiste » Sat 15 Sep 2012 12:25 am

I don't understand why milk would be in the potatoes. Unless they're mashed potatoes. Anyone know how to say mashed potatoes in Welsh?

Hwyl fawr
vegandiste

Postby Tikolm » Sat 15 Sep 2012 12:44 am

vegandiste wrote:I don't understand why milk would be in the potatoes. Unless they're mashed potatoes.
Me neither.
vegandiste wrote:Anyone know how to say mashed potatoes in Welsh?
I don't know offhand and didn't feel like digging through Welsh with Ease, so I tried looking around here and didn't find much of anything conclusive:
mash 1. llith n.m. (llithiau)
mash 1. llith n.m. (llithiau)
mash-hammer 2. morthwyl cnap n.
smashed to atoms 3. chwilfriw adj.
smashed to smithereens 4. chwilfriw adj.
to smash 5. chwilfriwio v. chwilfriwi- malu v. mal-
None of that really tells us what "mashed potatoes" would be. I'm not going to use Google Translate because we all know how awful it is, so that option's out.
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Sat 15 Sep 2012 2:00 am

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Lle mae'r ci nawr?
Dan y bwrdd, nag ydy?

Dw i ddim yn ei weld 'na. Ydy e dan y gwely, efallai?

vegandiste wrote:Anyone know how to say mashed potatoes in Welsh?

It varies a lot by region. Possibilities include tatws stwns or tatws mwtrin in the North, tatws stwmp in central Wales and tato potsh in South.

Llith is the kind of mash fed to livestock.

What do you put in your tatws stwns? Besides llaeth, I add ymenyn and sometimes hufen sur, but I go very easy on the halen. Some people add cabetsh, but I prefer corwinwyn.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Sat 15 Sep 2012 3:11 am

linguoboy wrote:Dw i ddim yn ei weld 'na. Ydy e dan y gwely, efallai?
Dydw i ddim yn ei weld dan y gwely. :?

linguoboy wrote:It varies a lot by region. Possibilities include tatws stwns or tatws mwtrin in the North, tatws stwmp in central Wales and tato potsh in South.

Llith is the kind of mash fed to livestock.
Dw i'n gweld.

linguoboy wrote:What do you put in your tatws stwns?
Oes dim "fy nhatws stwns". (Is that wrong?) If I had hypothetical mashed potatoes, I would probably put halen on them. That's what I do with the regular kind.

linguoboy wrote:[snip] Some people add cabetsh, but I prefer corwinwyn.
UWTSD couldn't find matches for either of the words you referenced. They're obviously not mutated or part of a phrase, so we can rule that out. The first word looks to be "cabbage", but I can't be certain. Please clarify this.
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Sat 15 Sep 2012 5:06 am

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Dw i ddim yn ei weld 'na. Ydy e dan y gwely, efallai?
Dydw i ddim yn ei weld dan y gwely.

Mae hi'n dywyll iawn dan y gwely. Defnyddia'r tortsh 'ma.

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:What do you put in your tatws stwns?
Oes dim "fy nhatws stwns". (Is that wrong?)

Beth wyt ti'n ceisio dweud?

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:[snip] Some people add cabetsh, but I prefer corwinwyn.
UWTSD couldn't find matches for either of the words you referenced. They're obviously not mutated or part of a phrase, so we can rule that out. The first word looks to be "cabbage", but I can't be certain. Please clarify this.

Looks like the UWTSD dictionary prefers the form cabetsen. They don't list corwinwyn, which means "chives".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Sat 15 Sep 2012 3:45 pm

linguoboy wrote:Mae hi'n dywyll iawn dan y gwely. Defnyddia'r tortsh 'ma.
Sorry, but I'm afraid neither I nor UWTSD understood that. I think I'll have to switch into English. I can't guess what dywyll iawn or defnyddia'r tortsh might be, and I'm now confused as to who we're talking about. You've been referencing the dog as "he", but in the above post you're referring to an unknown "she" and that has me stumped.

linguoboy wrote:Beth wyt ti'n ceisio dweud?
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I said works in either language. I meant something to the effect of "there are no 'my mashed potatoes'" or "I never have/eat mashed potatoes".

linguoboy wrote:Looks like the UWTSD dictionary prefers the form cabetsen. They don't list corwinwyn, which means "chives".
Thanks for explaining.
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Sat 15 Sep 2012 4:13 pm

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Mae hi'n dywyll iawn dan y gwely. Defnyddia'r tortsh 'ma.
Sorry, but I'm afraid neither I nor UWTSD understood that. I think I'll have to switch into English. I can't guess what dywyll iawn or defnyddia'r tortsh might be, and I'm now confused as to who we're talking about. You've been referencing the dog as "he", but in the above post you're referring to an unknown "she" and that has me stumped.

Welsh has no "it", so when there's need for a dummy subject, it uses hi.

You don't need to guess what tywyll iawn means, you can simply look it up.

Defnyddia is defnyddio with the imperative ending -a. As for tortsh, say it aloud and the meaning should be obvious.

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Beth wyt ti'n ceisio dweud?
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I said works in either language. I meant something to the effect of "there are no 'my mashed potatoes'" or "I never have/eat mashed potatoes".

Yeah, that's a pretty awkward phrasing.

"I never eat mashed potatoes" = Dw i byth yn bwyta tatws stwns.

Wyt ti ddim yn hoffi tatws stwns? Pam? Beth sydd o'i le arnyn nhw?
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Sat 15 Sep 2012 6:47 pm

linguoboy wrote:Welsh has no "it", so when there's need for a dummy subject, it uses hi.
Oh, yeah. I would probably have figured this out if I'd managed to figure out the rest of the sentence, but thanks for pointing it up.

linguoboy wrote:You don't need to guess what tywyll iawn means, you can simply look it up.
I did, but I made the mistake of looking up the mutated form. We all know where that gets you. :roll:

linguoboy wrote:Defnyddia is defnyddio with the imperative ending -a. As for tortsh, say it aloud and the meaning should be obvious.
"Torch", I assume. You're sure that's a Welsh word? But in any case, my main complaint is that the bed might, you know, mynd ar y tân. (Edit: That is, unless you didn't mean "torch" when you said "torch". I hear that it can also mean "flashlight", which is a much more sensible thing to use here.)

linguoboy wrote:Yeah, that's a pretty awkward phrasing.

That works? It looks like it should mean "I ever eat mashed potatoes", but I guess nobody would say that.

linguoboy wrote:Wyt ti ddim yn hoffi tatws stwns? Pam?
Dydw i ddim wedi dweud yr yna. (If that didn't make sense, I meant "I haven't said that [I don't like mashed potatoes]".)

linguoboy wrote:Beth sydd o'i le arnyn nhw?
<what is...> (I think) -- and then I can't parse the remainder. This didn't really elucidate anything:
bu'n fain arnynt 1. they had a thin time of it cmb.
bydd y llywodraeth yn dwyn pwysau arnyn nhw 2. the government will bring pressure on them cmb.
colli arnynt eu hunain 3. to lose control cmb.
mae deugain punt arnyn nhw i'r siopwr 4. they owe the shopkeeper forty pounds cmb.
mae hi ar ben arnynt 5. they are all done for cmb. their situation is hopeless cmb.
mae hi wedi canu arnynt 6. they are all done for cmb.
mae'n benblwydd arnynt 7. it's their birthday cmb.
nid fy mwriad oedd ymosod arnynt 8. I didn't set out to attack them cmb.
Sorry, I guess I just don't get it.
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Sat 15 Sep 2012 9:28 pm

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Defnyddia is defnyddio with the imperative ending -a. As for tortsh, say it aloud and the meaning should be obvious.
"Torch", I assume. You're sure that's a Welsh word? But in any case, my main complaint is that the bed might, you know, mynd ar y tân. (Edit: That is, unless you didn't mean "torch" when you said "torch". I hear that it can also mean "flashlight", which is a much more sensible thing to use here.)

The Welsh word for "torch" in the sense of "burning stick" is ffaglen. The UWTSD dictionary doesn't give a translation for "torch" in the sense of "flashlight", but the BBC Welsh dictionary does.

Tikolm wrote:
That works? It looks like it should mean "I ever eat mashed potatoes", but I guess nobody would say that.

It works just like French, n'est pas?

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Wyt ti ddim yn hoffi tatws stwns? Pam?
Dydw i ddim wedi dweud yr yna. (If that didn't make sense, I meant "I haven't said that [I don't like mashed potatoes]".)

You can't say *yr yna. The word for "that" in reference to something abstract (like a clause) is hynny.

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Beth sydd o'i le arnyn nhw?
<what is...> (I think) -- and then I can't parse the remainder.

o'i le "from his (ei) place", i.e. "wrong"
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English