Labas! привет! Hello!!!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Labas! привет! Hello!!!

Postby boringbear » Tue 28 Aug 2012 2:04 pm

Hi, my name is Averil and I'm currently learning two languages: Lithuanian and Russian! I visit Lithuania because my love is Lithuanian, and he teaches me and basically forces me to go into shops and buy things! :lol: Russian has always been a love of mine, I have taken Russian lessons and worked on the Michel Thomas courses for a long time, but I am quite nervous and self-conscious with this language, unlike Lithuanian.
I have a very very basic understanding of Dutch, I used to know more, but I don't really need it, it's quite easy and Dutch people speak English very well anyway!

Languages I would love to learn/ find out more about:
Icelandic
Hungarian
Swedish
Estonian
Greek - ancient Greek - I studied Classics at college, to me it was always interesting how Modern Greek and Ancient Greek are linked, and the differences between the different ancient greek dialects.

All baltic languages, especially extinct baltic languages like Old Prussian! I have read about them and I find it interesting how Lithuanian seems to be the most archaic language we have in Europe. They say it is closest to the original Indo-European language! (Whether there was one or not is another question.) Anyway I would be happy to discuss the Baltic languages and their origins with anyone who knows anything about them!

To me learning a language is like a beautiful puzzle, or a code. It's interesting when you find some sort of glitch in a language, something that doesn't seem logical. It seems like every language has a special logic to it. That is why I like to learn a language in it's literal form, if that makes any sense...

Anyway I'm glad I can talk to others about languages other than my love! (Not that I have a problem with that!) :D
Learning: Lietuvių kalba and Русский язык
Interested in: Baltic languages, Slavic Languages and Germanic languages
boringbear

Re: Labas! привет! Hello!!!

Postby Yaziq » Tue 28 Aug 2012 4:34 pm

Laba diena! Welcome to the Forum. I am currently studying Ukrainian and have studied Russian and Japanese. I'm also interested in Belarusian and Cantonese.
Yaziq

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Wed 29 Aug 2012 12:48 am

Your interest in Icelandic reminds me that last year I found a c.1890 introductory Icelandic textbook on Project Gutenberg.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby boringbear » Wed 29 Aug 2012 5:35 pm

Laba diena Yaziq! Are you learning Lithuanian too?

Dan_ad_nauseam I don't really know much about Icelandic yet to be honest, would you mind telling me what Project Gutenberg is?
boringbear

Postby Rexcoder » Wed 29 Aug 2012 6:47 pm

Native: Nederlands
Fluent: Français, English, Español
Beginning-Intermediate: Português, Deutsch
Conlang: Olea
Rexcoder

Postby boringbear » Wed 29 Aug 2012 8:08 pm

Thankyou! :)
boringbear

Postby Yaziq » Wed 29 Aug 2012 8:11 pm

Yes, I am learning enough words for tourism to begin with. I hope to visit Klaipeda someday.
Yaziq

Return to Introductions