Hey! / Hallo! / Ciao! / Saluton! / こんにちは!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Hey! / Hallo! / Ciao! / Saluton! / こんにちは!

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 20 Apr 2009 7:31 pm

Hi! My name is Tyler, ILuvEire on Omniglot and Unilang. I love languages!! I speak English and American Sign Language fluently. Right now I'm studying Catalan and Russian. I was on the old forum, and now I'm here!
_____

Hallo! Ich heiße Tyler, ILuvEire in Omniglot und Unilang. Ich liebe Sprachen!! Ich spreche Englisch und amerikane Zeichensprache. Jezt studiere ich Catalan und Rusisch. Ich war im altem Forum, und jezt bin ich hier!
_____

Ciao! Me chiamo Tyler, ILuvEire su Omniglot e Unilang. Amo le lingue!! Parlo inglese e linguaggio dei segni americani. Adesso, studio il catala e il russo. Ero su il forum vecchio, e ora sono qua!
_____

Sal'! Mi nomiĝas Tyler:m, ILuvEire:n sur Omniglot kaj Unilang. Mi amas lingvojn!! Mi parolas la angla, kaj usona gestlingvo. Nun mi studas la kataluna kaj la rusa. Mi estis sur la malnova forumo, kaj nun mi estas ĉi!
_____

こんにちは!僕はタイラーです、オニグロトとユニランにILuvEireです。言語大好きですよ!!英語とアメリカの手話話します。今はカタルーニャ語ロシア語学びます。古いのフォルンにです、と今ここにです!
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Re: Hey! / Hallo! / Ciao! / Saluton! / こんにちは!

Postby sokuban » Mon 20 Apr 2009 9:39 pm

I remember you! XD

I also have the nerve to correct your Japanese even though I'm not a native speaker. Take what you will of it/argue I'm wrong or whatever, I just don't have anything better to do.

こんにちは!僕はタイラーです、オニグロトとユニランでILuvEireです。言語大好きですよ!!英語とアメリカ手話話せます。今はカタルーニャ語とロシア語を学んでいます。前のフォルンにいたんで、ここに来ました。

EDIT: There are a few things that I found unnatural but I didn't correct since that could be interpreted as your style.
sokuban

Postby Epp » Mon 20 Apr 2009 10:25 pm

I'll try correcting German and Esperanto then ;)
ILuvEire wrote:
Hallo! Ich heiße Tyler, ILuvEire in Omniglot und Unilang. Ich liebe Sprachen!! Ich spreche Englisch und amerikanische Zeichensprache. Jezt studiere ich Catalan und Rusisch. Ich war im alten Forum, und jezt bin ich hier!
_____

Sal'! Mi nomiĝas Tyler:m, ILuvEire:n je Omniglot kaj Unilang. Mi amas lingvojn!! Mi parolas la anglan, kaj usonan gestlingvon. Nun mi studas la katalunan kaj la rusan. Mi estis je la malnova forumo, kaj nun mi estas ĉi tie!

If the ":m" and ":n" are supposed to mean accusative - leave it away. It's not used with "iĝ-ifized" verbs.
I'm not very good at prepositions (even in my native language, lol), but I think it is better to use "je", since you aren't physically on the forum.
But, but; it's not only-only, you know!
Epp

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 20 Apr 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks for the corrections, both of yuzz. Looking back at it, it looks like I made quite a few mistakes in the Italian and German too.

Oh well. I'll just leave it. :P
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby sokuban » Tue 21 Apr 2009 1:21 am

Kay, since Epp outlined everything, I think I should do that too.

1) In Japanese I'd use 初めまして instead of こんにちは, it seems more natural.
2) I think that you katakana-izations for Omniglot and Unilang are off, but I don't know how to pronounce either one really, so I stayed silent on this. I would use オムニグロット and ユニラング. (Yes, not putting a グ would actually be more phonologically correct, but with many loan words this is common. Sometimes there is a small tsu before a final consonant but sometimes there isn't, I dunno why.) Actually now that I think about it, you should have just used Roman characters in the Japanese.
3) Do not use fullwidth characters like that. From a Japanese point (I think) of view Fullwidth and Halfwidth are different characters. So a halfwidth name isn't the same as a fullwidth name.
4) I think 言語は大好き is more correct, but omitting the は is very common in Western dialects. (BTW, I speak a Western dialect.) I have no clue how common this is in standard Japanese, I doubt it is that common, but it could be.
5) "American Sign Language" is アメリカ手話, despite the fact that アメリカの手話 makes more literal and logical sense.
6) Here again, I think that in standard Japanese there should be a は after アメリカ手話.
7) You can use somethingsomething-emasu instead of somethingsomething-imasu to show it is something you can do. So with 話せます it means "I can etc etc~"
8) With two objects you can use と for a similar meaning to English "and". I know it is different, and I have heard theories on this, but I don't really understand them. For most intents and purposes と is "and".
9) To say you are doing something (like an -ing form in English) you can use somethingsomething-teimasu. (Or somethingsomething-temasu, a popular but somewhat informal contraction.)
10) 古い cannot be used as "the old". You could use 前の or 昔の, the latter for when it is really old.
10.5) I just noticed you said 古いの~somethingsomething. You can't do this to most adjectives. I'm not too sure what you were trying to say here, so I can give neither an explanation nor a correction. Sorry. I'm just pretty sure it is wrong.
11) I haven't heard フォルン. People seem to use フォーラム instead. Alternatively, you could use 掲示板, which is imo the most common.
12) Using です like that is completely wrong. Lots of people will tell you that です means "to be" when they try to explain that は is not "to be". I guess です can mean "to be", but not here. Use いる. Also, です is present tense, while the first one should have been past tense.
13) と cannot be used like that. と is only used when connecting words or phrases or indicating causation and not used to join sentence fragments.
14) In English you could use "now I'm here" like that, but you can't use いる like that in Japanese. Hmm, I don't know how to explain it. Actually it probably is correct, but it just sounds weird. (That's why I used 来ました.) If you were to say 今でもここにいる it would sound more natural. (Ask someone else for an explanation for this.)

Phew. I went crazy. I'm highly doubtful everything I said was correct. I am going mainly by gut feeling and I have done very little formal Japanese study.
sokuban

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 21 Apr 2009 2:38 am

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have tried that in Japanese. Well...thank you very much for the corrections!
ILuvEire

Postby linguoboy » Tue 21 Apr 2009 4:55 am

Epp wrote:I'll try correcting German and Esperanto then ;)
ILuvEire wrote:Jetzt studiere ich Catalan und Rusisch.

Auf deutsch heissen diese Sprachen aber "Katalanisch" und "Russisch". Ich kann die Erstere, aber von der Letztere nur Bruchstücke.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 21 Apr 2009 6:00 am

linguoboy wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:Jetzt studiere ich Catalan und Rusisch.

Auf deutsch heissen diese Sprachen aber "Katalanisch" und "Russisch". Ich kann die Erstere, aber von der Letztere nur Bruchstücke.

I can produce fragments in both. Hehe. :)

Welcome to the forum Linguoboy.
ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 21 Apr 2009 6:05 am

ILuvEire wrote:
Hallo! Ich heiße Tyler, ILuvEire in Omniglot und Unilang. Ich liebe Sprachen!! Ich spreche Englisch und amerikanische Zeichensprache. Jezt studiere ich Catalan und Rusisch. Ich war im alten Forum, und jezt bin ich hier!

"Dem altem Forum" isn't right? I thought you marked an adjective like it was an article, but "alten" would be in the accusative case...(Sorry, I've been doing a lot of German self study, and getting ahead of my class. :P )

Sal'! Mi nomiĝas Tyler:m, ILuvEire:n je Omniglot kaj Unilang. Mi amas lingvojn!! Mi parolas la anglan, kaj usonan gestlingvon. Nun mi studas la katalunan kaj la rusan. Mi estis je la malnova forumo, kaj nun mi estas ĉi tie!

If the ":m" and ":n" are supposed to mean accusative - leave it away. It's not used with "iĝ-ifized" verbs.
I'm not very good at prepositions (even in my native language, lol), but I think it is better to use "je", since you aren't physically on the forum.[/quote]
Yes, I guess "je" is better, I never really understood how it was to be used anyway. :lol: After prepositions, you're not supposed to use the accusative right, so why "usonan gestlingvon," after "kaj?" Also, I thought you could drop the "tie" in "ĉi tie" in informal situations. I was trying to be hip and slangy. Sed mi estas nur komencanto.
ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 21 Apr 2009 6:09 am

ILuvEire wrote:Ciao! Me chiamo Tyler, ILuvEire al Omniglot e il Unilang. Amo le lingue!! Parlo inglese e linguaggio dei segni americani. Adesso, studio il catala e il russo. Ero al forum vecchio, e ora sono qua!

I did some basic corrections to the Italian. I think "a" should be here, instead of "su." Plus I forgot a few articles.
ILuvEire

Next

Return to Introductions