Hāl!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Hāl!

Postby Kietl » Tue 21 Apr 2009 4:47 pm

Hi, guys. I used to be "Tolkienaic" before the crash, but I've decided to change the name now. So here's a new intro topic for the new forum:

My real name is Wil and I live in the southwest United States. I'm currently a sophomore in college working on a BA in Linguistics. My main area of interest is Historical Linguistics concentrating primarily on Indo-European languages (specifically Germanic) and the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European language.
I am currently studying Old English on my own time and later hope to learn it at college-level, and I have a general idea of several other Germanic languages. I have studied Spanish for about six years now, but I am not (nor, I think, ever will be) conversationally fluent in it.

I am an avid conlanger and have constructed several languages on my own (although none of them are very realistic), in addition to my main five-year language and mythology which, I am convinced, will never be complete. On the old forum I was also involved in the Omni project, which I hope to continue.

And that's me.
The Kain - a conscript by W. Kruger
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Re: Hāl!

Postby philly_boy » Tue 21 Apr 2009 4:59 pm

Nice to meet you!

I take an interest in the Proto-Indoeuropean language, is there any good website where I can get some information about it?
Mother Tongues: Ελληνικά (Modern), English
Good: Français
Basic: Español, Ἑλληνικά (Ancient)
Studying: Türkçe
Wants to learn: Deutsch, Dansk, Svenska, Lingua Latina, Íslenska
Conlang: Vǿrliſë Loreéllë Atário (New Atario Language)
philly_boy

Postby Kietl » Tue 21 Apr 2009 5:14 pm

The University of Texas Linguistics Research Center never ceases to disappoint. They have a lot of information on PIE and numerous other Germanic languages.
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 21 Apr 2009 9:33 pm

Welcome welcome welcome!
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Wed 22 Apr 2009 6:27 am

Kietl wrote:The University of Texas Linguistics Research Center never ceases to disappoint. They have a lot of information on PIE and numerous other Germanic languages.

Er - I assume you didn't mean to imply that PIE was Germanic?
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Kietl » Wed 22 Apr 2009 2:59 pm

Nope. At least not intentionally. :)
I mentioned Germanic because it's my main interest on the site.
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Postby Jayan » Wed 22 Apr 2009 7:37 pm

Tak for linken! :)
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby linguoboy » Wed 22 Apr 2009 7:51 pm

Kietl wrote:The University of Texas Linguistics Research Center never ceases to disappoint.

Er...is that a case of overnegation?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Kietl » Thu 23 Apr 2009 12:31 am

linguoboy wrote:
Kietl wrote:The University of Texas Linguistics Research Center never ceases to disappoint.

Er...is that a case of overnegation?

Haha! It is that. And we can't edit posts anyways so it'll have to stand.
For the record I meant that in a positive sense. :) Like, "it doesn't disappoint". You know?
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 24 Apr 2009 10:48 pm

Kietl wrote:Hi, guys. I used to be "Tolkienaic" before the crash, but I've decided to change the name now. So here's a new intro topic for the new forum:

My real name is Wil and I live in the southwest United States. I'm currently a sophomore in college working on a BA in Linguistics. My main area of interest is Historical Linguistics concentrating primarily on Indo-European languages (specifically Germanic) and the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European language.
I am currently studying Old English on my own time and later hope to learn it at college-level, and I have a general idea of several other Germanic languages. I have studied Spanish for about six years now, but I am not (nor, I think, ever will be) conversationally fluent in it.

I am an avid conlanger and have constructed several languages on my own (although none of them are very realistic), in addition to my main five-year language and mythology which, I am convinced, will never be complete. On the old forum I was also involved in the Omni project, which I hope to continue.

And that's me.

Welcome to the new forum!
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Return to Introductions