Hola a todo.

The place to introduce yourselves.

Re: Hola a todo.

Postby Sean of the Dead » Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:09 am

Your idea of fun is learning Basque? That's closer to my idea of masochism.

:lol: Yes, I love the sound and look of Basque, and especially it's grammar. It's grammar is awesome. 8-) Don't you love split-ergative languages too?
And why do you think that? :?

I don't know how much you'd use it even there, compared to Norwegian.

To me, usefulness with languages is mostly a must, but since by the time I move to Norway, I'll be fluent in Norwegian and Irish, and will thus not have any other languages to study that would be of use to me, so Sami is a good choice. And as I said, I love Sami. :)
Even though I would already speak Norwegian, which everyone there knows (and English, which most young people know), I'd still love to learn Sami, since a whole new culture right around the corner would be opened for me.

Reviving moribund languages is an admirable goal and all, but to talk to less than one hundred people, when you're going to move anyway? Is that worth the tradeoff?

I've thought about that, that it would be pretty much useless, but who knows if it won't be? I plan to be a linguist of some kind in the future, so maybe I could write books in or about Lushootseed. Don't need to be here to do that. ;)

Fair enough, but I'm more concerned with the usefulness of languages rather than the individualist cred they give me (although Arabic arguably does both). I think Japanese is a good choice. I would learn it if I were bothered enough.

The only languages on my list that have varying levels of uselessness are Scots, Basque, and Lushootseed (you could count Irish as quite useless, but I'm already learning it :P ). The only languages I am sure I will learn are Norwegian, Irish, German, and Northern Sami, which to me would all be useful in some way. Seeing that i want to be learning languages for most of my life, if none of the languages I want to learn are useful, what's the harm in learning them?
Sean of the Dead

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:48 am

Neqitan wrote:In Korea (the "South" part is implied) Mandarin and Japanese are extremely common.

I wouldn't say extremely common. Most Koreans are much more concerned with learning English.

formiko wrote:But of course I'll recommend a Native American language. My recommendation is to learn the language that was spoken within 50 miles of where you live (unless you're not from the Americas).
Tell me where you live, and I'll give you some suggestions.

I live in Southeastern Wisconsin. I'm guessing you'd recommend Potawatomi, Ojibwe &/or Winnebago?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Kotoba_Azul » Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:54 am

@ Formiko: I actually have no interest in Native American languages at all. I don't know why, but they have always seemed strange and boring to me. Kind of like a, oh, how shall a say this, um, well...

You get what I am trying to say.

@ Sean: Basque= Wonderful idea! I don't even know why I never thought of that! So unique, different, enticing... I even heard that it descends from the Neanderthals! O.O

And to Neqitan, I've never watched a single anime or read a single manga in my life. And the people I know that do that stuff ALL THE TIME have nooo interest in the language whatsoever. So, yeah, manga and such don't have as much as a tight bond to the Japanese language everywhere as you might think. I've met hundreds of people who prove that.
Languages, from most fluent to more recent: English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Mandarin.
Kotoba_Azul

Postby Delodephius » Sat 25 Jul 2009 1:11 am

First of all welcome.

Second of all, I'm not amazed but I am envious to the fact you are thirteen. When I was thirteen, if I remember correctly, I didn't most likely know what was a difference between a noun and a verb. I didn't know almost nothing about basic linguistic knowledge. But that's because I was a lousy student and my school was crappy. I was into history back then and that is my primary interest even today. Anyway, I'm 21 now almost everything I know about languages and linguistics I learned in the last three years. I developed a philosophy that time does not matter. That reminds me, I should read some literature on permanent education or whatever it is called.

I see you are interesting in language I'm... well, not interested at all. As for conlanging, I'm a bigger fan of auxlanging, although I do appreciate the phenomenon of artlanging, something almost no one in my country, except linguistics students, ever heard of or could imagine. I think it would border on heresy to create an artlang. It would be a long story to explain why. Let's just say with all the rampant Balkanic nationalism going on around here, it is hard for people to imagine someone would actually want to create a language just for fun. Linguistics knowledge should be devoted strictly to examining and developing living national languages. Most people would see it as a waste of time. But I'm sure that's like in many countries.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Jul 2009 1:37 am

Kotoba_Azul wrote:Basque= Wonderful idea! I don't even know why I never thought of that! So unique, different, enticing... I even heard that it descends from the Neanderthals! O.O

:lol:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Sat 25 Jul 2009 2:21 am

@Talib: As for Universities in British Columbia, UBC doesn't offer it beyond the Lower-Intermediate level, and the courses are credit-less; SFU offers only an introduction.
Fair enough, but I'm more concerned with the usefulness of languages rather than the individualist cred they give me (although Arabic arguably does both).

And it's exactly this usefulness of MSA (or lack thereof) what sometimes puts me off... But I still continue! :D

@Sobekhotep: Good point.

@Kotoba_Azul: The stereotype hurts too much probably then.
Last edited by Neqitan on Sat 25 Jul 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neqitan

Postby dtp883 » Sat 25 Jul 2009 2:26 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
Kotoba_Azul wrote:Basque= Wonderful idea! I don't even know why I never thought of that! So unique, different, enticing... I even heard that it descends from the Neanderthals! O.O

:lol:

For my World History class I have summer homework and reading the textbook The World: a History by Felipe Fernández-Armesto. This book states homo sapiens and neanderthals had different vocal tracts and it is unlikely that they could learn each other's languages. Oh, and the neanderthals died out.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby linguoboy » Sat 25 Jul 2009 2:37 am

Sobekhotep, ¿no lo sabes? Cuando el Buendio creó al hombre, sacó los huesos de un cementerio vasco.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Kotoba_Azul » Sat 25 Jul 2009 4:06 am

linguoboy wrote:Sobekhotep, ¿no lo sabes? Cuando el Buendio creó al hombre, sacó los huesos de un cementerio vasco.

Oh, WHATEVER, guys... Seriously though, I was being sarcastic about the Neanders. Leave me alone. Let me restate that little bit in a clearer form.

I do not like Basque at all and believe that there is nothing interesting or special about it whatsoever.

There. Next time I'll make my sarcasm a little clearer. I also apologize for the attitude that I'm radiating right now. But one would be better off NOT making a :lol: face at me. :evil:
Languages, from most fluent to more recent: English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Mandarin.
Kotoba_Azul

Postby linguoboy » Sat 25 Jul 2009 4:25 am

Kotoba_Azul wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Sobekhotep, ¿no lo sabes? Cuando el Buendio creó al hombre, sacó los huesos de un cementerio vasco.

Oh, WHATEVER, guys... Seriously though, I was being sarcastic about the Neanders. Leave me alone. Let me restate that little bit in a clearer form.

Touchy much? It's not all about you. I was only quoting one of my favourite Spanish sayings about the Basques.

Here, have a dodgy ethnic joke: ¿Que diferencia hay entre un vasco, que con la edad se queda calvo, y un catalán que le sucede lo mismo? Que el vasco se compra una boina y el catalán vende el peine.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions