Howdy...Hola.... Zdravím vás

The place to introduce yourselves.

Howdy...Hola.... Zdravím vás

Postby kaiser » Mon 18 Feb 2013 7:20 pm

Hey there.... my name's Jon from Baltimore, Maryland in the USA. English is my first language, Spanish is my second, and Slovak is my third, having lived there for nearly two years. In college I studied Russian and Japanese (both of which are pretty rusty). As a result of living in Eastern Europe, I can also understand two local dialect / languages pretty well (they're not really mutually intelligible to Standard Slovák): Rusýn, and Šariš.

I've been fascinated by writing systems ever since I was a little kid, and can identify a great number by sight. My head nearly popped off when I found this site a few years ago, and I never get tired of perusing things here.

Hope to hear back from folks who share my interests!
Peace.

~~Koľko reči vieš, toľkokrát si človek~However many languages you know; that much more are you a person~~
kaiser

Re: Howdy...Hola.... Zdravím vás

Postby Yaziq » Mon 04 Mar 2013 6:27 pm

Zdravo! I thought I knew of all the Slavic languages, but Sharish is a new one for me. I thought Rusyn was accepted as a bonified language & not a dialect of Slovak. Do you know anything about Balachka, which I believe is the obscure language of some Cossacks?
Yaziq

Re: Howdy...Hola.... Zdravím vás

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Tue 05 Mar 2013 12:14 am

There appears to be a dispute whether Rusyn is a fully-fledged language or a Ukrainian dialect.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Return to Introductions