A very unique shorthand

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

A very unique shorthand

Postby Eden » Thu 05 Apr 2012 7:17 pm

I've just began work on a shorthand system that will be very unique when complete. It will be based on spelling, while at the same time being phonetic by writing with the substituted letters and using diacritics to indicate the exact sound. Each letter will have a very distinct shape so that when writing very quickly, you won't get the letters mixed up. The diacritics will be reused so that it will cover only the sounds that the letter can make. So for example, the symbol for the letter "T" by itself would make the /t/ sound, but with a circumflex-like diacritic it would make the /ʃ/ sound. However, using the same diacritic with a different symbol would yield different sounds, so another example would be the symbol for "S", which by itself would be /s/, but with the same diacritic it would make the /ʒ/ sound. I'm still not sure whether to make the letters joined or not, or if there should separate symbols for common combinations such as -er or -tion. Tell me what you think.
Native: English (NE American)
Learning: Руccкий, Gaelg
Fiddling With: Gàidhlig
Interested In: čeština, isiXhosa, tiếng Việt, עברית, Беларуская Мова
Conlangs: Peb'il', Этиис Мих
Eden

Re: A very unique shorthand

Postby linguoboy » Thu 05 Apr 2012 8:32 pm

If you have to go back and add in diacritics, then it defeats the purpose of it being a shorthand system.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Re: A very unique shorthand

Postby Eden » Thu 05 Apr 2012 9:50 pm

I was thinking that you would add them along the way, but perhaps shorthand isn't the right word for it. Perhaps it would be more put to use as a decorative script. The idea behind it is what I'm really proud of though. The use of diacritics to show all the sounds of the particular letter.
Native: English (NE American)
Learning: Руccкий, Gaelg
Fiddling With: Gàidhlig
Interested In: čeština, isiXhosa, tiếng Việt, עברית, Беларуская Мова
Conlangs: Peb'il', Этиис Мих
Eden

Return to Constructed writing systems