Con-scripts from 7-segment LEDs

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Con-scripts from 7-segment LEDs

Postby Snarfangel » Sun 20 Feb 2011 5:41 pm

I mentioned this in another thread (about Clearscript), but I thought I'd post the possible 7-segment LED forms in different ways, in case someone would like to use it as a basis for their own alphabet.

I will put descriptive phrases in the picture titles, but the pictures themselves should be worth a thousand words (grin). The first picture is kind of a confusing jumble in places, mainly because a lot of the forms are not continuous, and segments can attach to different symbols. This inspired me to drop more than half of them. Hope someone finds them fun to work with!
Attachments
7segmentledpagea.gif
Here are all 128 possible letter forms for a 7-segment numeric LED, including the space at the end.
7segmentledpagea.gif (14 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
7segmentledpage_continuous.gif
Here are the 55 forms that are continuous rather than split, plus one that looks like the = sign (added to get 12 short symbols). Other symbols removed are those that differed only in size (o and O, for example) or position.
7segmentledpage_continuous.gif (9.95 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
7segmentledpage_grouping1.GIF
Here are the symbols grouped by type (symbols that are reflections or rotations of each other), plus the 12 short symbols in the upper left corner.
7segmentledpage_grouping1.GIF (9.63 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Snarfangel

Re: Con-scripts from 7-segment LEDs

Postby Vilņa » Fri 27 May 2011 2:57 am

Very interesting. A digital clock could actually show messages without extra LEDs. Good idea. Now, just give a value to the symbols and you might be on to something...
Native: English
Fluent: Lingua Latina
Learning: Re en Kam, Κοινὴ Διάλεκτος ( Ἑλληνικά)
Plan to learn: Ænglisc, Русский Язык, मानक हिन्दी, संस्कृतम्, Gaeilge
Conlangs: Værí, Savih Tāvūṇ, Agínwas Biþar, Bi'dimall
Vilņa

Location: Vilņa, Erator, Ránus, the Earth, the Solar System, Orion-Cygnus Arm, The Milky Way, the Local Group

Return to Constructed writing systems