How to write Finnish in Japanese script.

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

How to write Finnish in Japanese script.

Postby Alisbet » Tue 27 Jul 2010 8:08 pm

This has been in my mind for a while. Japanese and Finnish are rather similar to each other in the way that they are pronounced and other things. Therefore, I am going to try and create a system of how you can write the Finnish language using a modified version of the Japanese hiragana script. If you have any ideas, I would like to hear them.

All of the syllables that are already present in Japanese are obviously written the same way they do in Japanese with certain exceptions. For example, the Kana symbol すthat in Japanese means the syllable 'Su' is 'Na' in Finnish. Also, the っ symbol that marks the double consonants is replaced with a line that goes below the consonant that is being doubled and extents to the right a little bit and goes upwards. Imagine backwards letter L and you will get the picture.

And that is all that I have in mind for now. I hope that you will like it.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.
Alisbet

Re: How to write Finnish in Japanese script.

Postby Huixuan » Wed 28 Jul 2010 1:34 am

Are you basically renaming all of hiragana for Finnish? Interesting. I would like to see what you'd do about the large number of vowels, diphthongs, and codas.
Huixuan

Re: How to write Finnish in Japanese script.

Postby Alisbet » Wed 28 Jul 2010 9:03 am

I am not actually renaming all of the hiragana for the Finnish language. Only some of them are changed and the rest are left unchanged

As for the syllables that are not present in the Japanese, I am using some of the Kanji for that purpose. They of course need to be curved and simplified a bit to fit the rest of the script.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.
Alisbet

Return to Constructed writing systems