Using Cyrillic to Write Korean (Sirilgeul)

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Using Cyrillic to Write Korean (Sirilgeul)

Postby azrin_kiko » Tue 06 Apr 2010 8:06 am

I have devised a system to write Korean in Cyrillic (other than Korillic). The details can be found here on my blog:

http://www.janapuri.net/?p=172

Any comments?
azrin_kiko

Re: Using Cyrillic to Write Korean (Sirilgeul)

Postby Serali » Tue 06 Apr 2010 11:14 pm

Awesome!

I tried to read your CBox but I realized it wasn't in English. XD What language is it?

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby linguoboy » Wed 07 Apr 2010 3:28 am

azrin_kiko wrote:Any comments?

I don't understand the use of Cyrillic voiceless consonants to represent Korean unaspirated lax consonants in stem-final position. For instance, буйөбатассъымйө for 부여받았으며. According to your guidelines, the т here represents either [t] or [tʰ](*), but neither is correct; the sound is actually [d].

What makes this choice all the more mystifying is that many languages written in the Cyrillic alphabet have a rule which devoices voiced consonants in final position. For instance Russian не забуду [nʲɪz̪ʌ'bud̪u] "I won't forget" vs. не забудь! [nʲɪz̪ʌ'butʲ]. If you simply extend this rule to Sirilgeul, then you'll have the correct alternation. E.g. баб [pap̚] "cooked rice", бабыл [pabɯl] "cooked rice [acc.]".

I also don't understand the logic behind the use of the hard sign to separate syllables. I can understand the need for this in a strict transliteration of the Han'geul, but it seems unnecessary for an ordinary writing system. "ссъ", "ъсс", and "със" will all be pronounced exactly the same, so what's the need to differentiate them?

(*) Ambiguous because you never give any guidelines for syllable division. You seem to be equating "syllable" with "syllable block in Han'geul", but for all I know you have a more cross-linguistic definition in mind.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby azrin_kiko » Wed 07 Apr 2010 8:07 am

Serali wrote:Awesome!

I tried to read your CBox but I realized it wasn't in English. XD What language is it?

The language is informal Malay language, with shortened spelling that every native speakers can accurately guess...
azrin_kiko

Postby Serali » Wed 07 Apr 2010 8:27 am

Aah thanks.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Return to Constructed writing systems