Tengwar Shqiptare (for Albanian)

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Tengwar Shqiptare (for Albanian)

Postby Myrtonos » Sat 28 Jun 2014 12:39 am

For a while I have been working on a Tengwar mode for Albanian. I understand the prinicple of tengwar quite well. There are more distinct consontants than there are distinct vowels. Also, most words begin a consontant, but many of those words end in a vowel. It thus makes sense to indicate vowels by tehtar over the preceding tengwar. I also noticed that there aren't that many consonast clusters, especially on the edges of words, and thus it seems that each tehter should have a default vowel quality, but I'm not sure whether A or Ë is the most common vowel. Though it seems difficult to program default into TengScribe and YaTT, via mode editor.
You see, I don't know Albanian, and am most certainly not a native speaker.
Could anyone here - preferably a native speaker (with a talent for (constructed) writing systems) - translate this post into Albanian and help out?
Tyoxt icx zigna xaqis kirml nuganip icxptoi.
Myrtonos

Re: Tengwar Shqiptare (for Albanian)

Postby choc_pud » Tue 15 Jul 2014 3:24 pm

I'm afraid I don't speak any Albanian at all so I can't help with your request, but I do know that ë (the schwa) is by far the most common. It surprised me, actually, and made me wonder why they didn't swap the values for ë and e around. Save a lot of time when writing!
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby Myrtonos » Wed 16 Jul 2014 4:57 am

So ë would be the default vowel quality.
Myrtonos

Postby choc_pud » Thu 17 Jul 2014 5:37 pm

I would recommend that, yes. But as /a/ is so common, that should probably have a fairly simple glyph assigned to it as well.
choc_pud

Postby Myrtonos » Sat 19 Jul 2014 8:19 am

Maybe one series of Tengwar with the default vowel quality a and another with the default vowel quality ë.
Myrtonos

Postby choc_pud » Mon 21 Jul 2014 9:00 pm

Sounds good, though might that not make it slightly more complex than necessary? Also the tehtar for /a/ is so well known, you may find that people think it odd to have not used it. Just a thought.
choc_pud

Return to Constructed writing systems