Manchu Alphabet in Cyrillic

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Manchu Alphabet in Cyrillic

Postby Kyuzo Aoi » Mon 03 Sep 2012 8:47 pm

I heard in a post about a Manchu Cyrillic alphabet, but I cannot find the exact alphabet. So I created one myself from scratch. After all, all the other Tungus languages are written in Cyrillic so why not Manchu, a Tungus language?

I created a scenario where the Russians after the end of World War II decided that Manchuria should become independent rather than be given to China. This caused the Chinese Nationalists to invade Manchuria, but failed. The rest of China will become Communist, and after the complete victory of the South Koreans in the Korean War, the Soviets decide to create a Korean autonomous oblast in the Lake Khanka region. In 1962, the Sino-Soviet split opened up, and the main beef aside the ideological one is that of Communist Manchuria. The Soviets does not want to annex Manchuria to the USSR or give it back to China, instead, they revived the Manchu language with the Cyrillic language as the alphabet. Manchuria is tri-lingual, with Manchu, Russian, and Mandarin as official languages. The communists in Manchuria fell in 1991, like in other Soviet republics. But like in the case of Cambodia, the monarchy is restored, but as a complete constitutional monarch like in Japan. The original Manchu alphabet was made co-official again along with Manchu Cyrillic.

Relations with China and Taiwan improved, though there is still rivalry. Manchuria is a multicultural state, like Singapore. Its leaders knew that the Manchus are in the minority, and the Manchus use the language in a similar situation as in Ireland; Gaelic is the national language, yet it was used only is school and official government documents. However, the Internet helped Manchu gained ground, and the Manchurian internet denizenry is a rival of the Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, and Japanese, with the Abka being the Manchu 4chan, and new Manchu phrases being coined.

Here is the alphabet itself.

А а A a
Б б B b
В в V v
Г г G g
Д д D d
Е е E e, Ye ye
Ё ё Yo Yo
Ж ж J j
З з Z z
И и I i
Й й Y y, Yi yi
К к K k
Л л L l
М м M m
Н н N n
О о O o
П п P p
Р р R r
С с S s
Т т T t
У у U u
Ў ў W w
Ү ү U u, Ue, ue
Ф ф F f
Х х H h
Ц ц Ts ts
Ч ч Ch ch
Ш ш Sh sh
Щ щ Sch sch [for loanwords]
Ъ ъ ' [for Russian loanwords]
Ы ы Yeri [for Russian loanwords]
Э э E e, Ei ei
Ю ю Yu yu
Я я Ya ya

http://kyuzoaoi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5dd16j
Kyuzo Aoi

Re: Manchu Alphabet in Cyrillic

Postby Kyuzo Aoi » Fri 21 Sep 2012 6:47 pm

Found this on the Russian Wikipedia...

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0% ... 0%BA%D1%82

There is a Cyrillic alphabet for Xibe, a Manchu offshoot. It was like this...

Аа, Бб, Вв, Гг, Ғғ, Дд, Ее, Ёё, Жж, Җҗ, Зз, Ии, Йй, Кк, Ққ, Лл, Мм, Нн, Ңң, Оо, Өө, Пп, Рр, Сс, Тт, Уу, Үү, Фф, Хх, Ҳҳ, Цц, Чч, Шш, ы, Яя, ь

It will be of use as I try to revise the alphabet of Cyrillic Manchu.
Kyuzo Aoi

Re: Manchu Alphabet in Cyrillic

Postby Kyuzo Aoi » Sun 08 Dec 2013 11:22 pm

I have somewhat refined my Manchu Cyrillic Alphabet. I also made it compatible to the rejected proposal of the Cyrillic Xibe Alphabet where I based it, and I added more letters.

Аа,
Бб,
Вв,
Гг,
Ғғ,
Дд,
Ее,
Ёё,
Жж,
Җҗ,
Зз,
Ии,