What language is this?

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

What language is this?

Postby goofy » Mon 26 Nov 2012 5:23 am

goofy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed 20 May 2009 12:24 am

Re: What language is this?

Postby linguoboy » Mon 26 Nov 2012 2:43 pm

It's Cree, probably an eastern variety judging by the presence of the š-series. The last three words are "kici-peci takošina".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: What language is this?

Postby goofy » Mon 26 Nov 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks! What about the final letter? It doesn't seem to be part of the Eastern Cree orthography. And what about the first word, which begins with a final letter?
goofy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed 20 May 2009 12:24 am

Re: What language is this?

Postby linguoboy » Mon 26 Nov 2012 8:00 pm

goofy wrote:Thanks! What about the final letter? It doesn't seem to be part of the Eastern Cree orthography. And what about the first word, which begins with a final letter?

Oh right, my bad: takošinan.

Hmm, now I'm not sure, since that's a Western Cree convention. (I misread it as going the other way, which is the Eastern Cree convention for final /t/.) Maybe there's some variety of Cree that mixes and matches from the two orthographies?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: What language is this?

Postby kiwehtin » Sun 02 Dec 2012 7:25 pm

The first word would be nkiskentetan. I'm not sure if this is Cree or Ojibwe. There is a š/s distinction in North Ontario, James Bay and southwestern Quebec Cree (where they merge to /s/ further west and to /s/, /š/ or /h/ further east).

If it's Ojibwe, the double curl syllabogram would be /ž/, spelled 'zh' in most Ojibwe/Algonkin/Odawa Latin script orthographies.

This comes from an installation by the Toronto photographer Howard Chan on the outside of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Front Street, across from the CBC Broadcast Centre, right?
kiwehtin
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu 13 Aug 2009 6:43 pm

Re: What language is this?

Postby telal » Mon 03 Dec 2012 3:37 pm

linguoboy wrote:Maybe there's some variety of Cree that mixes and matches from the two orthographies?


it's western cree
לא משנה
User avatar
telal
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 8:48 pm

Re: What language is this?

Postby kiwehtin » Thu 06 Dec 2012 4:02 am

telal wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Maybe there's some variety of Cree that mixes and matches from the two orthographies?


it's western cree


When I put up the picture on a Facebook Cree language group, someone said the ‹ši› syllabogram (the ʃ-like shape) was "not Cree". It was confusing to people because the contrast between /ʃ/ and /s/ exists only in the Cree dialects southwest of James Bay in North Ontario (Swampy Cree) and southern Quebec. To the east, the two sounds merge into a single phoneme, /s/, /ʃ/ or /h/, depending on dialect (with positional allophony in the Montagnais/Innu/Ilnu dialects of eastern Quebec and Labrador), and to /s/ in northwestern Ontario and all dialects further west.

So since it has this contrastive /ʃ/ phoneme, it can't be western Cree.
kiwehtin
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu 13 Aug 2009 6:43 pm

Re: What language is this?

Postby goofy » Sat 08 Dec 2012 7:46 pm

kiwehtin wrote:This comes from an installation by the Toronto photographer Howard Chan on the outside of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Front Street, across from the CBC Broadcast Centre, right?


Correct. and thanks for your help!
goofy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed 20 May 2009 12:24 am


Return to Writing systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron