Unknown Script on a blade

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Unknown Script on a blade

Postby bayo-wolf » Sat 13 Feb 2010 3:59 pm

Hello- This is my first post on your forum. I was delighted to run across it. I have been trying to ID an unknown script. There are two panels of it on a blade made ca. 1740-50. Unless I am way off base, it seems to be one of the mystical alphabets based on Hebrew in use during that time. Seems related to the Alphabet of the Magi, but not quite. Any ideas? If I posted this is the wrong section, please let me know.
Attachments
temp6.jpg
temp6.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
temp4.jpg
temp4.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
bayo-wolf

Re: Unknown Script on a blade

Postby telal » Sat 13 Feb 2010 8:44 pm

i dont think it is a script

i think it is only decoration
לא משנה
telal

Postby bayo-wolf » Sun 14 Feb 2010 3:59 am

I've had this thing for years and originally had thought these were non-sense symbols put on for decoration. Recently though on reexamining it, I changed my mind. There is no repeating pattern and the two sides are quite different. The figure that looks like a 4 (top left on the bottom photo) is repeated, but the small character following it to the left isn't always the same.
bayo-wolf

Postby Stosis » Mon 15 Feb 2010 3:15 am

It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen. Do you know anything more about the date and the region it came from? Any other back stories that might help?

A picture of the entire weapon would also help.
Stosis

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 15 Feb 2010 5:19 am

bayo-wolf wrote:Any ideas?

It could be one of those magic scripts from a grimoire.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Talib » Mon 15 Feb 2010 6:06 am

Sobekhotep wrote:It could be one of those magic scripts from a grimoire.
Interesting. I'd never heard this word until today.
Unless I am way off base, it seems to be one of the mystical alphabets based on Hebrew in use during that time.
There is no way it's related to Hebrew. It looks nothing like it.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby bayo-wolf » Mon 15 Feb 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I think you are on the right track with the grimoire. I know it doesn't resemble Hebrew at all, but according to the information I have read about them, these magic alphabets are based on Hebrew. They seem to become popular in Europe from the 16th century forward. Do a google search on the Alphabet of the Magi and you'll get the idea.

The blade is on a plug bayonet. It is made the Germanic/Austrian tradition and some features on the engraving make it fairly certainly dated ca. 1740s. It really could have been used anywhere in Europe, but Germany or Austria is the most likely. Hunting swords and bayonets from this time frequently feature a few characters like this. In most cases, I don't think they actually say anything, but are more a kind of decoration and give the impression of some kind of magical blessing on the blade. This one is unusual in that there are so many of the characters. It seems to fall over from decoration to a message to me. I have posted some photos of the entire weapon.

Perhaps someone can direct me toward a college program that would have some experts in these alphabets.
Attachments
temp3.jpg
temp3.jpg (97.47 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
temp2.jpg
temp2.jpg (97.27 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
temp1.jpg
temp1.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
bayo-wolf

Postby Serali » Tue 16 Feb 2010 12:54 am

There is no way that this could be a decoration.

I have a conscript that sort of like this. But I have no idea what this could be. I like it though and I'm going to play with these symbols what ever they are.

I'm going with the theory that it's one of the magical scripts. Because it doesn't resemble any natscript.

Do you have any idea of what the origins of this sword are? Where it came from? I'm thinking France for some reason because there's a carving of a guy on there that looks like a Frenchmen. I'd like to know what it is though.

I love things like this. Makes me giddy. What I'll do is Google magical scripts and see if I can find anything that looks like it.

I'm in love this what ever it is. So pretty.

Pretty scripty.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby telal » Tue 16 Feb 2010 3:54 pm

Serali wrote:There is no way that this could be a decoration.

do you have any substantive evidence for this claim?
לא משנה
telal

Postby rickardspaghetti » Tue 16 Feb 2010 4:35 pm

I think it resembles both Coptic and Glagolitic.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Next

Return to Writing systems