Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby imbecilica » Thu 20 May 2010 7:14 am

Yeah if I get a chance I will scan my handwritten version. The problem was that I was at university and obviously those computers do not support the Han Nom fonts, therefore I had to copy and paste each character haha! However if I do it at home, (since I have the fonts) I can just put it into Microsoft Word and take a screenshot of it using the Han Nom fonts.

Also, the characters I used were just to conform with the "standardisation" rules of my friends and I. Personally, there are some characters I would've chosen differently. Overall, however, I think it's good to stick to some sort of standardisation. The problem is that sometimes my friends choose the characters with the fewest readings, even if there is a more etymologically correct character with more than one reading. For example, I always use the simplified Chinese numerals in place for native Vietnamese numbers in handwriting because the Sino-Vietnamese numerals mostly only appear in expressions.

Here is a sample of the first sentence of the song again. The first one are characters copied and pasted (I know it's sad!) from http://sager-pc.cs.nyu.edu/~huesoft/ The second and third are in the actual Han Nom A and B fonts. Notice how there are two characters that differ. This is because those two characters were not available using the aforementioned source. The best source for Nôm characters has to be http://nomfoundation.org/index.php?IDcat=51 or http://www.nomna.org/index.php?IDcat=23

My favourite character is a variant of turtle (rùa). The one on the left is how it appears in the font, the one on the right I edited by extending the 'tail'.

A turtle with a map on his/her back! haha!
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby imbecilica » Fri 21 May 2010 6:40 am

Here: I use some variant characters. Note that I had to realign the characters as I write very messily. How aweful is my writing haha!

Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Fri 21 May 2010 3:29 pm

This is beautiful!

I love your Chinese/Chữ Nôm handwriting. I think you know that you have nice handwriting and that you're being modest. :mrgreen:

I want to see more!

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby sokuban » Sun 23 May 2010 12:08 am

Oh, it's been a while. How's university?

Wow, I'm impressed too. You've really managed to learn Chu Nom eh.

If I ever (I doubt it) learn Vietnamese, learning Chu Nom would be the first thing I'd do.

Your handwriting is really nice too.
sokuban

Postby imbecilica » Mon 24 May 2010 3:41 am

Yeah I'm going pretty well and yes Chu Nom is going VERY well, although I must admit my character writing is pretty shocking! :mrgreen:

Guess I'll have to write 永 out 1000 times!
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Mon 24 May 2010 3:39 pm

imbecilica wrote:Yeah I'm going pretty well and yes Chu Nom is going VERY well, although I must admit my character writing is pretty shocking! :mrgreen:

Guess I'll have to write 永 out 1000 times!

My Korean handwriting is like your Chữ Nôm handwriting neat and pretty however ask me to write in Chinese Japanese Kanji or Chữ Nôm and it looks like crap. :mrgreen:

So I admire that fact about you. I have a few Chinese friends and their writing is nowhere near yours. Yours is perfection.

And Idk about writing 永 1000 or any character that many times. What does it mean btw?

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby imbecilica » Tue 25 May 2010 2:30 pm

永 [yong3, wing5, vĩnh] means eternity. It is a special character because it contains all 8 basic strokes of Chinese characters.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... acters.svg
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Tue 25 May 2010 10:00 pm

Awesome!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby Pangu » Wed 14 Jul 2010 12:59 pm

Wow, imbecilica, your handwriting is beautiful!

I've been interested in Chữ Nôm for a few years now and recently started to learn it casually. It wasn't much of a challenge for me to learn as I already know Chinese, but now that I am also actively learning Vietnamese, it certainly helps with learning Chữ Nôm as I can actually use it in a meaningful way :)

Are there any resources you recommend? Right now my main resource is the Nom Lookup Tool which I simply can't live without lol
Fluent: 漢語, English
Learning: tiếng Việt (Chữ Nôm)
Interested: 한국어
Pangu

Postby Serali » Wed 14 Jul 2010 7:07 pm

imbecilica wrote:永 [yong3, wing5, vĩnh] means eternity. It is a special character because it contains all 8 basic strokes of Chinese characters.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... acters.svg

That is beyond awesomeness. I wonder if there's anymore like it?

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems