A Mysterious Language and Script

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

A Mysterious Language and Script

Postby VROOR » Fri 20 Nov 2009 6:52 pm

Thie following shows a mysterious language written in an unknown script. Between this language's text, on the left is Tibetan whilst on the right is Uyghur.

This mysterious language's script, its ligatures appear to be designed for horizontal writing but, it is written vertically (please share your thoughts and theories on what language it is):

and a cropped section image:

the close-up image:
ImageImage
VROOR

Re: A Mysterious Language and Script

Postby Serali » Sun 22 Nov 2009 1:55 am

Where did you find this?

It doesn't look like anything I've seen before. But one thing is pretty obvious, whatever the text in this language and script says the same thing is written in Tibetan and Uyghur ( at least to me ).

As to what language it is I have no idea as I've never seen anything like it before but for some reason it's familiar. Maybe it's a cipher for one of the languages beside it or maybe not.

Whatever it is it's beautiful and hopefully someone knows what writing this is.

Do you know anything about it though? That will help.

Edit: It kinda looks something like this, but vertical.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

To: Serali

Postby VROOR » Sun 22 Nov 2009 10:15 am

Serali wrote:Where did you find this?

On a Manchurian forum called 【ᠮᠠᠨᠵᡠ ‍ᡳ ᠠᠪᡴᠠ】. The original thread's author cannot decipher what language it is, and thus, I posted it here for more feedbacks. I have suggested that, it is a form of Tocharian script written vertically; however, they disagreed with my views.

Thank you for your feedback.
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby VROOR » Sun 22 Nov 2009 12:12 pm

Please compare the mysterious script with the following Tocharian writing:

Notice the similarities...
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Jeisuke » Sun 22 Nov 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Vroor,

The script between the Tibetan and Uyghur is Tai. I think the dialect is Pai-Yi, but wouldn't stake my life on it. It is written in the Lik-Hto Nguok script. (Ref. Sai Kam Mong's "The History and Development of the Shan Script").

It really isn't written vertically...it has only been turned 90-deg. It is normally written on palm leaves so 5~7 lines, very long.

The only Tai language that I'm aware of that truly is written in vertical lines is the Qui-Chao dialect of Vietnam. (see Michel Ferlus "Phonetique et ecriture du Tai Qui Chau") downloadable from http://www.persee.fr

Good luck.
JG
Attachments
paiyi1.jpg
paiyi1.jpg (146 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
Jeisuke

Postby VROOR » Sun 22 Nov 2009 9:14 pm

Jeisuke wrote:The script between the Tibetan and Uyghur is Tai. I think the dialect is Pai-Yi, but wouldn't stake my life on it. It is written in the Lik-Hto Nguok script.It really isn't written vertically...it has only been turned 90-deg. The only Tai language that I'm aware of that truly is written in vertical lines is the Qui-Chao dialect of Vietnam.

Thank you for the feedback and informations. On the original forum where these images were transfered here, one individual there did suggest the script and language to be Tai-Dam; however, he did not make a solid stance with his theory. Your feedback certainly will strengthen that theory, thank you.
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Serali » Sun 22 Nov 2009 9:54 pm

*Is speechless*

First Thai wasn't even on my mind when I saw this....Second where can I find more samples of this script? I like it.

Second I wasn't even aware that there was a Thai script written vertically. Samples please!

VROOR wrote:Thank you for your feedback

Your quite welcome.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby Jeisuke » Mon 23 Nov 2009 6:43 am

Serali,

The link where you can download the Michel Farlus article on Qui Chau Tai (The vertical Tai script) is at http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/pr ... ent%3Achau^900.0+fullTitle%3Achau^940.0+content%3Achau+title%3Achau^2.0+summary%3Achau+authors%3Achau^5.0+illustrations%3Achau^4.0+bibrefs%3Achau^4.0+toctitles%3Achau^4.0+toctitles1%3Achau^3.0+toctitles2%3Achau^2.0+toctitles3%3Achau))+AND+(+%2Baccess_right%3A(free)+)&words=chau&words=900&words=940&words=free

I hope the link works. Otherwise, click on http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/search/ and enter Qui Chau in the searches field in the upper left corner of the web page

JG
Jeisuke

Postby imbecilica » Mon 23 Nov 2009 7:58 am

I also agree that it is possibly the Tai Qui Chau (aka Quy Chau) script. I, myself, am quite familiar with the Tai-Viet scripts of Vietnam. I believe the correct spelling in the modern Vietnamese script is Quí Châu or Quý Châu. The issue of when to use i and y in Vietnamese is still being debated. Usage of the y tends to be used by more conservative people and tends to indicate a Chinese origin of the word.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Mon 23 Nov 2009 8:11 am

It's pretty!

Thank you! Now about the sample you posted......I want a key to it and if possible more samples.

You seem to know lots about Thai scripts which is good because there's some that I've heard of but never seen and would like to know where I could if they're any samples out on the internet.

I once again thank you. You made my day. Imbecillica do you know where I can get some more samples and keys ( charts with the whole scripts ) of various Tai-Viet scripts?

Thai scripts in general fascinate me because I think they're beautiful. They're one of my favorites.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Next

Return to Writing systems