How many scripts can you read

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

How many writing systems do you know?

only one
No votes
2-5
75%
5-10
No votes
10-20
25%
20-30
No votes
30-50
No votes

Total votes : 4

How many scripts can you read

Postby ssoxsse » Fri 06 Apr 2012 7:48 pm

well, I think I can do maybe 20, but a lot of them are very rusty.
study focus: ພາສາລາວ, 㗂越
ssoxsse

Re: How many scripts can you read

Postby Aika-sáni » Thu 28 Jun 2012 11:24 pm

That depends on whether the term script means for example Arabic= Arabic and Urdu or Arabic means Arabic and Urdu means Urdu-which i think makes more sence seing as someone who knows latin for English doesn't know latin for welsh.
Assuming it's the later:
I can read fluently Latin: English, German, French, Italian, Polish, Romanian, Turkish, Albania, Maori, Czech and Swedish and my conlangs version of the Latin script.
Cyrillic: Russian, Ukranian, Bulgarian and Macedonian

I can read Arabic (arabic), Devanagari, Hebrew, Irish, Portugese, Dutch, Welsh and Spanish slowly.

Of course I can sound these all out but I don't always know the language.
Dća a haíjạ́na ce Hijẹíba, Saï--ba, Ạía, Yedẹma ai ba cạjam.
Aika-sáni

Postby kiwehtin » Sat 30 Jun 2012 11:42 pm

I can't really say off the top of my head, so I'll just list the scripts I know with how well I can read them. By the way, I use the definition of script that takes it to be a base character set together with any extensions used for different languages, such as borrowed, derived, invented letters or letters with added diacritic marks.

Latin (best known; ease of reading depends on the language, depending on whether I know it well enough to pick up on the spelling rules (cf. Irish, Gaelic) or the clues that help to parse the words into stress groups etc. as in Finnish, Hungarian, Basque.)

Greek (fairly well)
Cyrillic (quite easily)
Arabic (fairly well, but with some difficulty for non-Arabic languages such as Urdu, Malay)
Hebrew (slowly, basically deciphering with some difficulty, whether for Hebrew, Yiddish or other Jewish languages)
Gujarati (fairly well)
Devanagari (fairly well)
Kaithi
Baybayin (Old Philippine script group, fairly well, hampered by poor knowledge of Tagalog) (Greater difficulty with modern Kapampangan "Kulitan" conscript, which is a moving target because of the continual innovations being added)
Bugis-Makassarese "Lontara" (with difficulty since I know next to nothing of the languages and like Baybayin, they don't spell coda consonants)
Makassarese "Jangang-jangang" ("Bird script": with difficulty since I know next to no Makassarese)
South Sumatran "surat ulu"/"rencong"/"kagana", Lampung (relatively slowly since I don't know enough Malay and essentially no Rejang or Lampung)
Batak scripts (relatively well since it spells words fairly clearly if obtusely, but without understanding)
Kawi/Old Javanese (fairly well, though I need to look up subjunct consonants)
Modern Javanese/Balinese (same as for Kawi)
Burmese (with some effort, less easily than the Javanese group scripts)
Inuktitut syllabics (easily, but like Finnish, the words tend to be quite run on)
Cree syllabics (easily, if the eastern version—and like Inuktitut, you can get some long, morphologically complex words—but the Western version, with its special symbols for coda consonants instead of simple raised and smaller versions of ordinary consonant letters, is harder)
Brahmi (fairly well, if slowly)
Safaitic, Hismaic (with some difficulty: I haven't yet learned all the variant letter shapes so I get confused easily)
kiwehtin

Postby linguoboy » Sun 01 Jul 2012 4:49 am

Latin, Irish, Fraktur, Cyrillic, Greek, Armenian, Coptic, Devanagari, Gurmukhi, Hebrew, Perso-Arabic, Han'geul, Chinese.

Scripts that I can write acceptably as well as read are underlined. I have some facility with Germanic runes, Georgian (Mkhedruli), Ogham, Tibetan ('Phags-pa), Katakana and Hiragana, Thai, and Bengali but not enough that I can transliterate from them without consulting charts. (This is particularly annoying when it comes to the kana, which I've been studying for years but just can't remember all of despite knowing hundreds of kanji.)

Oh, and I did study Tengwar at one point. I remember the principles on which it's based but not most of the specific assignments.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Sun 15 Jul 2012 5:28 pm

I can read Latin script (obviously), Cyrillic and Greek. I can't vote on the poll, though, because it seems to be broken. It looks like nobody else has voted either.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Elijah » Thu 16 Aug 2012 3:45 pm

I can read Latin, some Cyrillic, some Greek, Tibetan (and thus Phagspa), hiragana, a little katakana, and some kanji (hanzi).
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Fri 17 Aug 2012 4:22 am

That depends on how you define reading.

Latin script I have no problem with, and I can read English and French in it. (My French is rusty.)
Hebrew I can decipher and occasionally understand.
In both traditional and simplified Chinese, I'm out of practice.
I can decipher Greek.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Pax » Sun 21 Oct 2012 9:19 pm

Latin, Greek (ancient), anglo-saxon, and thats about it.
Fluent: None
Intermediate: None
Basic: Español, tlhIngan Hol
Pax

Postby choc_pud » Fri 02 Nov 2012 6:17 pm

I can read English, Welsh, German, French, Spanish, and Tyke using Latin; Russian using Cyrillic; and about four of my own conscripts. (I have made well over fifty). :ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby Anoran » Fri 02 Nov 2012 8:41 pm

I can read Latin (Just like basically everyone else on this forum) and Daedric (I play too much Elder Scrolls). I've got a grasp of Greek and Cyrillic, but can't read them quickly. I'd also be able to read one of my conscripts, but I kept changing the letter assignments and now I'm all confused. :?
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Next

Return to Writing systems