What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Talib » Tue 07 Jul 2009 9:06 am

dtp883 wrote:You could edit it, keep more people from making the error. That is of course if you have time and want to.
I do edit Wikipedia sometimes but I leave that stuff to the linguistics majors. They know better than I do.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Tue 07 Jul 2009 5:28 pm

ILuvEire wrote:So right now, I'm learning Arabic, and Seán and I are going to try Irish, after Hungarian scared us off. I have a nice long wish list that changes daily, all I know is that tomorrow I'm hoping to put in an hour of study into MSA and Irish.

Should we open up a little Cúinne na Gaeilge to keep you boys faoin úim?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 07 Jul 2009 9:00 pm

Assuming that means an Irish Corner, then sure, although we don't know much yet. :P
And what in the world does "faoin úim" mean? Irishdictionary.ie says it means "supine harness". :/
Is it supposed to mean like "tied down" or something?
Sean of the Dead

Postby linguoboy » Tue 07 Jul 2009 9:11 pm

Sean of the Dead wrote:And what in the world does "faoin úim" mean? Irishdictionary.ie says it means "supine harness". Is it supposed to mean like "tied down" or something?

If examine the additional entries under faoin in the search results (look in the USAGE section), you'll see that it can also be a contraction of faoi "in/under" and an "the".

(As a rule, adjectives follow the noun in Irish. Moreover, úim is feminine, so any adjective modifying it would be lenited. That is to say "supine harness" would be úim fhaoin, not faoin úim. Or perhaps I should save this for the first post in Cúinne na Gaeilge?)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Neqitan » Wed 08 Jul 2009 1:33 am

dtp883 wrote:@Neqitan: Do you still struggle with English Vowels?

Not to that point anymore, but it's mainly because I was never taught the monster that English's phonology is!
Talib wrote:It has [æ ɪ ʊ] and [æː iː uː] which become [ɑ ɑː] around certain consonants. Pretty simple actually. I don't know why the material on Wikipedia chose this funny way of transcribing them.

To make it seem harder, of course! :P
Talib wrote:I still do and I'm a native speaker!

(Joke.)
Haha I do with spelling, especially of the word experience I ALWAYS want to put an <i> with or instead of the bold <e>, because of the way it sounds.

If you mean that you find them hard as for spelling, it's not the same... Remembering how to spell words is not so bad.

Yeah, for girls learning languages, refer to unilang.

How many corners is Omniglot going to have? Right now it seems like a dodecagon!
Neqitan

Postby mike92s8 » Wed 08 Jul 2009 5:15 am

Hello! I haven't been around for a little while, but have access to the Internet again. Yay!

Anyway I want to learn these languages:
Slovak
Polish

Would like to learn in the future:
Irish

I would really like to learn Slovak the most, as I am mostly Slovak and I have family in Slovakia that I would really like to visit one day. But resources for it are scarce near me.

I also have family that speaks Polish, and there are plenty of resources for this, so I think that would be the first I will tackle.

I have a pretty strong interest in the Slavic languages in general, especially the Western Slavic branch.

Irish because I really like the sound of the language, and I have always liked the culture. Unfortunately the usefulness is slim to none for me. I've been getting froggy with it though and have been looking at lessons online for it.

So this list could be alot longer, but I figure three is a good enough chunk to work towards for now.
mike92s8

Postby Declan » Wed 08 Jul 2009 9:04 pm

linguoboy wrote:Or perhaps I should save this for the first post in Cúinne na Gaeilge?)

Déan é! B'fhéidir go mbeidh sé suimiúil!
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby CJS » Wed 08 Jul 2009 11:35 pm

Languages I'd like to study soon:
I'm studying Old English now and I want to focus on the Germanic languages for a while. I'd like to work on Old Norse next, maybe switching between that and modern Icelandic. Then Norwegian, starting with Bokmål, and moving to Nynorsk. Middle English too (The dialect of Gawain and the Green Knight at least).

Languages I'd like to get to eventually:
Keeping with the Germanic theme, add German and maybe Dutch at some point. I'd definitely go for Gothic if there were more to read in the language.

I'd also like to pick up Latin and Greek again, after I'm done with the Germanic kick.

Then probably French. Maybe an Ibero-Romance period next with Spanish, Portuguese, and Catalan.

Old, Middle, and Modern Irish somewhere in there.
CJS

Postby Sean of the Dead » Thu 09 Jul 2009 12:46 am

Wow, all those dead languages are quite impressive. 8-)
How much Old English do you know already? Do you already have resources for learning that dialect (or any) of Middle English, or do you have any in mind?

I too like Gothic a lot, and it really sucks that the only big text we have is a crappy translation of the bible. :cry:

If you'd like some Old Irish materials, I have 4 PDFs I could send to you: Concise Old Irish Grammar and Reader, Introduction to Old Irish, A Grammar of Old Irish, and A First Old Irish Grammar and Reader (which includes an intro to Middle Irish ;) )

And I'm just going to post what I did on Unilang yesterday. It's less likely to change every couple days :lol:

Norwegian: I'll speak it at a low to mid-advanced level by the end of 2010, if that's not possible, summer 2011.

German: I really want to learn German, and I eventually will, but at the present time I am completely unable to remember verb conjugations and noun genders and plurals, so in several years I would like to start over, but not until I speak Norwegian well.

By 2020: Speak Norwegian, Irish (or whatever language Tyler and I finally decide on learning, which will hopefully be Irish :D ), and Doric Scots fluently, and low to mid-advanced Japanese, assuming I stick with it after high school.

By 2025: Should be able to speak Japanese and German around fluently by then, and will have moved to Tromsø and started learning Northern Sami.

By 2035: Speak Northern Sami fluently, maybe Dutch, and possibly another language or 2 I may have picked up along the way. :D
Sean of the Dead

Postby linguoboy » Thu 09 Jul 2009 2:02 am

Declan wrote:Déan é! B'fhéidir go mbeidh sé suimiúil!

Ceart go leor, tá sé déanta agam. Cúinne na Gaeilge is open for business!
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning