What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Sean of the Dead » Mon 06 Jul 2009 11:45 pm

It's fun to look back and see what languages I wanted to learn. :D
I think I'll update this every couple months so I can continue to look back. ;)

Sean of the Dead wrote:German - I'm trying to not use it now, so hopefully in several years I can come back to it and try again, but I really want to learn it fluently.

Norwegian - I'm definitely going to learn to speak this fluently, no ifs, ands, or buts. 8-)

Japanese - Taking this for 3 years in school, starting this upcoming year, will probably learn it fluently, at least advanced.

Hungarian - Really love it's looks, sound, and grammar. Learning with boyfriend. (:

Possibly, in order of possibility:
Scots (The Doric dialect, then maybe an Insular dialect after that)
Northern Sami - If I move to Tromsø (which I really hope to), then I'll probably learn it while living there, but if I don't move there, it would probably be much harder to learn.
Irish
Dutch

There are many other languages I'd like to learn, but since I would never learn them, it's no use posting them all here. :P
Sean of the Dead

Postby imbecilica » Mon 06 Jul 2009 11:49 pm

ALREADY SPEAK FLUENTLY
:arrow: English
:arrow: Vietnamese

ALREADY LEARNING
:arrow: French
:arrow: Mandarin (Chinese)

WILL DEFINITELY LEARN
:arrow: Cantonese (Chinese)
:arrow: Spanish

FEEL LIKE LEARNING
:arrow: Japanese
:arrow: Korean
:arrow: German
:arrow: Arabic
:arrow: Italian
:arrow: Portuguese

Though it's unlikely I'll learn all of them, by age 30, I want to speak fluently or at least intermediately in English, French, Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin and Cantonese and if I'm lucky Korean or Japanese, Italian or Portuguese, and Arabic or German. :lol:
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 07 Jul 2009 2:12 am

Neqitan wrote:MSA's got /æ:~ɐ:/, /i:/, /u:/, /ə/, /ɪ/ & /ʊ/ (3 short, 3 long) though, not that similar. :D

Think of it this way. MSA has three vowel phonemes: /a/, /i/, & /u/ all of which can be long.
/a/ is realized as [æ] most of the time except in the environment of a neighboring /r/, /q/ or an emphatic consonant where it becomes [ɑ]. The other 2 vowels follow a similar pattern.
Quechua also has the same 3 vowel phonemes, but with no length distinction. Monolingual speakers pronounce these as [æ] [ɪ] and [ʊ] respectively except when the vowels appear adjacent to the uvular consonants /q/, /qʼ/, and /qʰ/, they are rendered more like [ɑ], [ɛ] and [ɔ] respectively.
Is the similarity not uncanny?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Tue 07 Jul 2009 2:44 am

Sobekhotep wrote:...

It's just one of my many rants against languages with larger vowel inventories than Spanish, while also include English and Mandarin now and then... When you're a Spanish speaker and you're taught that cup are cap are supposed to sound different, that can be very annoying! :lol:
Anyway my eventual goal is learn the six official languages of the United Nations. I know English, some French, and Arabic and Spanish would be a snap. Russian and Mandarin are a lot more intimidating though.

That was my original goal years ago. Later on, I realized I've never really cared for French and Russian. :P
Neqitan

Postby Talib » Tue 07 Jul 2009 6:07 am

Sobekhotep wrote:Think of it this way. MSA has three vowel phonemes: /a/, /i/, & /u/ all of which can be long.
/a/ is realized as [æ] most of the time except in the environment of a neighboring /r/, /q/ or an emphatic consonant where it becomes [ɑ]. The other 2 vowels follow a similar pattern.
Quechua also has the same 3 vowel phonemes, but with no length distinction. Monolingual speakers pronounce these as [æ] [ɪ] and [ʊ] respectively except when the vowels appear adjacent to the uvular consonants /q/, /qʼ/, and /qʰ/, they are rendered more like [ɑ], [ɛ] and [ɔ] respectively.
Is the similarity not uncanny?
I did notice that. That's how the short Arabic vowels are generally pronounced.

The uvular consonants lower the high vowels to mid vowels, which is a feature also found in Inuktitut.
That was my original goal years ago. Later on, I realized I've never really cared for French and Russian.
French is fine (I live in Canada after all) but Russian is pretty daunting. Maybe I can sub in an easier Slavic language.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby dtp883 » Tue 07 Jul 2009 6:54 am

Hm, I always thought MSA only had /æ/ /i/ and /u/. I never knew they changed depending on certain consonants. Oh well, guess you learn something new everyday.

@Sean of the Dead: I thought you were a boy lol, it's cool to know that we have a female omnigloter, I know we had some in the past but I believe you are currently the only one.

@Neqitan: Do you still struggle with English Vowels?

@Sobekhotep(Main Conversation): Do you have to enter all 10,000 sentences on your own, or are there packs an such? If it's the former that would probably help you become fluent on it's own. :P
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Talib » Tue 07 Jul 2009 7:37 am

dtp883 wrote:Hm, I always thought MSA only had /æ/ /i/ and /u/. I never knew they changed depending on certain consonants. Oh well, guess you learn something new everyday.
It has [æ ɪ ʊ] and [æː iː uː] which become [ɑ ɑː] around certain consonants. Pretty simple actually. I don't know why the material on Wikipedia chose this funny way of transcribing them.
@Sean of the Dead: I thought you were a boy lol, it's cool to know that we have a female omnigloter, I know we had some in the past but I believe you are currently the only one.
My first thought was that he's gay actually.
I still do and I'm a native speaker!

(Joke.)
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 07 Jul 2009 8:07 am

Talib wrote:
@Sean of the Dead: I thought you were a boy lol, it's cool to know that we have a female Omnigloter, I know we had some in the past but I believe you are currently the only one.

Hehe, you are correct Talib. ;)
If you're looking for wimminz there are tons on Unilang. :D
And fyi ILuvEire is my boyfriend. :)
Sean of the Dead

Postby dtp883 » Tue 07 Jul 2009 8:12 am

Talib wrote:
dtp883 wrote:Hm, I always thought MSA only had /æ/ /i/ and /u/. I never knew they changed depending on certain consonants. Oh well, guess you learn something new everyday.
It has [æ ɪ ʊ] and [æː iː uː] which become [ɑ ɑː] around certain consonants. Pretty simple actually. I don't know why the material on Wikipedia chose this funny way of transcribing them.

You could edit it, keep more people from making the error. That is of course if you have time and want to.

Oh, yeah.
I still do and I'm a native speaker!

(Joke.)

Haha I do with spelling, especially of the word experience I ALWAYS want to put an <i> with or instead of the bold <e>, because of the way it sounds.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 07 Jul 2009 8:44 am

Sean of the Dead wrote:
Talib wrote:
@Sean of the Dead: I thought you were a boy lol, it's cool to know that we have a female Omnigloter, I know we had some in the past but I believe you are currently the only one.

Hehe, you are correct Talib. ;)
If you're looking for wimminz there are tons on Unilang. :D

Seán is man enough for me...

And there are tons of girls on Unilang.

So right now, I'm learning Arabic, and Seán and I are going to try Irish, after Hungarian scared us off. I have a nice long wish list that changes daily, all I know is that tomorrow I'm hoping to put in an hour of study into MSA and Irish.

I've also been thinking a lot about dialects. At first I planned to study Gulf Arabic, because I have an aunt and a bunch of cousins that are from Dubai, so that's the dialect they speak. However, I'm also kind of falling in love with Levantine Arabic, it sounds so pretty.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning