What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Dillon D » Wed 13 Jan 2010 6:45 am

Talib wrote: reputation as a difficult language (which I think is mainly due to its fusional grammar) is undeserved. People who say that should try Classical Chinese or Classical Arabic, then get back to me.

Very much agreed, German is just as easy as any other romance language.
My languages:

Native: English
Semi-fluent: Español
Learning: русский язык, Gaeilge
Learning bit by bit: Deutsch
Dabblings: Français, Italiano, Esperanto
Interests: العربية, עברית, Brezhoneg, Cymraeg
Dillon D

Postby formiko » Wed 13 Jan 2010 10:18 am

linguoboy wrote:If it makes you feel any better, Formiko, it's not just gender and adjective endings that are your bugaboo in German. You also have a fair bit of trouble with syntax, which is equally unintuitive to English-speakers in many respects. There is no easy way to fix this; you simply need more practice in order to internalise the rules.

Actually, it's not the understanding of these forms. It's the creation of these forms. But thanks for reminding me of how good I'm doing :roll: :x
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Talib » Wed 13 Jan 2010 7:28 pm

Dillon D wrote:Very much agreed, German is just as easy as any other romance language.
I hope you weren't implying German is a Romance language (!).

I'd say it's both easier and harder in different ways. Verb conjugation aside, Spanish grammar comes a lot more intuitively to me than that of German. But German had the advantage of a lot of its vocabulary being cognate with English, which really helps me figure out what something says.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Wed 13 Jan 2010 7:44 pm

formiko wrote:Actually, it's not the understanding of these forms. It's the creation of these forms. But thanks for reminding me of how good I'm doing :roll: :x

Nichts zu danken! Positiv zu vermerken ist, dass es schon einige Zeit vergangen ist, seitdem du etwas geschrieben hast, das ich mir überhaupt nicht zusammenreimen konnte. Das ist schon was!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Delodephius » Wed 13 Jan 2010 8:34 pm

Talib wrote:
Dillon D wrote:Very much agreed, German is just as easy as any other romance language.

Now why you people always ask something like this I'll never understand. Of course he didn't mean that German is a Romance language. He's obviously not an ignorant person.

Sobekhotep once taught me the word subaudition which means "the act or process of understanding or mentally filling in a word or thought implied but not expressed". But now I realized it doesn't actually translate completely my native Slovak word domyslieť si which also incorporates the above definition but also the ability to ignore the possibility or implication of what you might think is an error in something some person said, but ignoring your a priori knowledge of the person's intelligence. I think this is pointing out the banal mistake, or something like that. I think to figure out would serve as a better translation, maybe there is something better.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Dillon D » Wed 13 Jan 2010 9:05 pm

Talib wrote:

I'd say it's both easier and harder in different ways. Verb conjugation aside, Spanish grammar comes a lot more intuitively to me than that of German. But German had the advantage of a lot of its vocabulary being cognate with English, which really helps me figure out what something says.

Not quite sure why the word other was in there. But there are many people who believe German and even RUSSIAN to be romance languages! All are part of the Indo-European family, but that's about it!
My languages:

Native: English
Semi-fluent: Español
Learning: русский язык, Gaeilge
Learning bit by bit: Deutsch
Dabblings: Français, Italiano, Esperanto
Interests: العربية, עברית, Brezhoneg, Cymraeg
Dillon D

Postby Delodephius » Wed 13 Jan 2010 9:14 pm

Haha. Now don't I feel stupid. :oops:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Talib » Wed 13 Jan 2010 10:55 pm

Nothing was implied - it was in jest. But I have heard people seriously say that English is descended from French and/or Latin, so beware.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Anders » Wed 13 Jan 2010 11:26 pm

Talib wrote:Italian, an overrated language

No, Italian is the sexiest lang there is!!
Anders

Postby linguoboy » Wed 13 Jan 2010 11:34 pm

Anders wrote:No, Italian is the sexiest lang there is!!

Any language can be sexy in the right mouth. Italian just sounds to me like Spanish with more arm-waving.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning