Lithuanian resources?

The place to discuss learning languages

Lithuanian resources?

Postby Weshimulo » Tue 13 Oct 2009 5:30 pm

I was sure there was already a thread on this, but I've looked and looked and can't find one.

I was wondering, what packages do people recommend for learning Lithuanian? I've looked into both Teach Yourself Lithuanian and Colloquial Lithuanian and read users' reviews on Amazon, but there doesn't seem much to separate them. Some people have said that neither have a lot in the way of grammar and concentrate on vocab, etc. whereäs something like "Beginner's Lithuanian" seems to be heavy on the grammar and neglect the vocabulary.

Does anyone on the forum have experience of one or more of the above publications? What would you recommend?
Dosta jib moli yek jib.
epo - basic
rus - more basic
Learning or planning to learn - jpn, hun, ron, cym, isl, fas, ita, ces, pol, nor, swe, dan, lit, lat, est
Weshimulo

Re: Lithuanian resources?

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 14 Oct 2009 3:03 am

Pimsleur has a Lithuanian course. You might want to try that. I'd recommend doing just the first course & after that teaching yourself by learning sentences & phrases.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Weshimulo » Thu 15 Oct 2009 11:38 am

Thanks, Sobekhotep.

I've looked into Pimsleur on your recommendation, but it's a little out of my price range, unfortunately. What would be, in your opinion, the next best?
Dosta jib moli yek jib.
epo - basic
rus - more basic
Learning or planning to learn - jpn, hun, ron, cym, isl, fas, ita, ces, pol, nor, swe, dan, lit, lat, est
Weshimulo

Postby Sobekhotep » Fri 16 Oct 2009 2:36 am

Weshimulo wrote:Thanks, Sobekhotep.

I've looked into Pimsleur on your recommendation, but it's a little out of my price range, unfortunately. What would be, in your opinion, the next best?

Do they have it at any local libraries? If not, you could try downloading it from the web if that's something your ok with. :) But you might not be able to find it anyway.
When it comes to language software, Michel Thomas & Assimil are the best, according to testimony I've read from fellow language-learners. Michel Thomas currently does not have a Lithuanian course. Assimil does but only in French. Asside from Michel Thomas & Assimil, Pimsleur is the best. I couldn't really tell you about other programs.
Maybe try the one that's the most affordable.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Weshimulo » Tue 10 Nov 2009 6:29 pm

I ended up going with Teach Yourself Lithuanian, partly because it was the easiest to get hold of. That said, it seems to be more than adequate to give me a grounding in the basics.
Dosta jib moli yek jib.
epo - basic
rus - more basic
Weshimulo

Return to Language learning