The Bible

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: The Bible

Postby falasha » Sat 03 Jul 2010 5:26 pm

Formiko,

Do you think 'Euanggelion' is a direct translation from Aramaic and conveys an Aramaic idea? Do you think Euanggelion is an idea that Jesus would espouse being a man of peace?
falasha

Postby falasha » Sat 03 Jul 2010 7:02 pm

dtp883 wrote:
falasha wrote:
Delodephius wrote: 1) the word Logos does not stand for the Aramaic word 'word' but for something completely different but translatable as Logos.

If you were to translate 'logos' into Aramaic, do you know what that word would be? Something like Davar or DBR?

I doubt it, since, as Delodephius explained, in Greek philosophy the idea of logos developed way beyond the idea of 'word' and it was most likely an idea that could be translated as logos.

May I ask, lightheartedly, why you are obsessed with the semitic verb root D-B-R?

May I give a lighthearted response?

Greek speakers, thinking that their culture was so far above the primitive Israelites, decided to tell them what God MEANT to say.
falasha

Postby Delodephius » Sat 03 Jul 2010 11:22 pm

Greek speakers, thinking that their culture was so far above the primitive Israelites, decided to tell them what God MEANT to say.

Advanced civilizations usually teach the more primitive ones. But if I was a Greek at that time I wouldn't even bother with the Israelites.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby falasha » Sun 04 Jul 2010 3:38 pm

Delodephius wrote:

Advanced civilizations usually teach the more primitive ones. But if I was a Greek at that time I wouldn't even bother with the Israelites.

Except that in this case, it was the Israelites teaching Greek speakers about God.
falasha

Postby Delodephius » Sun 04 Jul 2010 4:01 pm

An inferior god. Egotistic jealous male god of the desert. The fact that Greeks listened resulted in the 2000 years of darkness in which we still live in.
Delodephius

Postby falasha » Sun 04 Jul 2010 4:18 pm

Delodephius wrote:An inferior god. Egotistic jealous male god of the desert. The fact that Greeks listened resulted in the 2000 years of darkness in which we still live in.

I agree. Although I don't think we are now living in darkness. My point is that using Greek cultural symbols to convey Semetic ideas will inevitably result in misunderstanding. Using Greek cultural symbols simply because they are deemed superior by modern standards tells us nothing about how semetic language evolved. Logos may be relevant to understanding how the Greek language evolved but that is all. If someone would like to offer information on the symbology that created the word "logos" I would love to hear it!
falasha

Postby Delodephius » Sun 04 Jul 2010 4:49 pm

The word Logos was first used in such form by Heraclitus in the 6th century BC (one of my favourite philosophers). It is said to correspond perfectly to the Zoroastrian term Asha, which is most likely from where Heraclitus learned a great deal. Greek philosophy, especially Platonism, was influenced by Zoroastrianism. Judaism was too. Some Psalms are almost Gathic in content, indicating they were composed during the exile in Mesopotamia.
Delodephius

Postby falasha » Sun 04 Jul 2010 5:28 pm

Delodephius wrote:The word Logos was first used in such form by Heraclitus in the 6th century BC (one of my favourite philosophers). It is said to correspond perfectly to the Zoroastrian term Asha, which is most likely from where Heraclitus learned a great deal. Greek philosophy, especially Platonism, was influenced by Zoroastrianism. Judaism was too. Some Psalms are almost Gathic in content, indicating they were composed during the exile in Mesopotamia.

There is a lot of Persian influence in Judaism. Also, I have read that Druze has much Avestan influence.

Logos may correspond to Asha but that does not appear to be the etymology. What is the etymology of logos? The etymology is how the cultural symbology can be determined.
falasha

Previous

Return to Language learning