As if Vietnamese orthography isn't bad enough!

Heard any good language-related jokes, stories or puns lately?

Re: As if Vietnamese orthography isn't bad enough!

Postby Neqitan » Sat 08 Aug 2009 3:32 am

Talib wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:
sokuban wrote:Imagine that. Speaking and writing in a different language.
Diglossia. This is the reality for virtually the entire Arab world.
It's not generally considered a different language. It is for speakers of Chinese varieties sometimes.

Yeah, Arabs speak some mix of both the acrolect and their own basilect, depending on how vulgar (or formal) they want to sound. Many just say their basilect is "bad Arabic" and "it has no grammar", etc. While you just saw the comments from Kaenif that reading Mandarin like Cantonese does sound weird, not just overly formal. :)
Neqitan

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 08 Aug 2009 5:41 am

Talib wrote:It's not generally considered a different language.

It certainly should be, no? How mutually intelligible is Hassānīya with MSA?

imbecilica wrote:我的生日是九月十二號

That's next month! :D
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby imbecilica » Sat 08 Aug 2009 4:19 pm

Yep, right after the 8th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Talib » Sat 08 Aug 2009 5:46 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:It certainly should be, no? How mutually intelligible is Hassānīya with MSA?
Not to derail this thread too much, but that doesn't really matter. It's about how the speakers perceive their language. Beijing dialect is probably not very intelligible with Taiwanese.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 09 Aug 2009 7:23 am

Talib wrote:Beijing dialect is probably not very intelligible with Taiwanese.

No, because Beijinghua is the basis for Standard Mandarin whereas Taiwanese is a dialect of Min Nan. Mandarin & Min Nan are separate (spoken) Chinese languages.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby imbecilica » Sun 09 Aug 2009 9:18 am

Talib wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:It certainly should be, no? How mutually intelligible is Hassānīya with MSA?
Not to derail this thread too much, but that doesn't really matter. It's about how the speakers perceive their language. Beijing dialect is probably not very intelligible with Taiwanese.

As Sobekhotep just stated, the Mandarin language and the Taiwanese dialect of the Minnanese language are 2 very different languages. They may have both derived from a common language namely Old Chinese but like Latin and its descendants, the 2 have diverged to the point that they are mutually not very intelligible. Oh, and if you are talking about the Taiwanese dialect of Mandarin, then I think a person from Beijing speaking to a Taiwanese person (and vice versa) would have little trouble understanding one another except for if the accent is very localised [eg. a Beijinger overusing 'er' and a Taiwanese mispronouncing zh ch and sh as z c and s] - my Sunday school teachers are proof.

Thank goodness for a standard written language. I've been so used to writing in standard Vietnamese that I've never thought of writing my Southern dialect as it should be. Take this example: [Northern writing is the standard]

English
The little boy climbed the tall tree but fell halfway up. He was heavily injured and had to be taken to hospital. The local government had recently decided to ban people from climbing up trees without a permit (lol), therefore, the little boy had to pay a fine. However, he could not understand English and began to cry. His eldest sister came to find him sobbing quietly in the corner whilst eating pork and watermelon seeds. She could not take the pain and decided to kill her brother and commit suicide. (lol, me and my bizarre stories!)

Northern dialect
Một đứa con trai nhỏ bé đang leo cây nữa chừng bị ngã. Nó bị thương nặng và cần phải được chở vào bệnh viện. Chính phủ nội địa mới quyết định cắm bắt cứ ai không được leo cây khi không mang theo giấy phép, sở dĩ, đứa con trai nhỏ bé bị phạt tiền. Tuy nhiên, nó không hiểu tiếng Anh gì cả và bắt đầu khóc. Chị cả của nó lại kím nó khóc lóc ở gốc phòng cùng một lúc nó đang ăn thịt lợn và hạt dưa. Chị ấy không thể nào chịu đựng sự đau khổ và đã quyết định giết em trai rồi lại tự tử.

Southern dialect (using standard writing)
Một đứa con trai nhỏ bé đang leo cây nữa chừng bị té. Nó bị thương nặng và cần phải được chở vô bệnh viện. Chánh phủ nội địa mới quyết định cắm bắt cứ ai không được leo cây khi không mang theo giấy phép, sở dĩ, đứa con trai nhỏ bé bị phạt tiền. Tuy nhiên, nó không hiểu tiếng Anh gì cả và bắt đầu khóc. Chị hai của nó lại kím nó khóc lóc ở gốc phòng cùng một lúc nó đang ăn thịt heo và hột dưa. Chỉ không thể nào chịu đựng sự đau khổ và đã quyết định giết em trai rồi lại tự tử.

Southern (what it actually sounds like)
Mộoc đứa coong trai nhỏ bé đang leo cây nửa chừng bị té. Nó bị thương nặng dà cầng phải được chở dô bịnh việng. Chánh phủ nội địa mới quyếc định cắm bắc cứ ai không được leo cây khi không mang theo dấy phép, sở dỉ, đứa coong trai nhỏ bé bị phạc tiềng. Tuy nhiêng, nó không hiểu tiếng Ăn dì cả dà bắc đầu khóc. Chị hai của nó lại kiếm nó khóc lóc ở gốc phòng cùng mộoc lúc nó đang ăng thịt heo dà hộoc dưa. Chỉ không thể nào chiệu đựng sự đao khổ dà đã quyếc định diếc em trai rồi lại tự tử.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby guocuozuoduo » Thu 26 Apr 2012 8:48 am

imbecilica wrote:You know what I mean! :mrgreen: If you know a Vietnamese friend, check out their name. Some of the most hilarious names and words I've come across are:

Phúc Kiến sounds like F*cking but means Hokkien (Fujian).
Phục Dụ sounds like F*ck you but means Service.
Mỹ Quốc in northern dialect sounds like My cock. :twisted:

Check out these hilarious names:

Phúc or Phước Kiệt sounds like F*ck it.
Phúc or Phước Mỹ sounds like F*ck me.
Phúc or Phước Du sounds like F*ck you.
Mai Hồ sounds like My ho.

Then there are countless other examples.

always thought that "service" meant "phục vụ"
and no, the "u" sounds like a real "U~OO~"
guocuozuoduo

Postby Tikolm » Sat 16 Jun 2012 8:38 pm

telal wrote:This thread is a waste of KBs.

Whatever those are, I agree. "Bad" words can just vios zo takrielel-mi (roughly, go to hell) as far as I'm concerned. They're pretty much pointless. So some Vietnamese names sound like "bad" words. Tant pis.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Mon 09 Jul 2012 10:57 pm

Tikolm wrote:
telal wrote:This thread is a waste of KBs.

Whatever those are, I agree. "Bad" words can just vios zo takrielel-mi (roughly, go to hell) as far as I'm concerned. They're pretty much pointless. So some Vietnamese names sound like "bad" words. Tant pis.

Yuka xobok, everyone, I didn't realize this thread was seven pages long and full of healthy discussion. Ro vio sic. Myaw mikyo.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby HoainamVN » Mon 01 Jul 2013 12:35 am

Why Vietnamese? This happens in all languages, I guess...
I always used to think "bánh mì" was pretty funny :D
HoainamVN

Previous

Return to Language-related humour