Ancient Chinese Inscription

If you would like names, words or short phrases transliterated or translated, this is the place to make your requests.

Ancient Chinese Inscription

Postby Psychobabble6 » Wed 21 Dec 2011 9:43 pm

Hi, I'm new here so bear with me if I'm doing this wrong.

I have a knife that's been in the family for a really long time. It's a Chinese knife and it's...old. Either Shang Dynasty or Zhou. Unless it's a replica.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the knife.

Back

I'm given to understand that subtle differences in the characters make a big difference, things my untrained eye wouldn't be able to detect in that trace I made. If it's not clear enough, I can try to get a better picture of the inscription itself. Someone suggested a charcoal rub or something, but I don't have the tools for that.

If anyone knows what it said, I would be so grateful. Thank you for your time and help!
Psychobabble6

Re: Ancient Chinese Inscription

Postby linguoboy » Wed 21 Dec 2011 10:04 pm

It looks like a studio name, but it would be easier to read if it weren't upside down.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Psychobabble6 » Thu 22 Dec 2011 5:19 am

It's upside down? Well that's embarrassing.

Postby linguoboy » Thu 29 Dec 2011 7:03 pm

I was kind of hoping you'd invert the photograph rather than the handdrawn image. The first two characters on it are too distorted for me to identify but the last two are 友庫 "right [hand] storehouse".

There's no way you could take a rubbing of the handle and post that, is there?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby kaenif » Fri 30 Dec 2011 5:00 pm

I do think the last two characters are 左庫 "left storehouse" instead, as I have searched for a while and came across this ancient "鏚" which had the identical inscription, and there are actually a couple of weapons with the same inscription (which also suggest that the characters may be 左軍 "left army" instead).
As for the first two characters, I can see a 方-like part at the bottom of the first. (Compare this seal script "方")
And also a 卂-like part at the left of the second character. (Compare right part of 訊 here) but that's about all I can make out from that. Of course a lot of possibilities exist as Chinese characters have lots of variations especially in the earlier forms, and different characters can look very alike.
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Return to Translation requests