old english phrases

If you've spotted anything on Omniglot that needs correcting, or have any suggestions for new material or how the site could be improved, this is the place to discuss them.

old english phrases

Postby vincan » Sat 19 Mar 2011 8:39 am

eala = hello (e and a with acute accent)
pes vu hal = goodbye (sing) (u and a with acute accent)
pesf va ye hale Goodbye (pl) (a and e acute accent)
hu gaeth thit mid pe = how are you? (sing)(e,a and u acute accents)
hu gaeth thit mid eop = how are you?(pl)(e and u acute accents)
gaeth hit god mid me = I am fine (ae,o and e acute accents)
ich thacie they = thank you (sing)
ich thacie eop = thank you (pl)
ich bidde thay = please (sing)
ich bidde eop = please (pl)
hu hatst thu? = what are you called? (sing)( u and a acute accents)
hu hatath the = what are you called (pl)(e,u and first a acute accents)
ich hate = I am called... (a acute accent)
Pronuncation warnings
ich: as in the english word itch never in German ich!
For a clearer guide to pronuncation visit: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/old-e ... 2837398294
vincan

Re: old english phrases

Postby linguoboy » Mon 21 Mar 2011 9:39 pm

Is this supposed to be some kind of Old English-based conlang?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby vincan » Sat 26 Mar 2011 3:23 pm

no it isnt

Latin didnt actually influence our language at all. It was the spanish,old german,hebrew and irish that did. old english is middle english without the spanish and hebrew influence hence the word "ich" was the same in old german as well as english at that time.
vincan

Postby dtp883 » Mon 28 Mar 2011 12:59 am

Latin didnt actually influence our language at all. It was the spanish,old german,hebrew and irish that did. old english is middle english without the spanish and hebrew influence hence the word "ich" was the same in old german as well as english at that time.

How exactly did the Spanish or Hebrews exert influence upon the speakers of Old English? Unless you were thinking of Old French (from Normandy) instead of Spanish, both being pretty direct descendants of Latin.

Old English and Old German were both West Germanic and at the time of being "Old" were barely separate from each other. Words like "I" are very slow changing; ich being the same word both inherited from West Germanic. Old German didn't influence Old English as much as be it's sibling. Old Norse, however, is a different story.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby linguoboy » Mon 28 Mar 2011 1:18 pm

vincan wrote:no it isnt

Neither is it orthodox Old English. For starters, you've managed to confuse both the letter þ and the letter ƿ with the letter p. The former, known as "thorn", represented /θ/ while the latter was called "wynn" and had the value of /w/. So what you have written pe (and also "thay") is actually þē, the direct ancestor of thee. And your eop should be ēow, which in turn is the ancestor of you.

There are plenty more errors than just those. Perhaps you would've been better off linking to the page where you found these phrases rather than attempting to transcribe them.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby vincan » Mon 28 Mar 2011 6:10 pm

"you've managed to confuse both the letter þ and the letter ƿ with the letter p. The former, known as "thorn", represented /θ/ while the latter was called "wynn" and had the value of /w/. So what you have written pe (and also "thay") is actually þē, the direct ancestor of thee. And your eop should be ēow, which in turn is the ancestor of you."

I thought you would say that. On my keybord I don't have those accents so I couldn't put them on the screen and also olde english didnt have a written form of alphabet until the 9th century. And they are still some languages with no written form.
vincan

Postby linguoboy » Mon 28 Mar 2011 6:42 pm

vincan wrote:I thought you would say that. On my keybord I don't have those accents so I couldn't put them on the screen

The accents are an optional convention. But substituting thorn and wynn with p is simply wrong, no matter what sort of keyboard you have. (Moreover, you don't need a special keyboard to type non-ASCII characters. I just copied-and-pasted them from the Character Map.)

vincan wrote:and also olde english didnt have a written form of alphabet until the 9th century.

Relevance? You're not writing pre-9th century Old English, are you?

vincan wrote:And they are still some languages with no written form.

And you know what else? There are still some languages with no word for "hotdog". Isn't that crazy?
linguoboy

Return to Corrections and suggestions