Transliterations of Hindi and related languages

If you've spotted anything on Omniglot that needs correcting, or have any suggestions for new material or how the site could be improved, this is the place to discuss them.
DanielParker

Transliterations of Hindi and related languages

Postby DanielParker » Tue 05 Jan 2016 12:05 pm

Hi all,

I've noticed that the transliteration of the tower of Babel in Hindi does not account for schwa-deletion at the ends of words. Is there a reason for this? Is this something that should be corrected?

I ask because I'm currently transliterating the Awadhi version. Awadhi is very closely related to Hindi but I'm unable to gauge whether or not schwas are deleted. I'm wondering whether to try to account for that or leave it with schwas. Ideas?
Thanks!
"Si Lodhuuigs sagrament que son fradre Karlo jurat conservat et Karlus, meos sendra, de suo part lo fraint, si io returnar non l'int pois, ne io ne neuls cui eo returnar int pois, in nulla aiudha contra Lodhuuuig nun li iu er."

Saimundo

Re: Transliterations of Hindi and related languages

Postby Saimundo » Tue 26 Jan 2016 9:11 pm

The Hindi transliteration needs correction. I don't know where schwa-deletion occurs. Can you help with this?
one language is never enough / 一種語言永遠不夠 / dydy un iaith byth yn ddigon

DanielParker

Re: Transliterations of Hindi and related languages

Postby DanielParker » Thu 28 Jan 2016 3:36 am

I know schwa deletion occurs at the end of a word. Beyond that I'm not much help :(

I've tried to look up Awadhi phonology online to see if this phenomenon occurs in that language also. No luck - you're lucky if you find anything substantial at all on Awadhi.
"Si Lodhuuigs sagrament que son fradre Karlo jurat conservat et Karlus, meos sendra, de suo part lo fraint, si io returnar non l'int pois, ne io ne neuls cui eo returnar int pois, in nulla aiudha contra Lodhuuuig nun li iu er."

Return to “Corrections and suggestions”