Catalan - Català

The place to discuss endangered languages, and efforts being made to revive them.

Re: Catalan - Català

Postby Azura » Fri 25 Dec 2009 7:15 pm

Se Canta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BSbTf_W ... re=related
Occitan Song..can catalans understand it.
Azura

Postby linguoboy » Wed 30 Dec 2009 6:08 pm

formiko wrote:La majoria de persones parlen català a Barcelona, no?

La majoria el sap parlar, però no sé si el sol parlar en vista de que almenys la meitat no són catalanoparlants de naixement.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby kiwehtin » Wed 30 Dec 2009 7:33 pm

Kind of sad how the accent of the young man speaking in the beginning shows how much the "standard" northern French has marginalised the indigenous Occitan accents in French: his pronunciation in Occitan shows that standard Northern French is very much his first language and the phonology of Occitan is something he has not managed to master.

Much of Se Canta is probably understandable to Catalan speakers, especially those who speak or are familiar with the varieties of Catalan pronunciations, including Valencian varieties of Catalan and the North Catalan pronunciations of Rosselló/Roussillon. I'd be interested to see if some bits of vocabulary might be opaque to Catalan speakers, for example "m'empachan" (they prevent me) or the archaic "mia".
kiwehtin

Postby Azura » Sun 03 Jan 2010 7:21 am

kiwehtin wrote:Kind of sad how the accent of the young man speaking in the beginning shows how much the "standard" northern French has marginalised the indigenous Occitan accents in French: his pronunciation in Occitan shows that standard Northern French is very much his first language and the phonology of Occitan is something he has not managed to master.

Much of Se Canta is probably understandable to Catalan speakers, especially those who speak or are familiar with the varieties of Catalan pronunciations, including Valencian varieties of Catalan and the North Catalan pronunciations of Rosselló/Roussillon. I'd be interested to see if some bits of vocabulary might be opaque to Catalan speakers, for example "m'empachan" (they prevent me) or the archaic "mia".

Gascon reminds me of Castillian because of the basque influence,Medieval Occitan has more prestige than Medieval Castillian but only it's descendant,Catalan remained prestigious compared to it's sister idioms Valencian,Gascon,Limousin,Languedoc and Provençal.

Another version of Se Canta-Aquieras Montanhas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYMEirfg8N4
Azura

Postby Remd » Tue 05 Jan 2010 4:06 pm

I cound't hear the video because I'm not at home but I'll hear it afterwards.

El català l'entén gairebé tothom a Barcelona, però no el parla tanta gent. No obstant això, és possible utilitzar-lo en la comunicació diària de forma quasi exclusiva, encara que la majoria el barreja amb el castellà. De fet, jo crec que el bilingüisme és molt positiu.
Remd

Previous

Return to Endangered languages and language revival