Baltic languages, Baltiskās valodas

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Baltic languages, Baltiskās valodas

Postby Aigars » Fri 07 Aug 2009 2:40 pm

Šeit ir vieta diskutēt baltiskās valodas.

Here's room for discussing Baltic languages. :)

Are any of you acqainted with one Baltic language or more?
Aigars

Re: Baltic languages, Baltiskās valodas

Postby linguoboy » Fri 07 Aug 2009 2:57 pm

My ex-boyfriend spoke Latvian, but I never learned more than a few words. One of these was "vecmamas šķiņķis", which was the name he came up with for a preparation of ham he learned from his mother-in-law. Something tells me šķiņķis must figure in a number of Latvian tongue-twisters. It sure makes a good shibboleth!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Aigars » Fri 07 Aug 2009 4:09 pm

Haha.. Yes.. Grandmother's ham..
What is a shibboleth? :)
Aigars

Postby linguoboy » Fri 07 Aug 2009 4:13 pm

english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Aigars » Fri 07 Aug 2009 4:16 pm

Ah yes of course.. Where are you from? And how did you meet with a Latvian?
Aigars

Postby linguoboy » Fri 07 Aug 2009 5:05 pm

Aigars wrote:Ah yes of course.. Where are you from?
My father's from Baltimore and my mother's family is from St Louis. I live in Chicago now.

Aigars wrote:And how did you meet with a Latvian?

He wasn't Latvian, he just spoke the language. I've known several Lithuanians, but I've never had any Latvian friends.
linguoboy

Postby Aigars » Fri 07 Aug 2009 5:43 pm

Okay.. Do you speak all those languages you're mentioning in your signature..?
Aigars

Postby linguoboy » Fri 07 Aug 2009 6:14 pm

Aigars wrote:Okay.. Do you speak all those languages you're mentioning in your signature..?

With widely varying degrees of competency, yes. They're basically the languages in which I will attempt a response if you write to me in them.

But this is taking us afield from the subject of the thread. My Latvian-speaking friend had the pet theory that the Latvians were descended from Finnic peoples who adopted a Baltic language, which explains why the pronunciation and morphology is so much simpler when compared to Lithuanian (which, he joked, sounded like "Old High Latvian" to Latvians).
linguoboy

Postby Aigars » Fri 07 Aug 2009 6:31 pm

:) .. I've never examined Finnish any closer so I couldn't tell.. But I see though many small similarities between Latvian and German.. It is also said by some that the Latvian language is invented by German monks some hundreds of years ago.. There is a certain amount of truth in that theory, however there are many similarities between Baltic languages and sanskrit, or even the assumed proto-indoeuropean language..
Aigars

Postby linguoboy » Fri 07 Aug 2009 7:06 pm

Aigars wrote::) .. I've never examined Finnish any closer so I couldn't tell.

Not Finnish, Finnic. Liv and Estonian are both Finnic languages, and presumably very close to whatever other ones were once spoken in the present territory of Latvian.

But I see though many small similarities between Latvian and German.

Eight hundred years of contact will do that to a language.

It is also said by some that the Latvian language is invented by German monks some hundreds of years ago.. There is a certain amount of truth in that theory

No there isn't; it's pure malarkey. What authority insists otherwise?

however there are many similarities between Baltic languages and sanskrit, or even the assumed proto-indoeuropean language..

For the good reason that the Proto-Indo-European language was reconstructed on the basis of both Sanskrit and the Baltic languages.
linguoboy

Next

Return to Languages other than English