What do I do?

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

What do I do?

Postby Tikolm » Wed 15 Aug 2012 2:55 am

(This is a "language learning" type thread, so maybe it shouldn't be here -- this thread is, though, so I don't know.)
Sooner or later I should probably learn to speak something other than English and French, so I might end up learning another language sometime. For a while now, I've been "fiddling" with Welsh (that's really the only thing I can call it) and I've picked up enough to, as I say, confuse everyone who doesn't know it and offend everyone who does. I can't speak it as yet, but I can write in it to a really limited extent about really limited topics (those would be: cats on doors; dogs under cars; bread in the shop; useless stuff like that.). So anyway, I'm pretty confused as to what I actually want to do. Sometimes I think I want to learn Welsh for real, but then the rest of the time I think I don't. Sometimes I also consider learning a different language from Welsh or trying to speak Spanish again. If anyone has any advice, even just to put a lid on it, I'd like to hear it.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Re: What do I do?

Postby linguoboy » Wed 15 Aug 2012 3:21 am

If you're enjoying Welsh right now, then run with it. None of that effort is wasted: if later you decide you want to pursue it more seriously, then you'll have a basis. If you decide you want to learn something else, then the knowledge you've gained (both about how you learn languages and about how languages work in general) will be applicable to that. (Believe it or not, there are a lot of syntactic similarities between Welsh and Arabic!)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Re: What do I do?

Postby Tikolm » Wed 15 Aug 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks for your reply.

linguoboy wrote:If you're enjoying Welsh right now, then run with it. None of that effort is wasted:

What about "mae'r ddôr yn cysgu ar y gwningen"?
if later you decide you want to pursue it more seriously, then you'll have a basis. If you decide you want to learn something else, then the knowledge you've gained (both about how you learn languages and about how languages work in general) will be applicable to that. (Believe it or not, there are a lot of syntactic similarities between Welsh and Arabic!)

That's interesting about the syntactic similarities.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Return to Languages other than English