Talk in a language you don't know

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby linguoboy » Mon 20 Aug 2012 3:54 pm

Tikolm wrote:I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. My point was that this thread wasn't intended as a venue for you to give me Welsh lessons and that you seem to think it was. Should I just have gone along with your ideas? When I look back on it, it might have been all right if I'd just done the "homework". But then maybe it's too late now because I've blown up at everyone who was bothering to listen.

I think most people still in the forum have learned by now not to take your occasional blow-ups too seriously. I know I have.

Tikolm wrote:Welsh lessons aside, the main problem is that this thread turned into a Linguoboy-versus-Tikolm thing and that didn't seem right. I wanted this to be for everybody.

A couple things:

1. I think this thread is for everybody. Between then, gnunix and Elijah have posted a half-dozen times. That shouldn't be ignored given how low participation in these forums is in general.

2. It's very telling that you characterise me helping you to learn a language as "Linguoboy-versus-Tikolm". You seem to view interactions through a very adversarial filter and I'm not sure what can be done to change that.

3. It's important to understand that no one here is trying to humiliate your or set you up for failure. But if you're not realistic about what your capabilities are and where you can improve, you'll never make any progress--not just in learning Welsh, but in anything.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Tue 21 Aug 2012 5:29 pm

linguoboy wrote:I think most people still in the forum have learned by now not to take your occasional blow-ups too seriously. I know I have.

Maybe so, but the blow-ups that actually scare people off are yours. You obviously would never consider such a thing, though, so you don't have to respond to this statement.
A couple things:

1. I think this thread is for everybody. Between then, gnunix and Elijah have posted a half-dozen times. That shouldn't be ignored given how low participation in these forums is in general.

True. However, there was a lot of just you and me, and I didn't like that.
2. It's very telling that you characterise me helping you to learn a language as "Linguoboy-versus-Tikolm". You seem to view interactions through a very adversarial filter and I'm not sure what can be done to change that.

Okay, whatever. That's just how I happened to put it. If I saw this as adversarial, it was because, rightly or not, I felt like you were just out to correct me. I realize now that you were well-intentioned, but unfortunately my initial responses were ignorant of that.
3. It's important to understand that no one here is trying to humiliate your or set you up for failure.

I know. It's just the truth of the matter that I felt bad and complained about it. This was obviously not your intention.
But if you're not realistic about what your capabilities are and where you can improve, you'll never make any progress--not just in learning Welsh, but in anything.

I know that too. That's why I at least try to be realistic about my capabilities.

Now, can we get this over with? I'd like you, or somebody, to correct a sentence or two for me:
1) Mae'r gath yn llyfiad clust tad.
2) Mae dad wedi cysgu ar y gwely, a' mae mam yn cysgu ar y gwely 'ma.
I've been thinking about possible amendments to "Ble mae'r gath?", so there will be a lot of sentences to check over if all goes as intended. I'm also going to try to talk myself into taking the Catchphrase course (or something along those lines). Why do I need to talk myself into it, you ask? It's a long story, and any attempt to explain it here would probably be unsatisfactory.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Tue 21 Aug 2012 5:59 pm

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I think most people still in the forum have learned by now not to take your occasional blow-ups too seriously. I know I have.

Maybe so, but the blow-ups that actually scare people off are yours. You obviously would never consider such a thing, though, so you don't have to respond to this statement.

I'm not sure why you post passive-aggressive statements like this if your goal is to end the metadiscussion and move on.

Tikolm wrote:I'd like you, or somebody, to correct a sentence or two for me:
1) Mae'r gath yn llyfiad clust tad.

Da iawn.

Tikolm wrote:2) Mae tad wedi cysgu ar y gwely, a' mae mam yn cysgu ar y gwely 'ma.

I think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of 'ma. Is that last sentence supposed to say "Mother is sleeping on this bed" or "Mother is sleeping on the bed now"?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Tue 21 Aug 2012 7:45 pm

linguoboy wrote:I'm not sure why you post passive-aggressive statements like this if your goal is to end the metadiscussion and move on.

Never mind then.
Da iawn.

Diolch.
Tikolm wrote:2) Mae tad wedi cysgu ar y gwely, a' mae mam yn cysgu ar y gwely 'ma.

I think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of 'ma. Is that last sentence supposed to say "Mother is sleeping on this bed" or "Mother is sleeping on the bed now"?

The latter. What should I say instead then? I thought 'ma was a contraction of yma "now". Isn't it?
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Tue 21 Aug 2012 9:14 pm

Tikolm wrote:The latter. What should I say instead then? I thought 'ma was a contraction of yma "now". Isn't it?

Yma doesn't mean "now", it means "here". "Now" is 'nawr (< yn awr) or rŵan, depending on dialect.
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Tue 21 Aug 2012 9:37 pm

linguoboy wrote:Yma doesn't mean "now", it means "here". "Now" is 'nawr (< yn awr) or rŵan, depending on dialect.

Oh, whoops. Sorry about that. Thanks. I'll have to figure out which dialect I tend to use and then get back to you with the fixed sentence.
Tikolm

Postby vegandiste » Wed 22 Aug 2012 8:15 pm

Hi there, I don't speak German, so here goes:

"Vom Himmel hoch da komm die Engel hier."

Translation: From heaven high comes the angel here.

Hi Tikolm :D You've got lots of cool ideas. Ciao!
vegandiste

Postby linguoboy » Wed 22 Aug 2012 9:13 pm

vegandiste wrote:Hi there, I don't speak German, so here goes:

"Vom Himmel hoch da komm die Engel hier."

1. Engel is masculine and invariable for number. So der Engel is "the angel", but die Engel is "the angels".
2. Komm is the imperative (2S). For present tense, you need to add either -t (3S) or -en (3P).

I know Tikolm gets annoyed if I only correct and don't participate myself, so to show good faith here's an attempt to render the same sentence in Breton:

Eus an neñv uhel deu ar ael amañ.
linguoboy

Postby Elijah » Thu 30 Aug 2012 2:51 pm

@ gnunix:
Thanks! I'm still learning... I guess I'm still putting some English grammatical structures into the Japanese sentence.
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Postby gnunix » Fri 31 Aug 2012 5:05 pm

大丈夫、頑張ったら、早く上手になるだろう。私も沢山勉強しなくちゃ。
「たった」についてもう一度調べて、「胃たった」は違うと思う。たったは辞書の例文にいつも言葉の前にある。例えば、「たった一人」は日本語で「alone」という意味だろう。でも、「たった」は一度しか見なかったから、何か珍しい言葉だと思う。「だけ」や「しか」を使った方がいいと思ってる。とにかく私は違うこともあり得る。

That's fine. If you keep at it, you'll get better soon. I also have to study much more.
I researched たった once more and it seems you can't use it like in 胃たった. In my dictionary it's always used in front of worlds. For exapmle alone is たった一人 in japanese. But I have seen たった just once in a real Japanese text, so I think it's kinda rare. I think it would be better to stick to だけ or しか. However I could also be wrong.

それから、時々韓国語でポストしたいけど、来週から一ヶ月に日本にいるから、ドイツに帰国した後で韓国語でポスとしてみよう。韓国語を話せる人がここにいる?私の文を直していただければ、嬉しいだろう。
From now on, I want to post in Korean from time to time, but because I'm in Japan for 1 Month starting next week, I will try to post in Korean when I'm back home in Germany. Is someone here who can speak Korean? I would be really glad, if someone corrected my sentences.
Native: Deutsch
Reasonably fluent: English
Intermediate: 日本語
Studying: 한국어, Fering, русский
Interested in: བོད་སྐད, संस्कृत, tiếng Việt, Suomi, العربية ,עברית and a lot more...
gnunix

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English