Talk in a language you don't know

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Tue 14 Aug 2012 11:50 pm

linguoboy wrote:Y yo estoy muy seguro de que tú te has equivocado.

Lo siento, pero voy a hablar inglés aquí. (How do you say "Welsh" in Spanish, anyway? I should find out sometime.)
I guess you're right this time. It's eminently possible I misspelled what I heard, but that's definitely what it sounded like to me on the video. But in any case, I'm really neither right nor wrong, because it wasn't all my mistake.
On a different subject, Dad (the dad in "Ble mae'r gath?") seems to be tired out and hence taking a nap on the cat's bed (mae dad yn cysgu ar y gwely) because he spent a lot of time trying to get the dog out from under the car and the dog wouldn't come out (mae'r ci'n cysgu dan y car). And before that, dad was trying to fix the door that was lying on its side (mae'r ddôr yn gorwedd ar ei hochr), but that didn't work either because he didn't know how to put doors back on their hinges. The cat thought the door was interesting because dad had been working on it, and the bed wasn't warm anyway (dydy'r gwely ddim yn gynnes, I think) so the cat slept on the door (mae'r gath yn cysgu ar y ddôr). I think dad may also have been looking for the children because they ended up on the other side of the sea (mae'r plant tros y môr). And if anyone's wondering, mae mam yn y tŷ. Also, the bread is free, but unfortunately I don't remember how to say that. Will have to check back in the book.
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby linguoboy » Wed 15 Aug 2012 2:55 am

Tikolm wrote:(How do you say "Welsh" in Spanish, anyway? I should find out sometime.)

El galés. (The name of the country is Gales, sin tilde.)

Tikolm wrote:But in any case, I'm really neither right nor wrong, because it wasn't all my mistake.

Lo que sea.

Tikolm wrote:On a different subject, Dad (the dad in "Ble mae'r gath?") seems to be tired out and hence taking a nap on the cat's bed (mae dad yn cysgu ar y gwely) because he spent a lot of time trying to get the dog out from under the car and the dog wouldn't come out (mae'r ci'n cysgu dan y car). And before that, dad was trying to fix the door that was lying on its side (mae'r ddôr yn gorwedd ar ei hochr), but that didn't work either because he didn't know how to put doors back on their hinges. The cat thought the door was interesting because dad had been working on it, and the bed wasn't warm anyway (dydy'r gwely ddim yn gynnes, I think) so the cat slept on the door (mae'r gath yn cysgu ar y ddôr). I think dad may also have been looking for the children because they ended up on the other side of the sea (mae'r plant tros y môr). And if anyone's wondering, mae mam yn y tŷ. Also, the bread is free, but unfortunately I don't remember how to say that. Will have to check back in the book.

Pa lyfr yw hwnna?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Wed 15 Aug 2012 4:30 pm

linguoboy wrote:El galés. (The name of the country is Gales, sin tilde.)

Thanks (diolch, gracias).
Lo que sea.

"This I know"? Oh, whatever.
Pa lyfr yw hwnna?

For about the sixth time, dydw i ddim yn deall y frawddeg. The book is called "Welsh with ease" and it's a little booklet that's supposed to enable you to hold conversations in Welsh. (Ydw i wedi deall "llyfr".)
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Wed 15 Aug 2012 6:57 pm

Ydw i wedi deall "llyfr".

Or maybe I should have said "rydw i yn deall 'llyfr'". Edit: Just figured it out. I looked back at said llyfr and it should be "rydw i'n deall 'llyfr'". Sorry, forgot to contract "yn".
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Thu 16 Aug 2012 2:33 am

Has anyone looked at this page? It's my feeble attempt at either a Welsh or a Spanish section of my website. I'm planning on splitting it into Welsh over here and Spanish over there; that will entail some real effort, though, because so far most of what I've succeeded in doing consists of stuff like "no hablamos español aquí" or "mae'r gath yn cysgu ar y mat". Nothing to really make a website out of. I mean, if your main page is full of "ble mae'r gath? Mae'r gath yn y tŷ" and such, then nobody's going to be interested.
I think there's going to be a long period in which the Spanish page says "Lo siento, pero nosotros no hablamos español" and the Welsh page says "Ydych chi yn siarad Saesneg? Dydw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg" (respectively "Sorry, but we don't speak Spanish" and "Do you speak English? I don't speak Welsh"). Sooner or later, I'm also going to have to figure out how to translate the "Page not found!" text. The menu bar should also be in something other than English, French, Tikolmian and Leafoosish, but again, a lot of words I don't know.
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby linguoboy » Thu 16 Aug 2012 5:11 am

Tikolm wrote:For about the sixth time, dydw i ddim yn deall y frawddeg. The book is called "Welsh with ease" and it's a little booklet that's supposed to enable you to hold conversations in Welsh. (Ydw i wedi deall "llyfr".)

And yet you answered the question correctly from context anyway!

pa "which"
yw = ydy
hwnna = hwnnw "that"

Lle gest di y llyfryn 'na?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Fri 17 Aug 2012 5:35 pm

linguoboy wrote:And yet you answered the question correctly from context anyway!

I suppose so.
pa "which"
yw = ydy
hwnna = hwnnw "that"

Diolch. I'm glad you finally provided a translation.
Lle gest di y llyfryn 'na?

"Where [something] the book-[something] [something]?"
*sigh* Sorry, can't answer that -- not enough context. Yn Saesneg, plîs? Wyt ti'n deall, dydw i ddim yn deall Cymraeg? Rydw i'n dysgu, ond' dydw i ddim yn deall 'ma. Wyt ti ddim yn deall? (Yes, that's all wrong, I know.) *switches into English* I don't understand why you insist on posting in a language where I have to "go fish" for the necessary vocabulary in order to understand it. Is this a form of homework?
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby linguoboy » Fri 17 Aug 2012 6:19 pm

Tikolm wrote:
Lle gest di y llyfryn 'na?

"Where [something] the book-[something] [something]?"

di = ti = you
Gest is a form of cael "get"
'na = yna = "there"

Tikolm wrote: *switches into English* I don't understand why you insist on posting in a language where I have to "go fish" for the necessary vocabulary in order to understand it.

I don't understand how you expect to learn a language without having to do that.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby gnunix » Fri 17 Aug 2012 7:12 pm

linguoboy wrote:I don't understand how you expect to learn a language without having to do that.

多くの人は手慣らしをすることの大切さが分からない。先週は、大学で日本語のタンデムをしたけど、多くのドイツ人は英語で日本人と話した。日本人はドイツ語を習い始めたばっかなので、たいてい日本語を喋って、沢山習ったんだ。
Most people don't get the importance of practice. I had a Japanese tandem last week, but most of the Germans spoke English with the Japanese. The Japanese had just started to study German, so I spoke Japanese with them most of the time, and learned a lot.
Native: Deutsch
Reasonably fluent: English
Intermediate: 日本語
Studying: 한국어, Fering, русский
Interested in: བོད་སྐད, संस्कृत, tiếng Việt, Suomi, العربية ,עברית and a lot more...
User avatar
gnunix
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat 25 Sep 2010 8:31 am

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Sat 18 Aug 2012 4:48 pm

linguoboy wrote:I don't understand how you expect to learn a language without having to do that.

Sure, but I didn't start this thread so that someone, namely you, could give me Welsh homework. I can learn Welsh just fine without doing said "homework".
I'm out of here now. This thread was pretty pointless.
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest