Talk in a language you don't know

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby Tikolm » Tue 18 Sep 2012 9:15 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:My bad; should be "camfaethedig". (You won't find that either, but it's a perfectly legitimate word all the same.)
You were right about my not finding it, but what does it mean? ;)

The individual elements are cam, maethu, and -edig.
Good to know. I just looked those up, and I couldn't find anything conclusive for -edig but judging by the definitions of the first two you meant something along the lines of "malnourished". I beg to differ with your implications.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Tue 18 Sep 2012 9:24 pm

Tikolm wrote:Good to know. I just looked those up, and I couldn't find anything conclusive for -edig but judging by the definitions of the first two you meant something along the lines of "malnourished". I beg to differ with your implications.

Beg all you want!

I was going to ask: What do you think about relocating this exchange to the Other Forum? There may be some others there who would be interested, and we'd benefit from the input of fluent speakers like YngNghymru.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Tue 18 Sep 2012 9:51 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:Good to know. I just looked those up, and I couldn't find anything conclusive for -edig but judging by the definitions of the first two you meant something along the lines of "malnourished". I beg to differ with your implications.

Beg all you want!

I was going to ask: What do you think about relocating this exchange to the Other Forum?
You mean Unilang, I assume?
linguoboy wrote:There may be some others there who would be interested, and we'd benefit from the input of fluent speakers like YngNghymru.
That's true. Where exactly on Unilang were you thinking of moving this to? Which sub-forum, for example? I'd kind of like to know so I can be in the right place at the right time and all that. :)

Edit: Now wait a minute. YngNghymru is a member here too; are you saying that we can only benefit from his input if we move to Unilang? I don't understand.
Last edited by Tikolm on Tue 18 Sep 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Tue 18 Sep 2012 9:56 pm

Tikolm wrote:That's true. Where exactly on Unilang were you thinking of moving this to? Which sub-forum, for example? I'd kind of like to know so I can be in the right place at the right time and all that. :)

Now that there is no longer a Welsh/Cymraeg forum, the choice would have to be "Celtic Languages".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Wed 19 Sep 2012 1:21 am

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:That's true. Where exactly on Unilang were you thinking of moving this to? Which sub-forum, for example? I'd kind of like to know so I can be in the right place at the right time and all that. :)

Now that there is no longer a Welsh/Cymraeg forum, the choice would have to be "Celtic Languages".
Sounds good to me. I'll be hanging out there, I guess.

Oh, yes, and which thread would you like me to hang out on? Or didn't you have a specific thread in mind?
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Wed 19 Sep 2012 3:31 pm

Tikolm wrote:Oh, yes, and which thread would you like me to hang out on? Or didn't you have a specific thread in mind?

You can create a new personal language-learning thread, as others have done, or I can create/revive a more general-purpose one.

I dislike bailing on Omniglot like this, but the recent spam flood is making the forum pretty annoying to use anymore.
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Wed 19 Sep 2012 3:37 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:Oh, yes, and which thread would you like me to hang out on? Or didn't you have a specific thread in mind?

You can create a new personal language-learning thread, as others have done, or I can create/revive a more general-purpose one.
I was thinking we would go with the second option. Does that sound okay?

linguoboy wrote:I dislike bailing on Omniglot like this, but the recent spam flood is making the forum pretty annoying to use anymore.
I know what you mean. I'm trying to keep legitimate threads afloat, but I'm not sure I can hold back the tide for long.
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Wed 19 Sep 2012 9:58 pm

Tikolm wrote:I was thinking we would go with the second option. Does that sound okay?
Actually, I think I'd like to start my own new thread. In case linguoboy sees this post, he should know that I'm going to do just that.
Edit: Wait a minute -- I see a Welsh thread that got started today by linguoboy. Forget what I just said. I'll be over there.
Tikolm

Postby Pax » Wed 31 Oct 2012 2:45 am

¡Hola amigo! Quiero el cerveza. ¿dónde está el cerveza?

Hi friend! I want the beer. Where is the beer?

Not sure its completely right.
Fluent: None
Intermediate: None
Basic: Español, tlhIngan Hol
Pax

Postby Tikolm » Wed 31 Oct 2012 2:50 am

Pax wrote:¡Hola amigo! Quiero el cerveza. ¿Dónde está el cerveza?
Lo siento, no sé dónde está el cerveza.

(No, I don't know Spanish, so don't get any ideas please.)
Tikolm

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English