Question about Polish

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Question about Polish

Postby Rhamos Vhailejh » Sun 22 Jan 2012 4:33 pm

Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, but I wasn't really sure where else to put it.

Can somebody please tell me why the letters "ksy" are pronounced like "sky" in Polish? I just finished a rather sizable misunderstanding about a friend's last name, positive that I was pronouncing it correctly, when really I wasn't until she emphasized that it's not pronounced like it's spelled. The name in question is Yankowksy. Can anyone please tell me why (from any perspective) this is pronounced like Yankowsky? This confuses the bejesus out of me, as I can't see any practical reason for it. I don't speak *any* Polish, nor am I trying to learn it. I'm just really curious to know what's up with this one little... oddity. Thanks.
~ Rhamos Vhailejh
Antellieksijim arrvvi'keödetval kyrrhessö'ällkunnön. Tuntooi'åhešška hänessa'etevåmus. Suuluejj køramiienjim tyysyvöl'työjennön.
Projects: Old Dwojin (discontinued), Modern Duojjin, Pзhowз, Elemental, and an unnamed conlang (hiatus)
Rhamos Vhailejh

Re: Question about Polish

Postby linguoboy » Mon 23 Jan 2012 6:23 pm

Rhamos Vhailejh wrote:Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, but I wasn't really sure where else to put it.

Can somebody please tell me why the letters "ksy" are pronounced like "sky" in Polish? I just finished a rather sizable misunderstanding about a friend's last name, positive that I was pronouncing it correctly, when really I wasn't until she emphasized that it's not pronounced like it's spelled. The name in question is Yankowksy. Can anyone please tell me why (from any perspective) this is pronounced like Yankowsky? This confuses the bejesus out of me, as I can't see any practical reason for it. I don't speak *any* Polish, nor am I trying to learn it. I'm just really curious to know what's up with this one little... oddity. Thanks.

Your friend simply has an idiosyncratic Americanised way of spelling their surname. In Polish this name is spelled Jankowski. (Y is not a consonant in Polish, only a vowel.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Re: Question about Polish

Postby ssoxsse » Sun 08 Apr 2012 8:51 pm

I must be some typo, you never write kowalksi in Polish, unless you have bad typing skill.
study focus: ພາສາລາວ, 㗂越
ssoxsse

Return to Languages other than English