Koine Greek Grammar

The place to discuss extinct languages.
dtp883

Re: Koine Greek Grammar

Postby dtp883 » Tue 05 Jan 2010 1:13 am

One thing I wonder is if they teach it with Modern Hebrew pronunciation or the reconstructed ancient pronunciation (and the same for Greek).

When I was learning Ancient Hebrew, before I decided it was useless to me and switched to Modern Hebrew, I used many sources on the internet, obviously, they are not as authorative or structured as a university class would be, but they all listed pronunciation like Modern Hebrew: ayin is silent like aleph, hhet and khaf are pronounced the same, tet and tav both have the value /t/, etc.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German

Talib

Postby Talib » Tue 05 Jan 2010 2:57 am

I suppose that's the most common way of teaching but I got a grammar which explained the original phonology and also went into some depth on etymology. Very interesting.

Anyway I won't hijack this thread anymore. It's all Greek to me.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語

formiko

Postby formiko » Tue 05 Jan 2010 5:17 am

Talib wrote:I suppose that's the most common way of teaching but I got a grammar which explained the original phonology and also went into some depth on etymology. Very interesting.

Anyway I won't hijack this thread anymore. It's all Greek to me.

I've always pronounced Koine Greek like Modern Greek. I pronounce βλεπω like vlepo, NOT blepo. My seminary instructor was Greek, and he always pronounced ειναι as ene and not eynai :)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ

Stosis

Postby Stosis » Fri 22 Jan 2010 12:21 am

In my Greek class we just pronounce things how we feel. Yep, that's right no one's wrong. Mostly, we use pronunciation conventions that are convenient and their correctness isn't considered.

Delodephius

Postby Delodephius » Fri 22 Jan 2010 1:00 am

My pronunciation of Greek is quite influenced by my native language. I basically read everything phonetically, every letter one sound, and I almost always ignore diphthongs and digraphs.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/

Talib

Postby Talib » Fri 22 Jan 2010 2:18 am

That works for a written language, I suppose, but I'd assume if you were speaking Greek you'd want to pronounce it the way natives do.

I personally prefer to read things accurately even if it's a dead language. It often makes spelling easier, for one thing.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語

Delodephius

Postby Delodephius » Fri 22 Jan 2010 2:30 am

That works for a written language, I suppose, but I'd assume if you were speaking Greek you'd want to pronounce it the way natives do.

Not really. I like "barbarian" accents rather then the native ones.

Talib

Postby Talib » Fri 22 Jan 2010 2:56 am

So in all the languages you're learning, you make no effort to sound like a native?

Would you pronounce γύρος [ˈʝiros] like ['giros]?

dtp883

Postby dtp883 » Fri 22 Jan 2010 3:41 am

I don't see the point of learning a foreign language, if you're going to let your accent be so bad that no one understands you anyway. I mean you'd have to relearn a lot if you become use to the "barbarian" accent, instead of just learning it the right way they first time.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German

Delodephius

Postby Delodephius » Fri 22 Jan 2010 10:18 am

Talib wrote:So in all the languages you're learning, you make no effort to sound like a native?

Would you pronounce γύρος [ˈʝiros] like ['giros]?

I think I'd pronounce it as ['gyrɔs].

I don't learn languages so that others can understand me. I learn languages so that I understand others. If in the process I attain enough skill so that others understand me too then that is just a lucky consequence.

Return to “Extinct languages”