Greek Alphabet computer help

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Greek Alphabet computer help

Postby Stosis » Wed 16 Sep 2009 4:09 pm

Hello, I am taking an introductory Ancient Greek course and would like help writing it on the computer. Last year I fiddled with some keyboard swapping software but they all made my computer run very slowly (1.6GHz core 2 dual so the problem wasn't on my end). I need to be able to write all the Greek letter, as well as, all the diacritics and accents. I'd also like to be able to use it as an on screen keyboard, if possible.

Thanks for any help :D
Stosis

Re: Greek Alphabet computer help

Postby Delodephius » Wed 16 Sep 2009 7:35 pm

I can help you with WinXP if you have it.

In the taskbar in the bottom-right corner you should have a small icon with an abbreviation of the writing system you are using (mine says EN for English). Right-click on it and left-click on 'Settings...'. A small window will appear called 'Text Services and Input Languages'. On the right side left-click on the 'Add...' button. An even smaller window will appear called 'Add Input Language'. Under 'Input language:' select 'Greek' (or any other language, it doesn't matter, the next step matters). Then check the box 'Keyboard layout/IME' and select 'Greek Polytonic'. Then click 'OK' and again 'OK' to close the windows. Now, on the bottom-right corner if you left-click on the EN icon you should have a list of all the 'Input languages', on of them being Greek. When you open a writing program like Word or Notepad to write in Greek either left-click on the icon and select GR, but also Left-Shift + Left-Alt, or Left-Shift + Left-Ctrl (depends on the settings).
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Sobekhotep » Thu 17 Sep 2009 11:37 pm

I have polytonic Greek on my language bar even though I almost never use it. :P
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Delodephius » Fri 18 Sep 2009 12:20 am

I use it occasionally. However, I prefer using pen and paper when learning a language so for digital print most of the time I just end up copying notes from my notebooks onto the Notebook. :-D

I also have other keyboard layouts, and most of them I created myself.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Stosis » Sun 20 Sep 2009 4:07 am

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try it now.
Stosis

Return to Extinct languages