The Future of Japanese

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: The Future of Japanese

Postby Talib » Tue 01 Sep 2009 3:50 am

It's even easier to see where they are with spaces.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Tue 01 Sep 2009 3:57 am

Talib wrote:It's even easier to see where they are with spaces.

Ya big baby. The Romans didn't need spaces, did they?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Tue 01 Sep 2009 6:19 am

They apparently also didn't need macrons, but it helps us read what they wrote now.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 01 Sep 2009 9:11 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
Milantex wrote:
rickardspaghetti wrote:As I don't want the Japanese to stop using kanji, I'd like to see them start using spaces instead.

Hehe... now that's a good one! :D
Glad someone thought of mentioning it! :)

It's pretty easy to see where the word boundaries are, thanks to kanji.

If Japanese were written with spaces, where would you mark some of the boundaries? Even something as simple as 「これはペンです」could be written "これは ペン です" or "これは ペン です." I see people write "korewa" instead of "kore wa" all the time, which is "official?"
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 02 Sep 2009 5:39 am

linguoboy wrote:The Romans didn't need spaces, did they?

The Vedic peoples didn't either, for a while. :)

ILuvEire wrote:I see people write "korewa" instead of "kore wa" all the time, which is "official?"

I don't know if there is an "official" standard for spacing in romanized Japanese. But I prefer to use as few spaces as possible. So, I attach the particles to the word it modifies.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Milantex » Wed 02 Sep 2009 10:21 am

There is no standard or rule for "romajin", but I also prefer spaces, because it helps me see how to pronounce words in a sentence.

Try properly pronouncing "watashinonamaewamilandesu" as a single word (no spaces). It wouldn't sound like proper Japanese. :D
Milantex

Postby rickardspaghetti » Wed 02 Sep 2009 12:36 pm

Milantex wrote:Try properly pronouncing "watashinonamaewamilandesu" as a single word (no spaces). It wouldn't sound like proper Japanese. :D

Watashi? That sounds rather girlish to me(but not as girlish as atashi). Are you perhaps a woman, or a man who wants to be polite? :)
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Postby Milantex » Wed 02 Sep 2009 12:40 pm

rickardspaghetti wrote:
Milantex wrote:Try properly pronouncing "watashinonamaewamilandesu" as a single word (no spaces). It wouldn't sound like proper Japanese. :D

Watashi? That sounds rather girlish to me(but not as girlish as atashi). Are you perhaps a woman, or a man who wants to be polite? :)

I'm just doing it "by the book".. ok ok...

Try properly pronouncing "bokunonamaewamilandesu" as a single word (no spaces). It wouldn't sound like proper Japanese. :D There ;)
Milantex

Postby rickardspaghetti » Wed 02 Sep 2009 1:06 pm

Milantex wrote:
rickardspaghetti wrote:

I'm just doing it "by the book".. ok ok...

Try properly pronouncing "bokunonamaewamilandesu" as a single word (no spaces). It wouldn't sound like proper Japanese. :D There ;)

Let's try me then. 俺の名前は流川雄介です。"orenonamaewanagarekawayuusukedesu".
Do you think we can force them to use spaces? :)

And something else I've been thinking of lately. Do you think the "wa" and "ga" particles will merge into one? If w would become ɰ and merge with g. Plausible?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Postby linguoboy » Wed 02 Sep 2009 1:11 pm

Milantex wrote:There is no standard or rule for "romajin", but I also prefer spaces, because it helps me see how to pronounce words in a sentence.

As part of my job, I have to romanise titles according to the ALA-LC standards. For the most part, they're pretty reasonable, but the Japanese section is a nightmare. As you can see, the bulk of the standard is concerned with when and where to insert spaces (or hyphens) and how to capitalise, with Kenkyusha's standing as the ultimate authority in cases of doubt. The rules are so arbitrary, I've never been able to learn them all and have to refer to the standard almost every damn time.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages