Polyglot Jesus

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 09 Aug 2009 6:55 am

Jayan wrote:I must say I agree with Tyler, but I don't see why you all are discussing this question...I mean, you're just a bunch of skeptical athiest who probably don't believe Jesus even existed

I would like to point out that I am not an atheist. But I'm not Christian either. Nonetheless, I still believe that Jesus/Isa existed & I think it's interesting to hypothesize on his linguistic prowess.
Many of we Hindus believe that Jesus spent significant time in India, during the so-called "lost years" and perhaps also after his crucifixion. So during his hypothetical time in India, could he have learned more languages? Maybe Sanskrit? Pali? Some other Prakrits? Who knows...
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby dtp883 » Sun 09 Aug 2009 8:08 am

Sobekhotep, If you don't mind me asking, are you really a Hindu? I always though you were white. That probably sounds incredibly racist but I've never met a white Hindu before and didn't think that they proselytized. I mean obviously you could've come upon it on your own but yeah.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
User avatar
dtp883
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 10:51 pm
Location: San Francisco Area

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby linguoboy » Sun 09 Aug 2009 4:54 pm

dtp883 wrote:That probably sounds incredibly racist but I've never met a white Hindu before and didn't think that they proselytized.

You've never in your life heard of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby Talib » Sun 09 Aug 2009 7:05 pm

Jayan wrote:1.) Quite frankly, I got fed up with all the postmodern secularism on this forum. I probably should have controlled myself a little more.
Er, okay.

Why would you think it'd be anything but secular around here. This is a language forum; linguistics is secular by default. Religion doesn't factor into what we discuss, that's all.
2.) You ain't seen nutin'. On most of the forums I'm a member on, that post would be consider small for me. Most of them are at least twice as long. :) I've been holding myself back on here and on Unilang.
Please continue to hold back, or you'll be guilty of the phenomenon known as TL;DR (too long, didn't read).
Thank you, Talib, I have taken logic before. And actually, that doesn't perfectly fit the description of a strawman. I learned that a strawman was taking one, uncharacteristic aspect of a person/his argument and attacking that as though it were the whole. You're right, I did assume those things about linguoboy without really knowing them, but I inferred them from other things he has written.
I believe that would be a separate, unrelated fallacy (fallacy of composition) but regardless you did attack what you claimed to be his beliefs, not what he said; and this is not a logical inference to make. If you knew what it was, why did you do it?
I'm sorry if those inferences were incorrect; I honestly thought that he was of the atheist religion from my interactions with him.
Atheism isn't a religion but a onotological belief, and besides, you haven't shown why his religious beliefs or lack thereof have any impact on what he writes about Jesus.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:22 am
Location: Canada

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby Stosis » Mon 10 Aug 2009 1:28 am

Talib wrote:
Stosis wrote:This is an interesting question. It is really hard to tell what Jesus lived like at all (if he wasn't just made up as a kind of parable or some such). It seems likely that he would have known many languages. In many current tribal societies, the members have to know 2-3+ languages because of trade. I don't really know much about this time period but maybe that little in sight will set someone down the right track :D
Well, he didn't live in a tribal society. But I'm not sure how prevalent multilingualism was in that region. Aramaic is a given (there are direct quotes from him in that language) and Hebrew can be inferred as well, but I don't know what else we can make a case for except Greek.
Also why focus on the big languages of the time. Weren't there other local vernaculars, perhaps never written down, that it is likely he could have spoken? or was it a fairly monolingual area as far as the common peasantry?
If they weren't widely spoken and never written down, it's useless to speculate on whether he knew them or not (since we wouldn't know they exist) but as far as I know that area was almost solely Semitic-speaking.


Just because a language wasn't written down doesn't mean we can't know that it existed. PIE was written down but must have existed. Also historians could write about the langauges in Latin, Greek or some other written language.

Also, when I said that he lived in a tribal society, I ment a chiefdom. And when I say chiefdom, I mean by the categories that Elman Service created to divide societies based on social/economic/political systems (sorry I can't seem to find the wiki article, I just keep getting stuff about the service industry, etc...). Although, after reading what my old text book has to say I think that he either lived in a society transitioning from chiefdom to state or any early state society. But now I'm off topic so I won't write anymore.
Stosis
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 11:32 am

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby Stosis » Mon 10 Aug 2009 5:53 am

Ok, I wrote my last post in response to Talib and then a large thunder storm killed my internet :x so I hope you all won't mind the double post.

Since this is already off-topic I figured I'd post some clarifications on what some members have posted that are just plain wrong.

I'd like to first of all like to say that atheism is in no way or can be a religion. It is simply the view that no gods (or goddesses :D ) exist or ever existed. An atheist religion would be like not collecting stamps as a hobby, in fact, I myself am an a-stamp-collector.

Another thing, the evolution of biological species by the process of what is called natural selection is a true theory. I, of course, use the world theory in its scientific meaning, and no that means that you can't say that "evolution is just a theory and not a fact," this makes little sense since theories are ideas of how the world works and are supported by facts. Now, I am not a biologist, so I'm not going to attempt to explain evolution here but I would like to recommend thunderf00t and AronRa who both have excellent youtube channels that deal specifically with debunking the pseudo-science spewed out of many creationist websites.

Along those lines I would also like to note that there is no such thing as micro- or macro- evolution. There's just one, its called evolution.

Also, if you want to disprove evolution then you'll need a lot of evidence and I mean a lot. Evolution has 250 years of evidence stacked in its favour, in order to disprove it you'll need to account for all this evidence in some other way.
Stosis
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 11:32 am

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby formiko » Tue 11 Aug 2009 2:09 am

If you're really interested in the Bible refuting evolution, you can read the 600 pg book
"Evidence that Demands a Verdict", by Josh MacDowell or goto http://www.answersingenesis.org
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
User avatar
formiko
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:31 am
Location: Angola

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby Talib » Tue 11 Aug 2009 7:42 am

I am absolutely not interested in that. When respected individuals in their fields bring a good case against evolution, rather than polemicists with an agenda, I'll listen to them. Until then they're relegated to the same category as the flat-earthers, Holocaust deniers, UFO enthusiasts and people who claim Jesus was fluent in Burmese - cranks absolutely not worthy of any intelligent person's time.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:22 am
Location: Canada

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby formiko » Tue 11 Aug 2009 9:00 am

Talib wrote:I am absolutely not interested in that. When respected individuals in their fields bring a good case against evolution, rather than polemicists with an agenda, I'll listen to them. Until then they're relegated to the same category as the flat-earthers, Holocaust deniers, UFO enthusiasts and people who claim Jesus was fluent in Burmese - cranks absolutely not worthy of any intelligent person's time.


You're judging the book before you know anything about it! I thought the younger generation was more open-minded!
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
User avatar
formiko
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:31 am
Location: Angola

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby linguoboy » Tue 11 Aug 2009 1:27 pm

formiko wrote:I thought the younger generation was more open-minded!

So how open are the authors of that book to the possibility that there was no Adam and Eve, no Great Flood, and no Christ?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests