Polyglot Jesus

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Polyglot Jesus

Postby dtp883 » Sat 22 Aug 2009 11:06 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
dtp883 wrote:many countries and people interpret Islam in a very...barbaric way.

But that's not Islam's fault.

Of course I know that. I meant why would you want to convert to a religion that many groups of it or at least their leaders interpret it in such a hateful and violent ways. Besides the main reason was the one man revelation of the central holy text.
formiko wrote:I agree 100%. People use most religions like a Chinese menu. Pick what you like and leave the rest :(

Do you eat pork or shellfish? Have any tattoos? Do the woman of your church cover their heads during worship?
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Delodephius » Sat 22 Aug 2009 11:24 am

I don't like religions where there is a saviour or a god that watches over everything. I don't like anthropocentric religions. I don't like religions which claim the existence of an afterlife.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby linguoboy » Sat 22 Aug 2009 2:06 pm

dtp883 wrote:Of course I know that. I meant why would you want to convert to a religion that many groups of it or at least their leaders interpret it in such a hateful and violent ways.

But what major religion couldn't you say this about?

Besides the main reason was the one man revelation of the central holy text.

Care to expand on that? Just as Christianity was more quietistic and charitable as preached than as implemented (when concessions had to be made to secular authorities who still wanted leave to wage war and execute prisoners), Islam was more progressive in its conception than in its execution. A lot of what Muhammad tried to do away with got reimported by later interpreters, many of whom relied on dubious hadith to support them.

formiko wrote:I agree 100%. People use most religions like a Chinese menu. Pick what you like and leave the rest :(

Do you eat pork or shellfish? Have any tattoos? Do the woman of your church cover their heads during worship?

Um, in case you misunderstood, he's Christian, not Jewish!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby formiko » Sun 23 Aug 2009 5:30 am

linguoboy wrote:

Um, in case you misunderstood, he's Christian, not Jewish!

Some Christians I know cover their heads always, so as not to tempt men. That's a right that they have. While I have tattoos, my own conviction is that they are wrong, even though we are no longer under the mosaic law, Christ says we are bought with a price, and we are not our own. I just leave that up to each Christian.
I don't eat shellfish because I think they're sea bugs :) , but the Lord said ALL food is made to eat. Paul says that if someone is immature they'll eat only vegetables, but that it is ok. They are not sinning. Christians have a LOT of freedom. Christ died so we may be free. Too many Christians unfortunayely get caught up in legalism, and CHOOSE to have more rules put upon them. (Note, that the moral law was never done away with!)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Yaziq » Mon 24 Aug 2009 5:36 pm

Yaziq

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 25 Aug 2009 1:20 am

dtp883 wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:
dtp883 wrote:many countries and people interpret Islam in a very...barbaric way.

But that's not Islam's fault.

Of course I know that. I meant why would you want to convert to a religion that many groups of it or at least their leaders interpret it in such a hateful and violent ways.

Not all Islamic "leaders" are like that. In fact, 2 of the highest authorities on Sunni Islam, Muhammad Sayyid Tantawy (Arabic: محمد سيد طنطاوى‎) & Sheikh Ali Goma'a (Arabic:علي جمعة ), are both against Islamic extremism & suicide bombings.

Yaziq wrote:So what do you think of this? http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1922201

I don't like it. People should have freedom to express whatever they want. But, since I don't live in Ireland (nor plan on living there) it doesn't really affect me much.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby linguoboy » Tue 25 Aug 2009 2:11 am

Yaziq wrote:So what do you think of this? http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1922201

I think it's even more off-topic than much of what else has been posted to this thread. And that's really saying something!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby formiko » Tue 25 Aug 2009 9:54 am

I don't believe the government has any right to dictate how people should speak.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby mike92s8 » Tue 25 Aug 2009 9:18 pm

Yea as far as that article on Ireland goes. I would have to say that it is the government's
place to protect people from the force and fraud of others. Not to protect their delicate
sensibilities. America has been steadily progressing down this slope, too. So Ireland is not
alone.

All I want to know is what good is free speech if you are afraid of offending someone?
mike92s8

Postby Talib » Tue 25 Aug 2009 9:46 pm

In this case, it isn't free speech any longer.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages