Should we try for more cases like Hebrew?

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Should we try for more cases like Hebrew?

Postby Neqitan » Fri 24 Apr 2009 8:02 am

kaenif wrote:
Neqitan wrote:It will be hard for another language to replace English, unless another Cold War starts with... I don't know, China against the United States or something crazy like that—China being the winner; let alone Latin which is only official in... the Vatican. Plus, with all these guys' fear toward cases, it would be even more difficult.

Oh no! Cold War II!

Don't worry Kaenif, I'm not being serious... yet. :D
But I think Chinese characters and the idioms are much more crazier than English orthography and grammar.

If we don't care about all that ChengYu, English and Chinese are pretty much the same in that respect.
齉... How do you write that character again?

Simple! You just write at the left and at the right! (Click on the characters for detailed drawing. lol Yes I know, it's 36 strokes long, but hell amazing.)
Neqitan

Postby Talib » Fri 24 Apr 2009 2:59 pm

Boy, am I glad I decided not to take the opportunity to have Chinese lessons. Maybe if I lived in Toronto or Vancouver, where there are tons of native speakers, but not here.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby kaenif » Fri 24 Apr 2009 5:16 pm

Neqitan wrote:Simple! You just write at the left and at the right! (Click on the characters for detailed drawing. lol Yes I know, it's 36 strokes long, but hell amazing.)

Being native, I still don't remember know to write 囊... How embarrassing...
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Declan » Fri 24 Apr 2009 10:22 pm

I don't think that English is that easy to learn, there are so many idioms and different vocabulary roots (king, regal, sailor, nautical etc.), as well as oceans of Frenchisms.

Personally I think that regular vocabulary is the most important for a lingua-franca, grammar just takes practice, and "easy" in that regard is obviously relative. But a regular derivation method for vocabulary is easy for everyone.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Apr 2009 12:22 am

I think it would be pretty cool if the Manchu people revived the Manchu language.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Sat 25 Apr 2009 2:49 am

Talib wrote:Boy, am I glad I decided not to take the opportunity to have Chinese lessons. Maybe if I lived in Toronto or Vancouver, where there are tons of native speakers, but not here.

:lol: In El Salvador my parents scolded me for studying Chinese since it was almost completely useless, but here in Vancouver...

Just to give you an image, in the first days after moving to Canada my brother and I went to some examinations for being approved to study certain levels of Math and English (i.e., to see if we complied with Vancouver's standard). Of the near 40 attendants (all of us immigrants), 3 were from Latin America (including me), 2 from Iran, and all the rest from China! (I know because we had to sign we were taking the exam in a list of those who had made an appointment for that day, and everybody was classified by age, country and last name). Cantonese and Mandarin were clearly palpable felt in the air. :D
kaenif wrote:
Neqitan wrote:Simple! You just write at the left and at the right! (Click on the characters for detailed drawing. lol Yes I know, it's 36 strokes long, but hell amazing.)

Being native, I still don't remember know to write 囊... How embarrassing...

Don't worry about it, I also have problems remembering how to write that one and many more and I'm supposed to be a lover of Chinese writing (which makes it either equally or way worse for that matter).
Sobekhotep wrote:I think it would be pretty cool if the Manchu people revived the Manchu language.

Thank you for making a post on topic finally! I also agree with that, but I don't think modern Manchus are really willing to accomplish that...
Neqitan

Postby linguoboy » Sat 25 Apr 2009 6:01 am

Declan wrote:grammar just takes practice, and "easy" in that regard is obviously relative.

I thought that for a long time. Then I tried to learn some Navajo.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 25 Apr 2009 6:36 am

I don't recall Hebrew having case! :-)
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby telal » Sat 25 Apr 2009 9:47 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Declan wrote:grammar just takes practice, and "easy" in that regard is obviously relative.

I thought that for a long time. Then I tried to learn some Navajo.

Oh, this post is funny...in many ways.
לא משנה
telal

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Apr 2009 11:16 pm

Neqitan wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:I think it would be pretty cool if the Manchu people revived the Manchu language.

Thank you for making a post on topic finally! I also agree with that, but I don't think modern Manchus are really willing to accomplish that...

I guess the Manchus have no practical use for it. They're content to just use Chinese. Maybe if they had their own country...
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages