The Extinction of Cromarty Dialect of Lowland Scots

The place to discuss extinct languages.

The Extinction of Cromarty Dialect of Lowland Scots

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 06 Oct 2012 7:01 am

The last speaker of the Cromarty dialect of Lowland Scots, spoken in Cromarty, Scotland, has died.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/05/world/eur ... index.html
Dan_ad_nauseam

Re: The Extinction of Cromarty Dialect of Lowland Scots

Postby Yaziq » Tue 09 Oct 2012 9:52 pm

It appears that both Scots and Scottish Gaelic are in a continuous decline, although there has been some recognition of SG by the EU. I wonder what Scottish public schools are doing to improve the situation.
Yaziq

Postby choc_pud » Sun 23 Dec 2012 6:28 pm

Pretty much naught! But ye can see Scottish Gaelic on road-signs in Scotland.

Near the end of the article it implies that English and Welsh are similar languages! How absurd is that!?

Mae bron dim byd! Ond gall chwi weld Gaeleg yr Alban ar y ffordd-arwyddion yn yr Alban.

Tua diwedd yr erthygl ei fod yn awgrymu bod y Gymraeg a'r Saesneg yn ieithoedd tebyg! Pa mor hurt yw hynny!?

:ugeek:
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby Tikolm » Mon 24 Dec 2012 7:34 pm

choc_pud wrote:Mae bron dim byd! Ond gallwch chwichi weld Gaeleg yr Alban ar y ffordd-arwyddion yn yr Alban.
Sorry to be jumping in here just to correct your Welsh. :roll:
gall is third person, and you're trying to use it with chi (not chwi please, we don't say that anymore). I think you want gallwch, or maybe even just say rych chi'n gallu. But feel free to ignore my advice, as I am still only a dysgwr and we're probably at about the same level.
choc_pud wrote:Pa mor hurt yw hynny!?
Dydy e ddim. Wrth gwrs maen nhw'n ieithoedd tebyg. Maen nhw'n 'Indo-European' (beth yw hyn yn y Gymraeg? dw i ddim yn gwybod).

It isn't. Of course they are similar languages. They're [both] Indo-European.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby choc_pud » Mon 24 Dec 2012 9:06 pm

Sorry I am for the mistakes in "mah" Welsh, but truth be known that were Google Translate. I amn good as that yet! And I congratulate thissen on being able to correct mahsel, especially as tha'rt still naught but a dysgwr!

Aye, they may be both Indo-European, but they're alike as chalk an' cheese! Of course they're both Celtic an' all, but still!

choc_pud

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Mon 24 Dec 2012 10:53 pm

choc_pud wrote:. . . .

Aye, they may be both Indo-European, but they're alike as chalk an' cheese! Of course they're both Celtic an' all, but still!

Agreed. I wouldn't exactly consider Manx particularly similar to Tochardian A. :-)
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Tikolm » Tue 25 Dec 2012 1:55 am

choc_pud wrote:Sorry I am for the mistakes in "mah" Welsh, but truth be known that were Google Translate.
Aha, that would explain the mistakes. After using GT you are! Paid â'i ddefnyddio eto, ocê? At least not for Welsh <> English, because it does a poor to terrible job. "Easier to say than mountain passes" and that.
choc_pud wrote:And I congratulate thissen on being able to correct mahsel, especially as tha'rt still naught but a dysgwr!
Thanking you very much. :)
choc_pud wrote:Aye, they may be both Indo-European, but they're alike as chalk an' cheese! Of course they're both Celtic an' all, but still!
Since when are they both Celtic? :? English is generally considered Germanic; some people (such as my father) think it's Romance due to the incredible number of French loans, but they're wrong.
What have I missed?
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby choc_pud » Tue 25 Dec 2012 3:16 pm

Nay, Tikolm, ah meant tha' Scottish Gaelic and Welsh was booth Celtic, not English.

An' dan_ad_nauseam, did tha mean Tochardian A, or Tocharian? As ah cannae find Tochardian A on Omniglot or Wikipædia.

choc_pud

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Tue 25 Dec 2012 8:16 pm

The Tocharian corpus shows two dialects (or possibly fully separate languages).
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Tikolm » Thu 03 Jan 2013 6:51 pm

choc_pud wrote:Nay, Tikolm, ah meant tha' Scottish Gaelic and Welsh was booth Celtic, not English.
But in the post I was replying to originally, you said that it was absurd that English and Welsh were similar. Then you said this:
choc_pud wrote:Of course they're both Celtic an' all
and I assumed 'they' referred to Welsh and English because you hadn't given it another antecedent.
In any case, if you were referring to Gaelic and Welsh, there's no denying they're quite similar. Never mind about the w's and y's or the Q/P split; you have to look past all that.
Tikolm

Return to Extinct languages